PDA

View Full Version : freezing heatsink

jaawood
01-21-2003, 11:22 PM
I was thinking it might be a good idea to freeze the hsf combo before overclocking, or at least "cool" it a little in the freezer. Would this be cheating on an air system, it seems like it would be a little cheating - starting with a sub zero temp hsf. Just a thought.

Kurrurrin
01-22-2003, 12:04 AM
I would think the coldness of it would be gone in barely a moment, so it would be a pointless gesture. Thats just what I think would happen, so take it as such.

IFMU
01-22-2003, 12:28 AM
I would have to agree. With even the best of luck it would last a short while. In the best circumstances it might let yea get a few extra Mhz and then once the temps have dropped (i.e. lost the freeze) you could run into probs with the temps.

Firelord-OCHW
01-22-2003, 04:50 AM
Move to the artic and run your PC out if its case. Then you'd have a frozen HSF :D

CCW
01-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Think that maving to Iceland would cost more than a watercooling kit though....

Craig

felix88
01-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Firelord-OCHW
Move to the artic and run your PC out if its case. Then you'd have a frozen HSF :D

well, jaawood does live in Alaska. i bet it gets pretty cold there this time of the year.

i believe KE does a nifty little ducting job with his systems when it's cold and dry up there in Alaska.

CCW
01-23-2003, 08:47 AM
u could prob run cpu WITHOUT hsf there, mind u, u can do that with a p4 anyways, talk about heat protection

Craig

KnightElite
01-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by felix88
well, jaawood does live in Alaska. i bet it gets pretty cold there this time of the year.

i believe KE does a nifty little ducting job with his systems when it's cold and dry up there in Alaska.

Yeah, I'll have to rebuild that image gallery, the thread I had it posted up on in hardforum got deleted. I'm not from Alaska ;), although it is -25ºC out right now :D.

felix88
01-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
I'm not from Alaska ;), although it is -25ºC out right now :D.

eh? i coulda sworn you said you were from Alaska in some thread at the hardforums.

anyway, it was a cool ducting setup. i wish it got cold enough here for something like that to be worth my time.

jaawood
01-23-2003, 05:41 PM
I am thinking in agreemnet with yall now, hs/f probly wouldn't hold coolness very long. But man, its actually pretty warm here right now, usually 10-20 F, but its like 40+F. Worse than that theres no snow, I love snow. Just been a warm year I guess. However, if it was normal 10 F out, that would make a nice aircooled bench outside...sometimes I hate the weather. Homer is usually warmer than the interior Alaska, where it gets great temps, -75 F, and it would be like freezing the hs/f.

CCW
01-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Also, what about condensation? The heatsink would heat up fairly quickly. Also, the phenonimum (ok, a word i cant spelll! :D) known as "creep". When metal gets colder and hotter it expands and contracts, if it does it too fast the heatsink clip could snap off, this has happened to me and my XP1800+ burnt out.

Craig

Firelord-OCHW
01-24-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by CCW
Also, what about condensation? The heatsink would heat up fairly quickly. Also, the phenonimum (ok, a word i cant spelll! :D) known as "creep". When metal gets colder and hotter it expands and contracts, if it does it too fast the heatsink clip could snap off, this has happened to me and my XP1800+ burnt out.

Craig

Yes that is true BUT you use the mounting holes round the socket or use a PIV type mounting frame :D

KnightElite
01-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by CCW

Craig

If you used a frozen heatsink, yes, it would heat up quickly. If you are pumping air that is extremely cold into your case, it will eventually reach equilibrium, and stay that way. Condensation is not an issue then either, because that only happens when warm air cools down, not cool air warming up.

CCW
01-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Agreed, you are right!

Craig

PimpJack
01-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Next time u take a beer out of a COLD fidge look at the can. Condensation everywhere. Imagine a nice pool of water in ur system when ur checking out the low temps lol. Even so it would be completely pointless couse it would last for a couple of minutes and a 3dmark run would have u back at what u started.

FishaOfMen
02-10-2003, 09:57 PM
If you insulated well, you could throw a piece of dry ice on your heatsink. That would do the trick for a little while - long enough to run some benchmarks. The stuff basically goes straight from solid to gaseous state, so you don't have to worry about liquid on your components.

DRaG0nBLaD3
02-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by KnightElite
Condensation is not an issue then either, because that only happens when warm air cools down, not cool air warming up.

Originally posted by PimpJack
Next time u take a beer out of a COLD fidge look at the can. Condensation everywhere. Imagine a nice pool of water in ur system when ur checking out the low temps lol. Even so it would be completely pointless couse it would last for a couple of minutes and a 3dmark run would have u back at what u started.

...Short logic test. Is it the can getting warmer, or the air getting colder, that causes the condensation.

ANSWER: It's the air getting colder. It's all about solubility, the ability of a substance to contain small amounts of another. General rule of solubility, is that the warmer something is, the more of something else that can be dissolved in it. Take a cold glass of water and a warm glass of water, and see which one can dissolve more salt. You'll notice that the warm glass can hold a lot more before being supersaturated (saturated to the point of not being able to contain any more). You'll also notice that as the cool glass warms, it can dissolve more salt, and as the warm glass cools salt begins to collect at the glass's bottom.
Air works the same way. Cold air contains a certain amount of water, Warm air a greater amount. When warm air cools, it's unable to contain as much water, so some must be lost in the form of condensation.