PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed!! ASAP!!

Pivo504
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
So what do you guys think??? I am currently on the market for a new car since I lost my 2001 V6 Accord EX coupe in Hurricane Katrina. Currently I am looking for a car with RWD, good amount of power, and good gas mileage. I want something that is a step above my accord. The current cars Ive looked over are the new Lexus IS250 (only drove the IS350 but its a monster @306HP but 36k price tag too high), the Infiniti G35 coupe, and currently looking at the BMW 325i series thats in the same price range as the above. I want to know everyone's opinion on whats the best car for the price and the most reliable as thats what really matters when buying a vehicle in this luxury price range....

Mr. Manka
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
2005 gto
nice proce tag
rwd
400hp

Pivo504
01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
lol Ive narrowed it down to the three cars above...Not digging the GTO looks....

Vapor
01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd recommend the RX-8 but it comepetes with the Suburban for fuel economy and needs to be driven spiritedly to get anywhere.....but from those I'd DEFINITELY get the G35, no questions asked. Nearly 300HP, great looks, same platform as the 350Z, readily available engine upgrades should you ever yearn for more.

I have a 325 from back when the 2.5 was the biggest engine you could get for the 3-series (it's actually the 2.7L from the 528 with a shorter stroke and tuned for much more torque and longer life [i.e., lower-revving as well]) and I can't justify buying a BMW that has the worst engine available for the series (in America at least). Yes, they make GREAT cars (mine's 21 years old and she's still going GREAT [it's mint too :D]), but there are funner cars out there for sure (that cost less to repair as well).

Pivo504
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Well I was def looking into the G but then looked into its gas mileage which wasnt too great at 18 city....Then I switched to the IS which gets 24 city but its the IS 250 version which only has 205hp at 32,600. The dealers areant doing deals since its the new revision...I talked to some texas dealers that would be willing to do 750 above invoice on the G35 which would put me at around 33,500....1g more for almost 80more hp plus two doors, sweet ass sounding exhaust ect...jus :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty gas mileage and kinda smaller inside and noiser cabin.

Vapor
01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Gas mileage shouldn't be too much of a concern unless you drive A LOT (and since you're quoting city figures, I doubt it)....while you may cringe each time you fill up, in the long run it's not costing much at all.

I'd also bet with a little coercing, you can get the G35 to at or below invoice, too. ;)

Stewie007
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Avoid the BMW, Lexus? I don't like em, but there's nothin wrong with em. And I've always been convinced that the Japanese have no idea what a coupe is.. :p

But if you wanna buy luxury, get a Cadillac... Why do you think BMW has to offer free maintenance? And you see less and less Mercedes on the road? ;)

Although I agree, the GTO is ugly... Thats what they get for importing the entire thing. It will be redesigned in 07-08. It will also come with a nice sibling, reportedly rwd called the G8 which will replace the grand prix.

Unfortunately, its 2006. :p

And don't be knockin any of those cars I just mentioned until you drive one. The Grand Prix GXP has plenty of power, smooth as a buick, and very quiet on the road. Heck, the G6 Coupe GTP is a very nice car and also rides very smoothly for a coupe and the 3.9 Liter has enough power. Throw a turbocharger into that 3.9 and you'll get 350HP easy..

But out of those three I can't say. But I don't think Infiniti's are all that great. They really aren't any different than Nissan's. They have some of the same models, with a few upgrades and a slightly better sheet metal and they add over 10 Gs to the price. Oh please. :p

Oh, and I should mention that that G35 will eat up alot of fuel. Its a 3.5 Liter tuned way up to the 280-290HP range. I'd expect 15-16MPG city and 21-23MPG Highway.

Just look at it this way,what do you want in your car?

