PDA

View Full Version : testing the waters

_INDY_
12-29-2005, 10:28 PM
first post YEAH been looking around reading alot of stuff now for the onslaught of questions :toast: this is gonna be a long one so be patient

since i started building this computer the idea was for it to be 1) quiet, as it sits less then 4 feet from the head of my bed. B) able to be left powered on for long periods of time, becasue i'm too lazy to turn it off and power it up in the morning III) once it was finally up and build i wanted to be able to watercool it so as to aid in my overclocking but still look clean and unassuming, kinda like the my nieghbor looks sweet and innocent but once you...........uhh yah never mind. ok enough with the crap talk here's the specs taking into account all i know about watercooling is what i've read which is alot but it don't mean crap compared to hands on experience

SYSTEM
Case: Antec p-180
PS: Antec neoHE 550
MoBo: asus A8N-Sli prem
CPU: AMD 3800+ x2
RAM: OCZ 2GB Platinum
Video: eVGA 6800GT running in Sli
Harddrive(s): 74GB sata raptor x2 and 1 36GB raptor
sound: SB Xfi plat
dvd/cd: Plextor 716SA
other: thermaltake hardcano 13 fancontroller/mediareader

ok now here's what i was thinking for the h20
all 3/8ths tubing
Pump: swiftech Mcp350 or csystems mag
CPU block: maze4
GPU block(s): maze4 with ram sinks
Rad: black ice pro or extreme 120.1 configuration
Res: single 5.25 acrylic res

i realize it's not the most high performance h20 but with this setup i've read that the maze's perform well with such a low flow pump so i figured why not so what do you guys think? for the record the 74 gb raptors are in the bottom section and the 36gb is my os drive, which i tend to drag around with me in my shuttle to friends houses and such ;) it get's taken in and out often thats why i didn't put it in the bottom with the other drives. So what do you guys think gimmie some input here

thanks
Marcus

madgravity34
12-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I would reccommend a better pump and cpu block. Go for a D5 pump and a apogee or tdx cpu block. Probably also want to go with a 120.2 because a single 120mm rad wont quite cut it for good overclocking. Especially, with SLI'd 6800gt's. Also, if I may make the suggestion, go with sli'd 6800gs's they seem to do much better because they overclock much better than the older 6 series models.

_INDY_
12-30-2005, 06:23 AM
i have heard very good things about the gs's but i already have 2 gt's

[XC]Atomicpineapple
12-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Definitely go for a better CPU block, just got myself a 2nd hand TDX and I love it, with 20 degree ambient air im getting 30 degrees full load on an X2 3800+ at 2.75GHz 1.58 volts (have removed IHS though). Rest of the loop consists of an Maze 4 GPU block cooling an X1800XT, a D5 pump, an alphacool tripple 120mm rad and a DD 5.25 inch bayres.

moonlightcheese
12-30-2005, 07:54 AM
go for 1/2" tubing. the flow will be better and yeild slightly better temps. for a super performance system you will want a Storm G4 CPU block and Maze4 GPU block. as an alternative, the MCW6002 is a good bet and performs better than the TDX, especially at the flow rates you will have with that pump. the MCP350 is not terribly low flow and has decent head for the size of the pump. the C-Systems pump is not recommended as they have terrible flow and pressure and the highest failure rate of any pump on the market. for a radiator there is nothing better than a PA120.1 but the black ice pro is a good second option as it is not very restrictive and has great cooling properties for silent setups (although not as good as the PA series) and it's also very reasonably priced.

Hi Performance
Swiftech Storm G4
Maze4 Acetal GPU
D5 or MCP655 pump (they are the same unit)
PA120.1 radiator

Mid Performance (better price)
Swiftech MCW6002
Maze4 Acetal GPU
MCP350
BIP1 (black ice pro)

Bloody_Sorcerer
12-30-2005, 08:32 AM
actually, go for 7/16 ID tubing and 1/2" barbs. thats ideal. For CPU block, swap to an MP-05 w/ N03 plate. swap the pump to a D5 and get a 2x120 radiator.