PDA

View Full Version : Asus A7N8X mod

PMM
01-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Well since uber bios did now't.....................................

I'm struggling :( not got suitable tools micro grabbers are too big
been trying for past couple of days to get a good mount point/correct mount point.

but for those intrested plug in CM3708 into google or whatever
download the data sheet then see if you can get it modded ;)

Look near your AGP slot for a 16 pin IC small un if you measure
the voltages you will see 1.6v +- a bit uneffected by AGP bios
voltage changes.

Not sure if I am modding the correct pin I'm using a cap I think
links to pin 11(VFB) but I am either shorting or linking to wrong
part, voltages jump to 2.2 -- 2.3v PC Boots but locks at bios did
manage 1.9xx Volts runs for 10-20 sec then locks.

MOD IT AT YOUR OWN RISK BUT I AM SURE ITS THE CHIPSETS VDD

HMB
01-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Sounds interesting, i think i will buy some pomona grabbers/pot and a multimeter as soon as possible. Oh, lets not forget the solderiron :)

PMM
01-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D :banana:

First off I think I have either a Com port issue or modem Issue
at high speed as previous uses of I.E. on line the system crashed
before this mod and seem still to do it but as long as I don't
go on-line I seem stable @225 got a boot at 230 but it did crash.

** Hexus_Pifast gave me errors at 220 something but has not
this time even on aggressive CPU decode done a simple Sandra
memory burn in for 10 cycles and past :)

_______All you need to know here___________
Ok I was going for the non soldering option but what the
heck soldered a small wire onto the SMD resistor nearest
pin 11.

Resistance needed seems funny!! but if you use a 2MegaOhm
resistor to ground it will result in the voltage jumping to
1.745Volts (in my case.. will differ. slightly depending on
resistor tollerances)

[edit] **opps sorry I put 1meg above was men't to say 2megohm

beatnic
01-17-2003, 02:34 PM
have you got pictures?

nikhsub1
01-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Yes please tell us where to MEASURE the VDD and then which pin for the mod!!!! This is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PMM
01-17-2003, 03:27 PM
I will do my best to explain in a paint special no camera at mo
give us a bit and I will post later.

Please note the IC is small my micro grabbers were to big its
a small IC as such you need to either solder to a minature
SMD resistor or be bery skilled.

Managed with some 3+volts to the ram to get into windows
at 230fsb managed a Hoda shot and sandra ram shot however
it did reboot after a while I think this is heat related issue if I give
computer a while to cool it goes in for a while but after a bit
reboots....But has yet to trash harddrive :) which it did before
at 215 onwards.

pics ....>
http://brittech.co.uk/230fsb.gif
http://brittech.co.uk/230san.gif

Jeff
01-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Way to go Paul!!! :toast:

PMM
01-17-2003, 03:30 PM
thanks Jeff :)

Jeff
01-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Does this mean you are going to go sub2??? :D I'm working on a sub 1.9 atm. As long as she doesn't crash at the 3/4 mark... I should have it.

/Jeff forgets where he is sometimes :am:

PMM
01-17-2003, 03:36 PM
you mean sub 1.9 allready did the 2 remember ;)

PMM
01-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Jeff

/Jeff forgets where he is sometimes :am: [/B]

LOL too right and thats where ya staying :stick:

Jeff
01-17-2003, 03:47 PM
:doh: I forgot that was you. :eek:

So what are you shooting for? 1.85ish? I'm just hoping for 1.899. :D

PMM
01-17-2003, 04:14 PM
And for those who need a diagram again sorry no camera
at present a photoshop special hopefully it gets the message
accross of where all is located. The chip I have highlighted red
is the chip in question and it will say on it [ </>CM3708I ]

http://brittech.co.uk/circuit.gif

Quest For Speed
01-17-2003, 08:09 PM
This is great news. Thanx PMM for the great work finding this.

impulse
01-17-2003, 09:39 PM
oh i cant wait to try this. Great job PMM. Ill post back tommorow after school how it goes for me.

sysfailur
01-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Wonderful! I will do this mod and of course take pics! :)

sysfailur
01-18-2003, 12:11 AM
What kind of 1MOhm VR would you recommend. I only found one 1MOhm VR and it is an audio-taper, which means it's very sensitive... can you link to a better one?

or is a sensitive one good? @ 2MOhm, when you change the resistance do you change it alot to get a higher voltage? Like to 1.2MOhm or are you just turning it to like 1.950MOhm?

