PDA

View Full Version : Do you like asian imports?

scarface_what
01-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I do, got myself a civic hatch for winter and a 97 prelude pending engine work (nothings wrong just some random cheap mods)

softpain
01-08-2006, 08:45 AM
They are the best!!;)

BSill
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
i like most cars if they are done up in a clean manner. But nothing is like a lingenfelter vette

Romain
02-06-2006, 12:46 AM
i like most cars if they are done up in a clean manner. But nothing is like a lingenfelter vette

I feel the same way..but Lingenfelter Vette? nothing special there :slap:

BSill
02-06-2006, 06:26 AM
nothing special about a 900hp TT vette? do you drive something like that?

Stewie007
02-06-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't touch imports. :) :p

Soulburner
02-06-2006, 08:31 AM
And they don't touch me ;)

Stewie007
02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
:toast: :toast:

axion
02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
They're fine as long as they're not riced out.

computerman0416
02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I have a nice asian import..my wife!!! :lol:

sin0822
02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
lol that was a good one

[XC] leviathan18
02-06-2006, 06:17 PM
i like rx-7 skyline gtr and supras those are the best cars.....

Soulburner
02-07-2006, 12:28 AM
I have a nice asian import..my wife!!! :lol:
You know that's funny, because I work at immigration and have processed those alien fiance' forms...

Some people bring back some fairly good looking women :cool:

Tanktanium
02-07-2006, 01:05 AM
To be frank, the best imports are the ones that are actually imported...when GM and UAW joined forces and put a huge tax on incoming trucks in the early 90's, that really killed off the ability for cheap, reliable vehicles to be sent in from japan. So the Japanese car companies decided to build plants here, and after that, the quality started to decline...

Just for an example, I've had my 1992 Toyota Pickup 22RE 4 cylinder (manufactured in Japan) for 14 years, 155,000 miles, never ever had a major issue and I drive the hell out of it on a daily basis. The fuel filter hasn't ever been changed either (doing that this week)

ciento44
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I sold my 1985 Toyota pickup with 22re last month. Had 268k miles, no rebuild. i had just replaced the clutch, so it was finally on the 3rd clutch, ran like new.

Had a 7" lift, and 33" tires, so it was pretty silly looking, but fun as hell. I didn't want to drive it from Upstate New York, to Indianapolis, where i just moved, so i sold it for pretty cheap.

My 1993 Celica GT is still going strong, that 5sfe engine is totally bulletproof. 168k miles, the original exhaust finally bit the dust maybe 1000 miles ago, i had the original clutch replaced 3000 miles ago, and it feels just as fast as it did when my friend's parents bought it with 22k miles on it, 8 years ago.

I'd love to see how long the engine will actually hold up, but it's getting swapped out in early November for a low-mileage 3sgte.

So, yes, i do like Asian imports. The cars, not the girls... nothing against ComputerMan, but i've dated two, and they were just too much drama for me.

zabomb4163
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
The only thing i like about asain built cares if they last for along time without having to spend $$$ on maintaining them. Most of the cars built in the US are nothing but junk that break right after the warrenty is over

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005069

Buick and cadillac are #4 and #5 in reliability. both ahead of #7 toyota (#1 is lexus)

[XC] leviathan18
02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
i have a 1994 toyota corolla 88k km built here in venezuela nothing more than water oil and gas for it... if you see it you will believe is brand new is everything stock and well conserved, love the little car

Deadeye550
02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
personally I dont mind imports but for some reason I really dislike Honda, maybe because all of those :banana::banana::banana::banana: kids and there riced out civics and what not.

Soulburner
02-14-2006, 11:45 PM
personally I dont mind imports but for some reason I really dislike Honda, maybe because all of those :banana::banana::banana::banana: kids and there riced out civics and what not.
Yeah it really gives them a bad name. They do make a good economy car.

Deadeye550
02-15-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm sure they do, but now I just wont touch em. :slap: Probably my loss

Romain
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
nothing special about a 900hp TT vette? do you drive something like that?

Um, i dont believe they make 900HP and thats only if your talking about a 2005 or later LS7 Z06. Im refering to a regular LS1 with some Lingenfellter, mmkay

sokarul
02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
I would say I stay away from the imports but my Ford has a Mazda engine and mitsu throttlebody and alternator.

OmegaMerc
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Love imports, best features are (usually) light weight, high rev, smooth aerodynamic body. I HATE - HATE - HATE civics, because every f*cking hispanic dude in NYC drives one with a muffler the size of a house making the loudest noise possible and not breaking 35mph when in 3rd gear. Gah. If your going to throw the race card at me realize that, you should live in NYC (bronx, bk, queenz, spanish harlem) first before saying its not true, AND that I am part spanish. :cool:

ToxicBug
02-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Imports are great. I love Honda performance.

