PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my HZ's

rgdiz
01-03-2006, 06:03 PM
For a few weeks I have been trying to get my x2 4400 to run with my HZ's that replaced my Ballistix dual kit. They work better but so far not very much joy - running memtest 1.65 straight from boot @200 fsb I was getting no errors, ran test 5 for 2 hours, but when I boot to WinXP I get to login then the system restarts. I can boot to safe mode and use the machine but not in regular mode.

Right now I have the machine set to 250 fsb and I'm running memtest 1.65 test 5 and I thought I was alright until pass 45 when it failed twice then ran okay until pass 56 when it failed twice again. I increased cooling and so far (pass 77) it appears to be okay. If it is the heat that's bothering the ram, then I am wondering if the WinXP install is bad (I didn't blow out the machine after the Ballistix I just reset the CMOS).

G.S.Tech? any thoughts?

Anyone else any input?

Repoman
01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Do you have your BIOS settings right? Try Drive strength/data drive strength of weak2/2 or 3/2 depending on your BIOS. TREF of 3684.. see if enabling 2T helps as your mem controller/mb might not be able to keep up. Lower your volts to 2.6/2.5, some kits seem to like low volts

Also check if the failing addresses are the same every time, I learned that the hard way :rolleyes:

rgdiz
01-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for your response.

The mem addresses are not the same and since I increased the cooling (I added a fan) the passes have not errored out (90 passes). I am not at all sure if my settings are okay, I'm a noob at overclocking and tempramental boards, as it stands right now I'd just like to get the setup to run decently at ddr500 and regroup.:D

rgdiz
01-04-2006, 04:20 AM
I stopped the memtest this AM. I continued the test run of test 5 through the night and since I added the fan it hadn't failed again. When I stopped it, it had reached 312 passes and had not failed since pass 56, which makes me feel better, as I hate to RMA and wait for the returned parts.

GSKILL TECH
01-04-2006, 08:42 AM
hmmm i would recommanding runing memtest windows version. memtest86+ is good for the damage ram test but not windows stable test

rgdiz
01-04-2006, 11:25 AM
"G.S Technician hmmm i would recommanding running memtest windows version. memtest86+ is good for the damage ram test but not windows stable test"

I can't get into Windows unless it is in safe mode, so I don't believe that running Win memtest will be of any conclusive value in safe mode.

Thanks for the response, though..............

GSKILL TECH
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
"G.S Technician hmmm i would recommanding running memtest windows version. memtest86+ is good for the damage ram test but not windows stable test"

I can't get into Windows unless it is in safe mode, so I don't believe that running Win memtest will be of any conclusive value in safe mode.

Thanks for the response, though..............
oh didn't know you can't go into windows

kakaroto
01-05-2006, 11:40 AM
First make sure your OS is not screwed. Do you have other RAM you can boot into windows?

rgdiz
01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
"First make sure your OS is not screwed. Do you have other RAM you can boot into windows?"

That's just it, I was just looking for some input that it looked like it was screwed. As it stands right now, I believe I"ll just format and re-install.

Thanks for the help, and can you tell me where to get settings for my mobo and your ram, I would like to run at 250 which would be a straight clock of your ram at ddr500.

rgdiz
01-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Well G.S.Tech, I'm still having problems. I can't get it to run at 250 FSB even with fairly loose timings (3 4 4 10 2t). Maybe I should be trying dividers?

GSKILL TECH
01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
i really suggest you to do the RMA , maybe it has problem

rgdiz
01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
I ran the cpu/ram tests recommended by Angry and Rgone from dfi-street, and determined that my processor tops out at FSB 245 multi 11, and my ram tops out at FSB 250 (3 4 4 8 1t). These settings were with mostly defaults selected, 14.25v on cpu, cpu special +110%. I could probably get more out of them but I am aircooled and have had my cpu go to 60+ a couple of times testing. I hope the temps improve with a new cooler (Freezer 64) and the addition of Artic Silver.

Anyway, all I wanted was to run at FSB 250 x 10 or so, and I can get there now with FSB 237 x 11 = 2607, which is not spectacular, but not real shabby either. If I decide I want more I guess I'll have to go with a water cooling system, which might not be a bad idea since my computer room is normally about 80f degrees.

GSKILL TECH
01-24-2006, 10:01 AM
would you please tell us like what program or test you use to determine the top FSB for CPU and RAM :) thank you

rgdiz
01-24-2006, 11:25 AM
I downloaded this:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049

and then in the first section there is a guide to how to setup your machine to test your cpu and the reset to test your ram.

Hope it helps, sure helped me. So far I'm running cleanly for the first time since I bought the stuff.