When you hit 230mhz btw what was your chipset voltage? 1.745? Stock is 1.6 right? What would you guys recommend as the max? My chipset is pelt-cooled.... so It should be able to handle quite a bit o' voltage.

THANKS!

PMM
01-18-2003, 06:09 AM
If you use 2MegOhm you should get 1.745v

I thought to be safe If a fixed 1MOhm + Varible 1MOhm
were used together there should be no going OTT.

As for the type of varible resistor take your pic I'm only
using a cheap small one so accracy not that important

Not sure what resistance its at now but I have the resistor
at half way so its 1.5mohms in theory giving me 1.8v

**My previous plays were a few days ago when I could not
get proper connection resulted in voltages @ 1.925+ volts
but caused lockups -- but I can't say for sure that could be
overvolt protection if any causing it.

I think I am ram related now it needs 3+ volts to hit 230fsb but
after sometime computer reboots I had this before this mod
when I ram the ram at 3+volts but at 211fsb and had sim result
so took mem vmod off that was while ago so mem must be
getting to warm.

This mod is certainly working as 230fsb has been impossible for
me 211+ has caused reboots and 215+ has trashed my HD
everytime.

[/edit] 1.745 got me in at 230 with ram at 3.1+v long enough for
hoda shot & sandra Ram benchmark before something warmed
up and caused crash.

My DMM at stock measures 1.597 so yes 1.6v stock default.

sysfailur
01-18-2003, 10:17 AM
*hugs PMM*

Thank you! That's what I needed to know. Gotta go make an order @ allelectronics.com ;)

This is very very good hehe. Finally be able to run some sick speeds ;)

HMB
01-18-2003, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah baby, hmm what to do now, wait for asus to release the option in bios or solder myself... hmm, it would be nice to have 3 voltmods on a motherboard :D

impulse
01-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Hey all, just finished the mod, check it out and tell me if it looks right... I wired a 1M ohm resister inline with a 1Mohm potentiometer. Is that correct? Any idea of what types of voltages i might be able to adjust to? I have a multimeter ready to test but im just curious. :) Sorry if the pictures to big

http://home.attbi.com/~p.leli/mod2.jpg

impulse
01-18-2003, 01:16 PM
I tried to get a better picture of the resister soldered onto the smt resistor. Hope this helps a little for those attempting it. It was fairly simple if you are handy with a iron. GL I cant wait to try it out!
http://home.attbi.com/~p.leli/mod3.jpg

Jeff
01-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by sysfailur
*hugs PMM*

Better watch out sys... we have someone over at TPR that might just get a little jealous at this. :D

impulse
01-18-2003, 02:46 PM
OMG! thank you (x1000) Dude it works great!!! I am completely stable at 211 now, whereas before I couldnt get past 188! ill post some benchs in a few mins. I have to reflash my bios to the new one that allows higher fsb. I am soo happy with this board now. A7N8X is by far the best board now! Heres my sandra at 211
http://home.attbi.com/~p.leli/sandra.jpg

impulse
01-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Just a little info for ya. Just finished measuring volts. With the way i have it set up now, If I turn the pot all the way down I get 1.75 volts exactly. If i crank it all the way i get 1.91 exactly. Just a little info for ya's

nikhsub1
01-18-2003, 04:11 PM
I attempted to solder, man is that small. I quit before i ruined my board... Will try later.

Pjotr
01-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by PMM
I will do my best to explain in a paint special no camera at mo
give us a bit and I will post later.