Stewie007
02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
The only thing i like about asain built cares if they last for along time without having to spend $$$ on maintaining them. Most of the cars built in the US are nothing but junk that break right after the warrenty is over

Where do you get your information? Asian car companies? You sound like this guy I work with who claims that American cars don't last but 4 years. Meanwhile, I'm wondering how mine hasn't warranted but standard maintanence, neither has my mothers car, or the previous 4 cars we've owned.

My car is 6 years old. Warranty was up at 36000 miles, currently at 76K. Standard Maintanence only.
My Mother has a Buic Lesabre, Warranty is also up, 70k Miles, no major repairs
Had a Chevy Lumina. Had 108K Miles on it before the accident that cost it its life. Needed only standard tune up. Had only very minor issues here and there.

You just say the same thing everyone says about American cars. By the way, did you know more Japanese cars are built in the US? *snickers*

You people and you're Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc.. You try to act like you've never had to replace a part on any of them. Pfft. Give me a break. I'm tired of hearing how "American cars just aren't reliable."

I'll tell ya, your Asian Companies have really sucked you in by their marketing and gotten you to believe that "American Cars aren't reliable."

You know, I find that most unreliable cars these days are the fault of the owner. People like my sister who had no idea cars needed an oil change. And Oh, I didnt know I was supposed to change my air filter, or change the transmission fluid now and then, or even take it into the shop but once every god knows how many miles. People think they can run high octane cas in a car designed for 87 without reprecussions. When their converter gets burned out and clogged, they blame GM. But they ignore the fact that they were running a hot engine and the converter wasn't speced for it.

And any company will spec their components appropriately. But I find that people pretend it didnt happen, when it happened to their Honda. But once it happens to their Chevy, the same darn thing, they're cryin like a 3 year old after his parents took away his cookie.

I'm tired of blind worship of companies like Toyota, and Honda, and Nissan, and Mitsubishi, who should I remind you almost went under years ago...wonder why...

I will continue buying GM. I haven't seen any of this crap that people go on about. You can talk junk all you want; but I know what kind of owners most of you are. You don't take care of your stuff, or you think you do, but you'll do things against spec, like running high octane and even adding octane boosters with every tank and think you're gonna get away without it coming back to bite you.

[XC] leviathan18
02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
at havent see any japanees car roll over cuz suspesion defect (ford explorer)
or burning themselves when they are off (ford explorer) or haveing problems with fuel line and burnin (my mom nearly died cuz of that) (fairlane)

but i have a toyota fj70 with 300k km no problems with it.... one friend have a nissan sentra with 490000km on it just brakes tire oil filters and the timming chain i have a toyota corolla with 89000km nothing at all just oil and fuel

but i can sau there are american cars that are GOOD ones my uncle has a chrysler caravan with 350000km and never complained but i dont like ford and chevrolet

Stewie007
02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
at havent see any japanees car roll over cuz suspesion defect (ford explorer)
or burning themselves when they are off (ford explorer) or haveing problems with fuel line and burnin (my mom nearly died cuz of that) (fairlane)

but i have a toyota fj70 with 300k km no problems with it.... one friend have a nissan sentra with 490000km on it just brakes tire oil filters and the timming chain i have a toyota corolla with 89000km nothing at all just oil and fuel

but i can sau there are american cars that are GOOD ones my uncle has a chrysler caravan with 350000km and never complained but i dont like ford and chevrolet

I don't believe a word of it. You don't get even near 100k miles with just oil and fuel.. That's bull :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I'm no fool. You're full of crap, and I dont believe a word you say. You're just exaggerating, and only a dummy will believe you.

300,000 miles on just brakes, oil filters and the timing chain... Yeah, and monkeys are flying out of my butt. I know the human psychology too well to buy that. Now you only have to tell me what other repairs and major tune ups had to be done.

My car? 45,000 Mile Service, 60,000 Mile Service, oil changes, transmission flush, and other self done maint. That's what I call standard maint. Tires don't count, they have nothing to do with the auto maker.

Now, rephrase your post with what ACTUALLY was required instead of using the same damn fib that other boneheads use. Don't be a bonehead, you should be better than that if you think you know something about cars. Its just that everyone uses that lie; so all are true, or none are true. And how many times are ALL true? Never. It usually is all exaggeration.

P.S. I dont care about Fords, because I don't like them either. I am a GM man, and I can attest to the quality that they have delivered. They have had a minor issue or two, like early on an alernator problem in the Lumina. Replaced free of charge.

Oh, and I feel that I should note to you that standard maintenance doesnt just include an oil change. 100K service is standard maint for a 100k+ car. So don't try to think yer gonna get slick here.

Pinnacle
02-15-2006, 07:53 PM

I second that. As a powerlifter, its only fitting that I need muscle :)

[XC] leviathan18
02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't believe a word of it. You don't get even near 100k miles with just oil and fuel.. That's bull :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I'm no fool. You're full of crap, and I dont believe a word you say. You're just exaggerating, and only a dummy will believe you.