Pivo504
01-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanx for the post Stewie it made me think about a lot of things. As you can tell from the first post I had, I lost my car in Hurricane Katrina and I currently do not own any car, its been since August 31st. I am coming from an Accord V6 coupe EX model and I feel the need to step up the game. Well what I am looking for in a car....Im starting to sway away from 2 doors since mine was starting to get very invonvient and annoying. What I need in a car is stunning looks, something that the pontiac line just doesnt have in my eyes and many cars for that matter... My sister owns a Acura TL 03 model type S and I love this car. It drives so smooth and has about 250-270hp but is FWD and I cant copy off her..heh I wanted the G at first but the ride just doesnt seem smooth enough for me eventhough it does have 280hp and as you mentioned the gas mileage is horrible. I couldnt sacrifice something like smooth quiet ride for 280hp's that I wont use all that often...And as you said about the bimmer Ive heard about those same issues and again reliability is 1st for me, as I never had any issues with my accord the 5 years I owned it and I hear Lexus has amazing reliability...Well maybe I answered my own question and should get the Lexus IS, the only thing holding me back is that it only comes with 204hp for 32k since its a new model and it just came out....Well keep the opinions coming guys, and again speed is not an issue I just need a fairly quick car for everday driving not racing....

Stewie007
01-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Lexus does have reliability, no denying that. So if you got one I wouldn't be sitting here telling ya how much garbage it is, cause I really can't hehehe. :)

I really can't give you any real guidance on foreign cars except a few that I have encountered myself. I just know that reliability is pretty even right now. Although I do admit, I tend to give Japanese cars alot of fodder hehehehe. I'm trying to tone it down ;)

The G6 GTP Coupe would give you a bit better gas milage since it isnt tuned up so high. It could do 300, but why? But it offers a little more than your accord, so not really a step up.

[XC] leviathan18
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
lexus IS250 is HOT i like it very very much

the g35 is a nissan 350z why you dont get the 350z? or maybe audi A4 rs but i dont know if they are rwd also honda S2000 was elected best car 2004-2005 perhaps M3 bmw

Newbie_User
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
So, to resume :

2001 V6 Accord EX coupe (previous)
Lexus IS250/IS350
the Infiniti G35 coupe
BMW 325i
2005 GTO (Based on Australian model from commodore with corvette C5 engine?)

Your choice tends to :

?

You want smooth gaz mileage, and 35.000 $ cost....?

i will see about your models......

The IS (350) looks great....a bit futuristic like the Honda Accord (Euro specs)
She's certified to have Ultra-Low emission....
She also is a 4WD and has an automatic Gearbox (traditionnal or CVT?) or manual 6.
Tuned suspension....

Now the GTO
more traditionnal
older design but she can still bite......muscle car at his best, 2000 century :)

The G35 (baby bro of the Skyline?)
We have a european model that would look close : Nissan 350Z
Engine seems to match......also a FWD and it exists in cab...?

Seems to be a good car....well balanced....but weighty
5 Auto or 6 manual....

Also, and Vapor is right on this, the Mazda RX8 has an awesome chassis....
Brakes, suspensions, low weight, high-rpm's engine that would need a compressor.....fuel mileage is bad in the other hand....Wankel engine....:) :(

Bmw 325i....US...Aouch
Only in 4 doors...:( for 05 spec
We do have both the 320i 05 spec so four Cyl....;(
the 325i @ 218 hp's spec 05 and reasonable fuel mileage :) around the price (conversion)

What do you try Diesel engines.....there you'll have good fuel mileage ;)
Search :
BMW 320D (163hp's and 340 Nm torque)
BMW 330D (231 Hp's and from 400 Nm manual to 500 Nm auto :)

Give a try to the new lexus based on 2.2 liters Diesel engine...177 hp's and 400 Nm....Lexus is preparing a Coupe.....

Otherwise...try the Hybrid cars.....and get yourself a motorbike....

I don't understand how there are so many cars in the US....with only one person inside........usually to make a few miles.....
Ok, your cities are wide....giant....i would say.....

If you want to save the planet....get an Hybrid or an "economic" car....

If you want sport...assume it and get on with it....

In France, we are already taxing car due to their emissions.....

So ,you have the money (lucky bastard :)
You have the choice.......
Be happy......

Or tell us more about the cars.....specs...or so....

