PDA

View Full Version : Creative X-Fi driver issue

Repoman
12-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Every once in a while on my rig, I'll get quick mouse lag and sometimes music will stop playing for about a half second, like it just freezes up really quick and then comes back to life. I traced it to "DPC" process, which has something to do with device drivers. More info on it here- http://www.sysinternals.com/Informa...vancedDPCs.html

I tried uninstalling Creative drivers first to isolate the problem (don't ask me how I knew ) and sure enough with no sound card/drivers windows worked fine, no CPU usage spikes. Tried installing the old drivers on the CD since I never had any problems with them, and same thing.. uninstalled them and suddenly no more problems. So now I'm back on the newest drivers, maybe once every 5 minutes my CPU usage will spike up really quick due to DPC and go back down. I have no idea what to try next.. if anyone else notices these issues with Creative cards or has a fix please post it.

Thanks

mdzcpa
12-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Place the card in the very last PCI slot furthest from the CPU. Also, disable any non essential features such as Irda, firewire, etc, etc, whatever your not using. Freeing up some IRQs this way will help.

Every once in a while on my rig, I'll get quick mouse lag and sometimes music will stop playing for about a half second, like it just freezes up really quick and then comes back to life. I traced it to "DPC" process, which has something to do with device drivers. More info on it here- http://www.sysinternals.com/Informa...vancedDPCs.html

I tried uninstalling Creative drivers first to isolate the problem (don't ask me how I knew ) and sure enough with no sound card/drivers windows worked fine, no CPU usage spikes. Tried installing the old drivers on the CD since I never had any problems with them, and same thing.. uninstalled them and suddenly no more problems. So now I'm back on the newest drivers, maybe once every 5 minutes my CPU usage will spike up really quick due to DPC and go back down. I have no idea what to try next.. if anyone else notices these issues with Creative cards or has a fix please post it.

Thanks

Repoman
12-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I've got everything non-essential disabled and am (was) running in the last PCI slot.

BUT, strangely enough it seems that the opposite of what you said fixed it.. I switched it to the first PCI slot and so far no problem, crossing my fingers though. Only problem is it slightly blocks the GPU fan, but temps seem to be the same.

Also my wireless PCI card performance seems to have gone up (3 or 4/5 bars in windows rather than 2/5). Wonder why this happens?

mdzcpa
12-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you had some serious PCI bus congestion.

Repoman
12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow, PCI busses must be really slow..

Oh well, it's fine now for sure :) Thanks!

ScottFern
12-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Whats the best Ultra-D bios for X-Fi and dual core ??