PDA

View Full Version : Vapochill Insulation Question

Bravo
01-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Hi

I picked up a second hand vapochill unit. The coolant line to the CPU evaporator needs to be reinsulated, and i was wondering what sort of plumbing/house hosing i could use ?

TodB
01-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Yep, I need to do it also :)

Is this lack of 100% insulation lowering the cooling capabilities? :rolleyes:

bowman1964
01-23-2003, 01:43 PM
well no problem guys.
i get all mine from lowes or home depot.
really cheap about 3 dollars us for a 6ft piece.:D

forgot i live in the us not sure were to buy anywhere else...:confused:

TodB
01-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by bowman1964
well no problem guys.
i get all mine from lowes or home depot.
really cheap about 3 dollars us for a 6ft piece.:D

forgot i live in the us not sure were to buy anywhere else...:confused:

What exactly did ya use? :confused:
pictures?

TheDude
01-23-2003, 05:30 PM
I got mine at plumbing and heating store by the foot. I don't have pics, but it comes in a roll and is about 1 inch wide and wraps around hose...works well. I think it's called something like armaflex..close to that anyway...probably many brands. Go to a heating and cooling place and describe what it is for, they should have it or be able to direct you to someone. I would imagine without any insulation at all, you would have severe condensation problems...waterfall!:D

TodB
01-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
I would imagine without any insulation at all, you would have severe condensation problems...waterfall!:D

Well I do experience some compressor condensation, but I'm unsure that's due to lack of insulation....

I made some insulation on the cooling line, but that compressor condensation...... and can't figure out what causes it.... :stick:

bowman1964
01-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by TodB
Well I do experience some compressor condensation, but I'm unsure that's due to lack of insulation....

I made some insulation on the cooling line, but that compressor condensation...... and can't figure out what causes it.... :stick:
well that means you are lucky somewhat.;)
your system is a little overcharged with refridgerant.that means you cpu isnt boiling off all the refriderant off in the evaperator that you compressor is pumping in.so the excess refriderant is flowing back to the compressor and causing the compressor to cool of enough to cause condensation.
if it was a adjustable system like we make ourselfs with charge ports,i would lower the charge because you dont want any liquid going into the compressor.that will kill the life of the compressor.
but i doubt if you have that problem on a pre fab unit.if you did you would hear the compressor making a clicking sound while it is running.
now to stop it just glue some foam around the compressor where the line goes into it from the cpu evap head.where ever you saw condensation on the compressor which i am positive you saw it right around where the hose goes back in.that will stop it.foam only needs to be 1/4 thick or so.it will not take much at all.:cool:

TodB
01-24-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanx bowman1964, I owe you one :toast:

I was thinking it's a faulty compressor or it's f*cked up :rolleyes:

Bravo
01-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. In Aus, there is a store called clark rubber (for any future Aussies visiting ;)), i was told they should have what i need :)

Nico
01-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Bravo,

Clark rubber have 'Superlon' which is pretty good, I went with 'Aerocell/ Aeroflex' which you can get from Bradford insulation. Armaflex is also good and can be obtained from Aircon stoes like Lovelocks.
Aeroflex has really closed cell structure which is probably the best option, also go for 1/4" I/D with 3/8" wall. It should stretch enough to fit right over the evaporator without spliting it , but if not just cut and then join with contact glue (works a treat and you can barely tell its been cut)

Friar Tuck
01-31-2003, 03:33 PM
If you are going to be re-using the clamshell gasket on the bottom of the clamshell after it has been split, make sure that when you put the clamshell back together, that there are NO air-gaps in the gasket....otherwise you have a possible condensation problem.

Anywhere that air can enter the socket area has to be sealed off completely. Otherwise, you can expect pin-rot within a month.

FT.