PDA

View Full Version : Its stable but it isn't, driving me crazy.

madpete
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Ok guys, I'm looking for some help / ideas.

My system is listed in my sig, I've had the CPU, PSU, drives and cooling for a while now but M/B, RAM, GFX and Sound are new (2 weeks).

Configuration is as follows:

CPU = 11x273mhz 1.56v (1.375v x 114%) - On water
Memory = 3-3-3-8 (1:1) 2.79v (tried more volts upto 2.87v but it didn't help - I have a fan blowing over the dimms).
GFX card = Stock 580mhz / 1.73ghz - On water
CPU temp idle 29degrees load 37 degrees
GFX temp idle 35 degrees

The problem I'm having is that the system is hard locking when playing games, esp Doom3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted demo....this happens at random ranging from a few mins into the game, to the most being about 25mins.

The system is overclocked but it passes Prime (12hrs blend test / small fft's), OCCT, SuperPi with no issues.

I thought it may have been the X-FI causing probs (going on past experience of creative) but I uninstalled it and the problem still occured. I tried the same components in the Asus AN832-SLI and had the same results so its not the mobo.

I know the CPU is good for over 3ghz, so don't think its that esp as it passes prime95 and OCCT.

The Ballistix is new to me, so I guess it could be a memory setting but it passes memtest no errors, and also surely 12hrs of prime95 blend test would have shown something up? Does anyone have any recommendations for the 2GB ballistix?

I'm really confused as to what it could be, why would the system pass hours and hours of prime95 but crash after only minutes of game play?

Oh and one other thing, if I set everything back to stock, the problem seems to go away....thing is I didn't but all this gear to run at stock :(

Any ideas or help welcomed.

Cheers guys. :toast:

Eversor
12-12-2005, 12:38 PM
mine did the exact same thing past 2.8GHz.
And also when i used 2 pairs of 512MB of bh5, tough memtest was fine, and prime didn't complain, it would crash within minutes in quake4/ut2k4

As for the first case 2.85ghz crashed in 3d, 2.8ghz fixed it, no matter how many volts, or memory configuration.

Repoman
12-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I had the same problem for a while, mainly in CS:S.. lots of windows reinstalls and setting drive/data strength to auto instead of 6/3 and a TREF of 3684 (or something) seems to have fixed it. It passed prime and memtest forever on unstable settings but not games

phadeout
12-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Try "not" running 1:1 on the Ram, and see if that brings you stability. Run a divider and see what happens, don't change anything else.

madpete
12-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys, I will test and see.

I just tried swapping out the 512GTX for a ATI X300SE I had spare and playing Doom3 again, played for an hour with no crashes and no problems at all.

This makes me think its either Nvidia's drivers or the vid card??? But then why would returning the system to stock help, barring in mind that the vid card is already stock.

I'm new to Geforce and its drivers having been an ATI man for years, is there anything I should know that might be causing this? Please don't tell me my new GTX is faulty :(

Daved+
12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Prime large FFT for 24hrs. If it passes, it's something related to the VGA.