PDA

View Full Version : New headset, which?

OmegaMerc
12-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Im looking for an over-the-ear and mic combo headset, I don't want to (but will If I have to) spend over 100$, anyone got some good recommendations? Heres one I DONT recommend. S&S Steel 5H headset, bought it day it was released from Denmark, now they are right ear is gone unless i jiggle it all over and as soon as I move my head its gone again. Dropped it only once first month, been treating them like gold, sucks that they are already busted :mad:

OmegaMerc
01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Based on the headphones FAQ, I decided to go with a Sennheiser HD595 can, thank you! :banana: :toast:

OmegaMerc
01-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Based on FAQ here decided to go with HD595

BSill
01-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Altec Lancsing Heads are pretty nice as well.

Daveb2012
01-03-2006, 04:15 AM
I have sennheiser hd-595s incredible sound combined with an x-fi. Im listeing to them right now.

Magnj
01-03-2006, 08:28 AM
I ordered the altec Lansing AHS 502...25$ apparanlty they are awesome

OmegaMerc
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I have sennheiser hd-595s incredible sound combined with an x-fi. Im listeing to them right now.

Awesome, glad to hear that! (pun intended)

OmegaMerc
01-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Okay well, I ordered from lcdtvs.com because of their pricing and 4/5 star review. I placed order on monday 1pm EST, they shipped it out 12noon Thursday, EVEN thought I talked to a sales rep reasuring me package was gonna be shipped between 24-48hours of placing the order. Package was shipped with two day, will arrive monday, full week to place and deliver an order, very upset. :mad:

yuckfou
01-13-2006, 10:08 PM
how about HP895.
happy user here.

Mr. Urt
02-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm also looking for a headset. The thing I'm worried about is that I wear glasses, and typically wearing normal headphones is uncomfortable and doesn't achieve good sound isolation. I was thinking about getting something like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002ZI4LK/sr=1-2/qid=1139164016/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-7836039-1916632?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) (I know it's for xbox, but a 2.5mm to 3.5mm would solve this) because I think that design would be better for glasses, but that's more of a purpose built communicator rather than headphones with a mic. Since I'm a college student living in dorms, I will be using these for sound in all games, so I don't think just having a speaker in one ear would do be much good. Compounding this is that I already have er-6i's for my mp3 player that could be used in games where I don't need to communicate. Still, I think having one headset for everything would be a lot better. So any recommendations would be appriciated, as I've never used a headset with my computer before and really have no idea what I'm doing.

OmegaMerc
02-05-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm also looking for a headset. The thing I'm worried about is that I wear glasses, and typically wearing normal headphones is uncomfortable and doesn't achieve good sound isolation. I was thinking about getting something like this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002ZI4LK/sr=1-2/qid=1139164016/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-7836039-1916632?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) (I know it's for xbox, but a 2.5mm to 3.5mm would solve this) because I think that design would be better for glasses, but that's more of a purpose built communicator rather than headphones with a mic. Since I'm a college student living in dorms, I will be using these for sound in all games, so I don't think just having a speaker in one ear would do be much good. Compounding this is that I already have er-6i's for my mp3 player that could be used in games where I don't need to communicate. Still, I think having one headset for everything would be a lot better. So any recommendations would be appriciated, as I've never used a headset with my computer before and really have no idea what I'm doing.

If you want some sound isolation you should look for a cheapo-ish over the ear headset, the link is "half" a headset, as sound only emulates from one ear, very piss poor for true gaming.

Kizz
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I've been thinking of buying some Sennheisers but the price has put me off - my Speedlink Medusas are more than enough for my use (I doubt I'm enough of an audiophile to notice the difference). I too have the problem with fitting them over glasses - these 'phones aren't too bad because they seem to be made for people with massive heads, so they don't clamp onto me too tight :D.

powned
03-06-2006, 03:57 AM
i was reccomended Speedlink Medusas 5.1 headset but im not impressed with it.. sound quality whas not what i expected. the build quality is not great either. if i where to buy again id invest the same ammount of money in a good quality stereo headset/mic. Also just gone wireless and the amp gets mad interference from my wireless lan card.. sounds like someone farting.

jinu117
03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Sound quality wise, you would be better off with plantronics gamecon pro (USB based). Their non usb sibling doesn't sound quite as good. (probably can make it as good with proper tuning on sound card) I've placed order on pretty expensive set called ultrasone hs-75. Will find out if it is worth the money spent.... pricing is right on some mid end audiophile headphone.... but it has nice mic... we shall see.

PS) without mic... I would have gone senn myself... -_-; But mic is important unfortunately.

RiceLover
03-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Just got these and man for 20 shipped they own:D Just wish they were usb...

gr8golf
03-16-2006, 12:22 AM

Altec Lansing AHS302i is a headset with the standard jacks and a USB adapter they can plug into - so you can use them either way. I think they sound fine and the mic is pretty good. Cheap too!