Please note the IC is small my micro grabbers were to big its
a small IC as such you need to either solder to a minature
SMD resistor or be bery skilled.

Managed with some 3+volts to the ram to get into windows
at 230fsb managed a Hoda shot and sandra ram shot however
it did reboot after a while I think this is heat related issue if I give
computer a while to cool it goes in for a while but after a bit
reboots....But has yet to trash harddrive :) which it did before
at 215 onwards.

pics ....>

Can I ask a favour from anyone with a FSB >> 200 MHz and a good overclock on AXP, say 2.2 GHz+, to make a SETI@Home benchmark run, please? SETI will end in a few months and there are updates being done to the benchmarking pages at team TLC. The benchmark run should take approx 2 hours, I'd like to see some AXP systems as no 1. :-)

Client here:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/setiathome/setiathome-3.03.i386-winnt-cmdline.exe

All info here:

http://www.teamlambchop.com/bench/benchfile.htm

Jeff
01-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Here is our team's benchmark page. Currently, there are a couple nForce2 boards at the top. :D

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mulda/phoenix/benchmark.htm

Pjotr
01-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Jeff
Here is our team's benchmark page. Currently, there are a couple nForce2 boards at the top. :D

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mulda/phoenix/benchmark.htm

Are those done using the TLC benchmarking WU?

Jeff
01-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Don't believe it's that exact work unit. This one is also a .417 angle unit so it should be ok to compare the two charts.

sysfailur
01-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by impulse
Just a little info for ya. Just finished measuring volts. With the way i have it set up now, If I turn the pot all the way down I get 1.75 volts exactly. If i crank it all the way i get 1.91 exactly. Just a little info for ya's

Absolutely wonderful. That's what I wanted to know :)

Great job! I can't wait! My stuff should be coming in the mail on Wednesday ;)

PMM
01-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Pjotr
Are those done using the TLC benchmarking WU?

Its our own work unit 0.417ar and is comparable to TLC's
now't in it time wise.

Don't think TLC will be updating there benchies anytime soon
April2002 was last update and it was 6 to 8 months the one
before that.

Pjotr
01-19-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by PMM
Its our own work unit 0.417ar and is comparable to TLC's
now't in it time wise.

Don't think TLC will be updating there benchies anytime soon
April2002 was last update and it was 6 to 8 months the one
before that.

Read the benchmark news, there will be an update shortly.

impulse
01-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Just curious, anyone else try this out yet?

NUNEZ1980
01-21-2003, 10:24 AM
hell yeah, I can't wait to try it, but since I don't have any soldiring skills, I just my used hot glue with a gun and glue it while making the contact,

guys do you know how can I tell how, if the glue is nonconductive?, on the multi, the arrow and the / is for that? thx

EnormuS
01-22-2003, 12:49 PM
@Impulse or PMM

I am looking to buy the resistors needed for the VDD mod you found. The question is I can purchase either 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt resistors. Which one do you recommend / use?

Thanks,
-E

Onis
01-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Aah, it seems I messed up the mod. The solder pad of the SMD resistor went off... "!¤#""# If any of you helpful guys could look the value of the resistor (R631) I would be most grateful!

Be careful when soldering to SMD resistors, I think it's better to try solder thin wire to IC directly and from there to pot + extra res.

PMM
01-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I'm using 1/4 watt but it does not matter since you are only
earthing the remaining voltage after the SMD resistors.

**On that topic I am not sure what values are there to small
to read but from the datasheet I was using and initial values I was getting I'm sure its 200KOhms need someone with good
eyes and a magnifying glass.

If your solding onto the SMD I suggest soldering the wire first
to get a blob of solder on there then when your ready apply
soldering iron in way that heats the wire mainly to make solder melt and bond to smd - try to get a brand of low temp solder
if doing Vmods makes things a little easier.

