Hi guys,
I only used a few OS in my life
Win95,WIN98/SE,WIN2000 Pro,WinXp PRO

I haven't touched any Linux distro yet

I would like to know what is the world's fastest booting operating system

It's for music only.
Not Gaming nor multimedia.
Only music playback

I'm doing a Mini-itx project using Via mini motherboard and I realy want to boot as fast as possible.

PS: Also if you know any good Program to speed up the booting proces i'd appreciate if you could post a few URL's

Thanks a lot

Smizack
01-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Windows ME is actually the fastest of the Microsoft line. Then XP, then 98.

Never used any progs to speed it up, but my XP boots in about 20-25 seconds.

Logic-Pro
01-22-2003, 03:21 PM
This is what I was going to put (winME)
but since I don't know much about Linux, maybe something is faster?

Smizack
01-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Logic-Pro
This is what I was going to put (winME)
but since I don't know much about Linux, maybe something is faster?

I think it's takes my linux machine about 3 or 4 minutes to boot up. I don't think you'll get any faster than WinME.

Of course, I'd also recomend against using WinME as it's the biggest pile of an OS ever created.

Logic-Pro
01-22-2003, 03:38 PM
But for Music playback would it be "stable" to use winME?

Mp3 Car.

Smizack
01-23-2003, 07:37 PM
But for Music playback would it be "stable" to use winME?

Mp3 Car.

I'm assuming it would be but it never was stable for me. I've heard others swear the've never had a problem but the general belief is that it's just not a good OS.

What's with the fast booting anyway? Why not just leave it on?

Smizack
01-23-2003, 07:39 PM

Mp3 Car.

What does this mean? Is it going on a laptop?

pulverizer
01-23-2003, 07:43 PM
ME = Stable.....NEVER! But yeah, apparently it does boot the fastest, but do those 5, maybe 10 seconds really matter that much for this system. And linux does take a really long time to boot. Also, you probably would want something very stable if you are using this in a car, as you do not want it to crash when you are driving, cause then you would have to stop to reset it.

Tweaked!
01-24-2003, 10:17 AM
ME was truly the worst product [M] put out, but it is also the easiest to recover, as long as you schedule it to automatically snapshot the system every so often. Recovering it wouldn't be any worse than selecting tracks for playback while driving.

JBELL
01-24-2003, 10:51 AM
I had WinME and pushed the hell out of it - and it was ROCK STABLE for me ... I loved it and still do... but WinXP is only thing I use now and soon will be running Linux again.

TheDude
01-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I tried ME once (came installed on a hdd I bought) and hated it. I had XPpro installed on NF7-S with xp2700 and when OCed with tight ram timings, I was amazed at how fast it booted...hardly had time to read the screens....but I pushed it too far and think bios died...waiting on RMA now.

makatee
02-18-2003, 07:41 PM
My gentoo system boots up in 11 seconds...I just tried 3 different times to get an average. Its running on an Athlon XP 1800+ with 256 megs of ram. Nothing special software wise. Its a great distro, but the install isnt incredibly fast. Be patient, cause when its done, it will OWN.

makatee

Erik21d
02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
I agree with Makatee, Gentoo is incrediably bada$$ but Logic-Pro has never used a linux OS before so I dont think it'd be a very good choice for him. It's kinda hard to install for novices.