PDA

View Full Version : Opteron 170 IHS question

grozni
12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
What temperature drop can be expected if I remove IHS from Opteron 170. I will probably buy TT BT. I'm planing some overclock nothing special. Wil I get anything with IHS removed. Thanks in advice

IvanAndreevich
12-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Are temperatures a limiting factor for you?

grozni
12-27-2005, 05:44 PM
After reading I saw that tamperatures can easily reach 50C+ when overclocked. No one mention which cooler used, but anyway I was just wondering what temperature drop can be expected? I bought 4000+ SD before with IHS already removed, temperatures are 45C max and 33 on idle on 2.5GHZ, 250x10. I don't know how would be with IHS on that 4000+. I guess it has to be higher temperatures. I have Zalman 7700CU on that San Diego 4000+. Anyway I will buy for Dual Core that TT BT, but temperatures are what concern me most, I know it will do the good job on idle., but I want to overclock a little:) Anything bellow 50C is good to me, with IHS on or without, just want to make right decidion to remove it or no

IvanAndreevich
12-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Is it an OEM or a Retail? I'd test overclockability first before deciding whether to remove the IHS.

Calderbrae
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Is it an OEM or a Retail? I'd test overclockability first before deciding whether to remove the IHS.

Agreed. If the temps arent ridiculously high with IHS on and the overclock stinks, then not worth the risk of removing the IHS if the chip is a terrible clocker to begin with. By risk I mean forget a RMA should the chip need to be sent back for warranty service.

grozni
12-27-2005, 07:31 PM
OK, 170 will arrive very soon to me, it is OEM.....then I will know about overclock and temps. Thanks in advice.....

arisythila
12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
My Opty 170 only hit about 38c.... under load...

I dont think that is hot...

~Michael

dave_graham
12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
there have been a few of my 170s that have hit over 50c on load, but this seems to be a rare thing. varies from system to system, definitely, but general concensus is a 4x celcius reading with IHS on and MAYBE a 1-4 c drop afterwards. But then again, i've seen plenty where no noticable drop has been seen.

dave

oqvist
12-28-2005, 12:32 PM
How big is the risk of killing a opteron by removing it? Is it hard to do?

dave_graham
12-28-2005, 12:34 PM
How big is the risk of killing a opteron by removing it? Is it hard to do?

there are some tutorials floating around somewhere. you CAN damage some of the capacitors/resistors when cutting off the IHS (and hell, you can damage some of your fingers too...LOL!) but...not exceptionally hard.

dave

palehorse
12-28-2005, 01:01 PM
there are some tutorials floating around somewhere. you CAN damage some of the capacitors/resistors when cutting off the IHS (and hell, you can damage some of your fingers too...LOL!) but...not exceptionally hard.

dave
The most dangerous part for most people seems to be after removal: safely mounting a HS or block without damaging (crushing) the core.

dave_graham
12-28-2005, 01:07 PM
The most dangerous part for most people seems to be after removal: safely mounting a HS or block without damaging (crushing) the core.

imagine that? :) i wonder how many people try to RMA those...LOL...

dave