To Leviathan18 :
Audi are FWD or 4WD :)
RS 4/6 modes as well as S series....are 4WD Quattro....

M3 Coupe or Convertible as well as Honda S2000 are for enthusiasts....:) Incredible cars

Pivo504
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Well I threw BMW up there recently after seeing my friends white 325i and its an auto tranny which I would need. However, I need 100% reliability and Ive lately been hearing about problems with bwm's and also the Audi's...As for the lexus front the IS350 is just too much at 36k since lexus will not negotiate...So I would have settle for a IS250 only difference between the two is 100 less hp everything else is the exact same. My accord was fine but its low end power was pitiful and I heard that the lexus IS's are very quick and responsive on the low end and this is what I need since I usually do more city driving than hwy. I am starting lean on the Lexus as of now, but my mind can change when I actually go to buy. So far Ive only test driven the IS350 (no 250's to test out yet) and G35coupe auto of course. I appreciate everyones feedback and would like to hear more hopefully some members here own these cars and can comment!

Pivo504
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Newbie user when is Lexus coupe coming? Will this be based off of the IS or a totally different model? Ive heard the rumors before but I still think it'll be in the price range of 40k and up and useless for me to wait. I guess from the options you can tell that I am searching for a more luxurious car with a smooth ride vs the mazda and pontiac options that are like muscle cars..I mostly do normal driving and Im not a show off =) heh I just need an engine thats quicker than my old accord but not massively faster, as those accords that I owned were said to have been pretty slow anyways...That was probably due to the engine having crappy low end power, even my sisters acura has somewhat sluggish low end compared to the G35's engine and Lexus IS 350's low end power.

[XC] leviathan18
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
porsche boxter or s2000, acura rsx type r (sweet ride)

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9599/acord3ii.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
nice accord this one

sinister1st
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
ANY one of the Lux cars you are looking at will make you:D . I have a lex ls400 and it is awesome. Just like hardware it will be soon outdated:) . I put 20 inch rims on mine a while back and It just looks flawless "all black on chrome".

Be prepared for a high price tag on any maintenance with a LUX car. If you can build a phase then you better be able to fix a LAC:D . The next ride I buy (well im shooting for will be caddy escalade) I sold my 83 devillle with hydros and it would cost a pretty [penny} to fix if anything went out and it is was an old caddy. Cut the top off it to make a convertible. (BAD A**)

If money is no object and you have it FOREVER then go with a mercedes: best of the best. But be very prepared for a nice price tag for any maintence.

My fan cluch just starting to hicccup and It costed me 1000$ to fix with a few extras. :toast:

Pivo504
01-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Well Im trying to get something new and different. My friend owns an RSX and that car is very small inside so I dont want the same thing. Out here I have yet to see a IS 06 on the road. I always always always see bmw's everywhere I go as well as mercedes. I am starting to see more and more of the G35's as well. Hence my point I want something that hardly any1 has out there right now. And on the mercedes front it just doesnt look like my style. Its got that more for grannies and grandpa's lookand not a younger sporty yet luxurious looking ride like the IS and the G rides...But thanx for the opinions guys and once again Im going for Automatic transmission and not manual, and Im not liking the new accords either...ahhh some1 on this entire forum has to own one of these two cars!!!

[XC] leviathan18
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
i have top gear magazine best car maker lexus best car honda s2000

Newbie_User
01-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Look at this....

http://www.mbusa.com/models/class-overview.do?modelCode=c_class_main

It's funny since we have in europe a wide variety of cars @ this price range where you only have a few models here in US :)

You're looking for a Mercedes, trust me.....i would advice a C 350 Sport....
272 hp's and and awesome engine....both torque and power combined with reactivity......

I would say about BMW and Audi reliability.....
We have here in europe cars drom those brands where users can't usually pay for a decent maintenance.....and they are driven by show-off ;)
Those cars usually have 200.000 or 250.000 kms on the clock.....
They run fine......

