PDA

View Full Version : n00b with X2 OC question, need help.

BigPhillyEd
12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok, n00b to OC'ing, but I mod comps and cases. So naturally the next step in my art work is OC'ing.

Rig:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
2GB Crucial Ballastix PC4000 (DDR500)
7800 GT
(2) Samsung Spinpoint HDD's
Custome Water Cooling (Swiftech and Danger Den)

I have been trying to use this link http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1497607&enterthread=y for OC'ing, which was recommended by a few others on ExtremeSystems. Its really not working for me. I think its partly due to the Asus board and bios. I do have the 1013 version which is the version for dual core.

Ok, here is where I am now: (CPU-Z Validation (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=58527))

CPU 2499Mhz 250HTT x10 Vcore 1.475 4x
Ram 3-4-4-7 @2T 3.0Vdimm

Aquamark3: GFX 15,639 CPU 10,498 FPS 89.63

Ok, now I know I am supposed to use 1T command for the ram, but I have read a few places the Asus board will not allow HTT higher then 240 on 1T. Now I havent ran any other benchmarks or memtest till I know these settings are ok. But I think I can still get slightly better performance out of it. I would like to be able to hit at least the 100FPS mark in Aquamark3.

When I try the 1T command I get an overclock error in post from the bios. Now I tryed using clockgen, but that prog doesn't work very will, keeps crashing system, probably because they dont have a version specifically for the A8N-sli board.

Now I tryed maxing the HTT, as per the OC guide link above. And I got to 300 before I got a post OC error. Which I notice sometimes that happens, reboot and it boots the next time no problems. From what I gather I should be able to hit 315. But I just didn't want to push it to much further. The next step I took was isolate my cpu per the guide which I got to 240, but I just don't think I was isolating it correctly. See the guide is a little sketchy, and I dont think the guide is any good for the Asus mobo's. The problem i run into is max mem speed. My PC4000 should run at DDR500 which would be 250 in dual mode. Now on the Leeget review he has this ram running max 286 @ stock timmings which I think is 3-4-4-8. Now I am totally lost at the divider, because Asus boards dont list the divider like normal. In my bios mem settings are 200-233-266-333-366-400-433-466-500-533-550-600. Now I am assuming u simply divide these numbers in half to get the mem speed everyone is talking about when they refer to 100,133, etc. But the guide is very complicated about the max mem testing.

Now I used the Gogar Athlin 64 Optimzer (http://math.gogar.com/athlon64.cgi) and tryed loading in some of the settings the script said to use. Most of them would fail post for OC error, except the settings I have presetly. So that tells me I am doing something wrong. I understand every mobo is different and evry CPU reacts differently. I would be happy with my current settings, but I know I can tweek it a little more to get the best performance. And I am pretty sure its something with my ram and timings.

Another thing in the guide I didnt understand was the lock stuff for sata 1 and sata 2! If anyone could read that part and comment.

I havent set my raid up till the oc is done. I am sure that will give me alittle bump in performance. Bu sometimes messing with bios, at least twice now, I had data corruption in windows files. And either had to do fresh install or recovery. Big pain in the ass, so I ill wait tillits OC'd.

Now if anyone could shed some light on what I am doing wrong, or has some data or info on how to OC this beast it would be awesome. Just the basics for now is good. I found a guide to max performance the ram, by adjusting other settings, I'll get to that after I know I have a stable OC'd machine. I also have all the stuff to tweek the bios to, but again will wait till after I have a baseline OC. Just give me the feedback guys. Take it easy n00b to OCing. Just have some patience. I am trying to reduce the learning curve and trial and error stuff. Thought you guys could help me.

Thanks in advance for the help.