PDA

View Full Version : Diy Gpu

oublie
12-17-2005, 07:16 AM
There was a time long long ago in a galaxy far far away when some of us owned computers like the Commodore Amiga. Now like all good overclockers we were never happy with the standard 512k video memory nor the 68000 Motorola cpu so like all tweakers they had to go. The original memory chip was call Fat Agnus (honest) all the chips had womens names. So this was replaced with Fatter agnus with 1mb of video ram, also out went the 68000 to be replaced with a 68030 chip running at a blistering 25 mhz (as far as i remember). Now this type of thing is common place, we buy the best motherboard we can and plug the fastest or highest fsb rated memory in along with the fastest processor we can and pray for huge 3dmark or super low superpi scores. in that respect we are still doing what has always been done albeit with the help of liquid nitrogen :D

Now as you know the choice of motherboard processor and memory (along with a decent psu can make or break a system. But what im thinking is, isn't it about time the graphics card followed suit. It would be great to be able to purchase the graphics 'daughter board' you wanted socket ati or socket nvidia and then choose the ram amount and speed along with the processor you want, plug em in and away you go. So you've got yourself some super fast ddr3 memory on the board but the gpu is holding you back so in you go and buy your new 'R999' ati chip replace you current chip and your back in the game.

In essence what im talking about is graphics cards following the way of the mother board i.e. buy the base unit and plug in the chips you want. We've been doing it for quite some time with our machines so would it really be that hard to do with a graphics card. As you know companies like ATI sell most of their chips to 3rd party companies like ASUS Leadtek etc etc, who i would assume do just this. Im guessing what would be needed is a easily removable chip for the gpu i.e not soldered directly to the board but in a socket. The same would go for the ram with the chips being mounted onto a pcb that plugs into the main gpu board (im no talking motherboard ram style before anyone say it wont fit or we couldnt run sli or cool everthing).

Granted the overall cost of a graphics system would be higher but hey when has that ever stopped anyone here. I mean if you just want a machine that works, we would all be running budget dell systems with onboard graphics :)

What do you guys think, this is plausible as it was done before memory wise with the old vga graphics cards having extra slots for memory chips. I thinks its time the Graphics card producers went a bit oldskool again giving us the ability to tweak and configure our own gpus wouldnt it be nice to upgrade to a 512mb nvidia gtx from your current one just by plugging in an extra 256mb rather than having to fork out another £500 for a new card?

[XC] leviathan18
12-17-2005, 07:29 AM
that is the socket nvidia and ati are working.... soon we will something like that

trakslacker
12-17-2005, 11:33 AM
its been discussed around here before. I'd expect it to be a reality soon, maybe within 2 years or so. There have been semidefinite rumors that both ATi and Nvidia are working on flip chip boards.