BMW makes some great cars....especially 3 serie and 5 serie......
Unfortunately, the RWD architecture will limit the inside room for occupants...due to the transmission tunnel.....
But those cars are dedicated to driving......fast reactivity, from both engine or steering....good feeling of the road.....but limited brakes in intensive use....

In US, however, you should have a different Automatic gearbox management law, rather oriented to confort more than to reactivity.
Overall gain can be up to 1 sec. low @ the 1000 meters :)
I also suspects that US BMW models does have a lower number of hp's than in Europe......emission low i suspect.
Straight sixcylinders in line will give you some serious :banana::banana::banana::banana: for your money ;)

I will see about the Lexus Coupe....i found the news in a decent Auto magazine called "Le moniteur automobile"...serious and to the point...period :)

If you want reactivity....try a Diesel......
If you are used to gazoline engine......try a Diesel......
Reactivity is awesome...due to the torque.......
No gazoline engine @ this price range can match a Diesel Engine with Auto GearBox......due to the amount of Torque present @ less than 1500 rpm's.....
On the other hand, high rpm's are what i like and cannot be associated with the Diesel philosophy.....
But if you want to outrun an :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana: that's teasing you.....just have a heavy foot and see his smiling face disapear in your rearview mirror ;) Diesel...my friend

And the fuel mileage.....from 6 to 8 liters per 100 kilometers.....even less from smaller cars......

See this....
http://www.audiusa.com/model_home/0,,bodyStyleId-1,00.html?bodystyle=a4sedan
and test drive some with DSG gearbox.....;)

or

http://www.vw.com/passat/index.html

It's a shame...no TDI engine in US.....

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MS6
from MPS mazda concept car :)

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Accord+Hybrid
The car is not beautiful.....but it rocks.....
Tune it and you'll have a beast...versatile car :)

So......that's all........

I own a 1.4 liters four cylinders car with 75 hp's and 120 Nm Torque.
It's sufficent enough and i get 7-8 gazoline fuel mileage per 100 kilometers city....6 liters on the road....
1000 kgs......

Have you chosen...??

Pivo504
01-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Newbie user your right the Mercedes you mentioned I would def considered it however its out of my price range with an msrp of 38k....And please try to pay attention to my posts. I am looking for automatic transmission car and for a lot of the companies such as BMW ect they charge 1-2k extra for auto transmission....I dont want to be spending anymore than 35-36k total with tax title and liscense. Thanx again for all the responses but I am staying away from Audi and BMW. But Ill look more deeply into benz. Keep the opinions coming!

Stuperman
01-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Saab 9-5 2.3T?
WRX STI?

[XC] leviathan18
01-07-2006, 07:40 PM
wrx doesnt come auto and he wants a confortable but nice ride...

im with IS250, IS300, S2000, nissan 350z, toyota MR2 (small but ive heard good coments), audi a4 3.0 convertible or S4, audi TT quattro, bmw 330cd M sport coupe,mazda 6 speed, mazda rx8, mercedes slk 280 conv or 350 conv, VW golf rs32 (just kidding)

Pivo504
01-07-2006, 07:46 PM
lev the price range is 35k total with tax title and liscence...lol clk 280

NoX
01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I would wait until June and buy this beauty.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6854/10187mn.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7509/0512bmwz4coupe039005dy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Vapor
01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
That's gorgeous, although likely out of budget and a couple months past due date.

Newbie_User
01-08-2006, 12:57 AM
To Pivo504 :

Sorry....kind of get mad when trying to sell cars ;)

Didn't know that the charge 1k-2k for Auto gearbox...especially in US :)
Marketing laws...WHo are those guys :p: :p: ??

Mercedes should fit for you.
After, i do not have sufficient knowledge of the American MArket to give you good advices for American brands.

Would you consider a used car ?

i'm going to edmunds.com....quite a fair choice for luxury Coupé..
BMW M3 Cab from 2002...33.000 $ :)

Wait a minute.....there are some TDI models in US :)
Golf and New Beetle Coupe or Convertible....sober and fun...
But it's nit your tea cup, right ?

Will find some ideas.....know is the time to run :)