PDA

View Full Version : i killed my 9700

piercedandtatto
01-19-2003, 06:15 PM
I noticed my 9700 non- pro was overheating pretty bad and i had heard that sometime the heatsink doesnt sit good on the gpu because of the shim. I pulled off the heatsink, cleaned off all the thermal past and put on some as3. I then reseated the heatsink and took it off and there was almost no connection between the h/s and gpu. I then decided to take the shim off and reset the h/s. this worked fine, i had good contact. i put the card back in and started to play a game of ut2003. about 15 minutes into some serious fraggin my pc locked up. so i restarted and now i cant get into windows. the bios screen comes up and the screen saying "starting windows" comes up and since i didnt restart properly the disk checking runs. All this goes with no problem till its time for windows to get to the desktop, then the screen goes blank with all kinds of funny colors and lines. i can actually hear the windows start up music but cant see the desktop. My first instinct was i used too much as3 and maybe it ran off onto some of the resistors. so i pull it back apart to inspect around the gpu and i realize when i took the shim off by sliding a razor blade under it i had cut off 2 of the resistors:brick:. I have no idea what these resisters do and i cant understand why i could get into windows before and not now but im pretty much giving up on getting this thing to run again. I just got this thing about 5 days ago. :upset: :am: :censored: :cussing:

Below is a pic of a 9700 gpu and arrows pointing to the 2 resisters i cut off

RichBa5tard
01-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Damn that sucks. :(

Have you tried to resolder the two resistors? If your card is not permanently damaged, it could get your card back working.

piercedandtatto
01-19-2003, 06:56 PM
well i would try that if i could find them, i have no idea where they went. Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack

RichBa5tard
01-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, but those needles are worth 300 bucks so start searching. :)

DR. YT
01-19-2003, 07:06 PM
i have a friend that knoked off two resistors on his gpu and the card ran fine i know its hard to beleave but i swar its true i know this dosent help but you could pm him hes a wonder420 hes a member of this forum

piercedandtatto
01-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by docyt
i have a friend that knoked off two resistors on his gpu and the card ran fine i know its hard to beleave but i swar its true i know this dosent help but you could pm him hes a wonder420 hes a member of this forum

thanks ill send him a pm

my card did run fine for about 15 minutes, so i know its possible

DR. YT
01-19-2003, 07:24 PM
the funny thing is when he did it he was also taking his shim off and the card overclocked like 30mhz more.

piercedandtatto
01-19-2003, 07:37 PM
i just tried it again and still nothing, cant get into windows:brick:

Im gonna see if i can purchase the resistors and solder them back on, if not im just gonna buy a new one and not the non-pro either. gonna get a good quality 9700 pro

P.S. If i cant get this thing working and one of u super computer guru's think u cant do something with it ill sell it Real cheap

RichBa5tard
01-19-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by piercedandtatto
P.S. If i cant get this thing working and one of u super computer guru's think u cant do something with it ill sell it Real cheap

I'll remember that. :D Even if i wouldn't get it to work, it would be a real shame to throw it away.

piercedandtatto
01-19-2003, 08:35 PM
I just e-mailed sapphire and asked them what type of resistors to get. lets see if they reply.

jaawood
01-20-2003, 12:23 AM
could you possibly just rma it and rip off the place where you bought it from? Wouldn't be very nice, but it would solve your problem and they might never find out you accidently screwed your card.

piercedandtatto
01-20-2003, 07:27 AM
i guess i could try as but its completely obvious that the heatsink was removed, i used a needle nose pliers to remove the plastic puch pins and it is very noticeable.

Xenogias
01-20-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm also ineterested in the card if you never get it to work. Give me a pm sometime in the future if thats the case.

piercedandtatto
01-20-2003, 09:55 AM
I just sent in an rma request and im gonna send in the card tomarrow. If they do reject the rma will they send it back? If its rejected i would like to try to find the resistors and try to fix it myself. If all else fails and i end up buying a new card i will let all u guys that are interested know whats up.

RichBa5tard
01-20-2003, 12:41 PM
good luck! :thumbsup:

Boss
01-27-2003, 07:45 AM
...bout 2 months a go I did prety much same thing with my GA-7VRXP...while taking the CPU off screwdriver sliped and f*** up one resistor....didn't even realise that moment only after I tried to boot like zilion times with no succes, came to my mind.......I sent the mobo to the store I bought,they send it to the guys they bought from and after 3 weeks ( xmas,new year) they send me another one,and even better.They send me rev 2.0 and mine was 1.1 .......so doesn't hurt to try,I don't think that they even look at it that much....works-doesn't works,send another one,.....

Goos luck.....

piercedandtatto
01-27-2003, 09:03 AM
i sent it in and they approved it i think.....just says item defective, pending parts allocation, rma will be completed no later than feb 7.

Boss
01-27-2003, 05:45 PM
great .....glad to hear that....I'm sure u feal much better now...

piercedandtatto
01-27-2003, 08:57 PM
i am very relieved:banana:

sysfailur
01-30-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by jaawood
could you possibly just rma it and rip off the place where you bought it from? Wouldn't be very nice, but it would solve your problem and they might never find out you accidently screwed your card.

Hahah..... wow, I must be Satan to you :P