300,000 miles on just brakes, oil filters and the timing chain... Yeah, and monkeys are flying out of my butt. I know the human psychology too well to buy that. Now you only have to tell me what other repairs and major tune ups had to be done.

My car? 45,000 Mile Service, 60,000 Mile Service, oil changes, transmission flush, and other self done maint. That's what I call standard maint. Tires don't count, they have nothing to do with the auto maker.

Now, rephrase your post with what ACTUALLY was required instead of using the same damn fib that other boneheads use. Don't be a bonehead, you should be better than that if you think you know something about cars. Its just that everyone uses that lie; so all are true, or none are true. And how many times are ALL true? Never. It usually is all exaggeration.

P.S. I dont care about Fords, because I don't like them either. I am a GM man, and I can attest to the quality that they have delivered. They have had a minor issue or two, like early on an alernator problem in the Lumina. Replaced free of charge.

Oh, and I feel that I should note to you that standard maintenance doesnt just include an oil change. 100K service is standard maint for a 100k+ car. So don't try to think yer gonna get slick here.

before callin bs all i said why you dont read i SAID KM kilometers not miles i live in venezuela we dont use miles here...

so nop im not full of crap i dont BS i dont have too :fact: ive never done it for me i will take european cars above all then japanesse and as last resource american cars but i like chrysler they are good for me...

my mom had a chevrolet blazer 45k km and we had to make the whole front train of the truck, i will never buy again a chevrolet.

as a recomendation please read well before making any ideas and calling ppl like that because is a bad thing....

Pinnacle
02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
before callin bs all i said why you dont read i SAID KM kilometers not miles i live in venezuela we dont use miles here...

so nop im not full of crap i dont BS i dont have too :fact: ive never done it for me i will take european cars above all then japanesse and as last resource american cars but i like chrysler they are good for me...

my mom had a chevrolet blazer 45k km and we had to make the whole front train of the truck, i will never buy again a chevrolet.

as a recomendation please read well before making any ideas and calling ppl like that because is a bad thing....

This argument can go back and forth, forever. I got a 93 Grand Prix, 270000 KM on it an nothing has gone wrong with it. I had a 89 Pontiac 6000, Had 290000 KM on it and only one transmission replacement.

ciento44
02-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Stewie007, now you're coming across just as those people that you have a problem with, just with the letters "GM" in place of whatever import they were talking about.

My Celica has never had anything but standard preventative maintenence, including a full brake job, ONCE. The clutch has been replaced, ONCE. The flex tube has been replaced, ONCE. Other than that, it's just been the regular oil changes, tune ups, standard maintenence, and nothing more. It has never once failed to start, has never left me stranded anywhere, and has never recieved any engine damage from any source, including itself.

168k MILES.

I may have gotten a good one, i don't even know. My air conditioning still works, and i'm without the power steering hose leaks that usually become a problem on the 5th gen celicas.

Oh, sorry, i had to replace the front passenger side seat belt.

Most newer cars are pretty reliable, provided they are taken care of correctly, which i believe you said in your post before you started your anti-asian rant.

Do tell us why Mitsubishi almost went out of business a couple years ago. Do tell us why Nissan almost did, too. Do tell us why Toyota is on track to become the worlds largest car manufacturer within a decade.

Andrew LB
02-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I like some Asian import cars. Subaru STI/WRX, Mitsu Evo, and a few others are noteworthy. Its a shame that many of my favorites are no longer made like the RX-7, Supra, etc. I also wished they imported the Skyline. The new one just doesn't do it for me. (last i saw it)

I'm more a fan of European styling. Audi, BMW, Benz, the very nice but unaffordable choices from Italy like Lambo, Ferrari, Bugatti, etc...

I wish US automakers would get back up to speed on styling and quality because i would prefer to buy an American made vehicle. But I don't see anything worth buying coming from the big 3 in the near future.

x3ro
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I woudlnt mind having a Skyline gt-r or supra twin turbo with new ecu.. turbo upgrade and shortshift kit .. It wil smoke 99% of the cars from 0 to something..

Regads

amduser
02-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Love imports, best features are (usually) light weight, high rev, smooth aerodynamic body. I HATE - HATE - HATE civics, because every f*cking hispanic dude in NYC drives one with a muffler the size of a house making the loudest noise possible and not breaking 35mph when in 3rd gear. Gah. If your going to throw the race card at me realize that, you should live in NYC (bronx, bk, queenz, spanish harlem) first before saying its not true, AND that I am part spanish. :cool:

don't complain. in germany most young turks (*ahm, let's they that's the the german version of hispanic's*) drive around in bmw 3serie. mostly in a 318i or 320i (* i don't know why those kid's drive with such small engine's around*). anyway the point is, those kind of people make a bmw 3serie nearly unpayable (*insurance charges *). i would be pretty happy if those people would drive around in honda's instead of bmw 3serie. with a good eingine the 3 serie stuff is pretty good going (*for example a 330d*).