Use the finest soldering tip you can find and if you can....
invest in a Gas Soldering Iron trust me makes live a lot easier;)

Onis
01-23-2003, 05:17 PM
PMM: Thank you a million !!!! I'll buy you a beer if you are nearby Finland ;) It is working again. I replaced SMD it with a 150k.

But I checked the application datasheet and I think better way is to modify VREF voltage (pin 7). VREF is dropped from 3.3 V with resistors R628 and R630 (probably 124ohm and 150ohm, EIA-96 markings 10A and 18A). Variable resistor parallel with R628 should raise the voltage.

I'll do some testing now and report here.

EDIT: no success yet... (VREF mod) first it looked good, voltage raised, but then it dropped to 1,5v. Still investigating :D

veeman
01-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Could you tell me exactly where you soldered the 1mohm resistor to? it's hard to tell in the picyou posted i just wanna make sure i know before i try this i can't go any higher than 180fsb right now and would love to go higher.And where did you put the ground as well ?

impulse
01-24-2003, 06:42 AM
I agree veeman, it is very hard to see. There is a tiny smt resistor near the southbridge between the agp and first pci slot. I soldered the resistor to the top left contact of the smt. Look at PMMs sketch for a better understanding of what exact smt resistor to solder. You need to solder onto the contact that is facing the pci slot. I grounded mine on a motherboard screw hole. You can ground it to the ground on a fan header.
Sys have you done the mod yet?

gimmpy
01-24-2003, 07:04 AM
i tried this mod with great success. i does work. my max 3dmarkfsb went from 211 to 222. here is my 3d mark http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5717796
if there is anyone with a high fsb, over 211, and does 3d mark i would be interested in discussing the differences in scoring at high fsb. thanks:toast:

sysfailur
01-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Sorry guys I've been unable to do this mod yet. I am finally getting to it (hopefully) tonight. I've had too many things to do.

sysfailur
01-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Sorry guys I've been unable to do this mod yet. I am finally getting to it (hopefully) tonight. I've had too many things to do.

Well I've done it. And it works perfect. I'm @ 1.9v for now, as I'm working on trouble shooting the board itself.... I'm not really sure what's the problem but I am having problems.

I figured out how to fix it if your bios says your memory is @ 50mhz though. You boot up once you get the prob, you hit the power switch on the psu really fast back and forth and when it boots up the next time you're A-OK. ;)

I may just end up buying another one of these boards for troubleshooting (and to build another rig).

Now here's a question... for let's say 220mhz fsb, what kinda voltage will I need on the chipset? I've got 3.15V on the ram to be safe. @ 1.80v I think I was at 220mhz fsb didn't work.. corrupted windows. So would 1.9v do it? I will crank it up to the max if need be... what are you guys using?

gimmpy
01-24-2003, 09:32 PM
sys i run at 220-222 at 1.85 on the chipset and that is in dual mode ram is at 3.1 xms3500 cpu at 1.95. everything works good at this speed onboard audio and lan.:toast:

sysfailur
01-24-2003, 11:00 PM
I do believe my board is borked then. My audio is screwed up even @ normal speeds, I can't boot into windows @ 200mhz+.

I've been playing with it for a while now, and @ stock, sound is totally messed up... all garbled. So I disabled that, but then I can't get into windows at good speeds. I've tried every voltage combination you can think of. I've also tried now 3 bios's.

Oh well, I geuss this means time to RMA it :P Thankfully I have my volt mods all prepped so I can just solder em on quickly on the next board! :) While I'm waiting for that I'll work on modding my 4600 and I'll test it on my KD7. Mmmm sounds like fun.

gimmpy
01-25-2003, 07:55 PM
sys, some guys over at the nforce forum said that by replacing the cmos battery all the instabilities and problems went away! possibly a bad batch of batteries? give it a try and let me know:)

HMB
01-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Can u solder on the resistor(s) or use pomona grabbers on the IC controlling VDD? If u could, what leg and which IC? :)

luihed
01-29-2003, 11:03 PM
I have a crystal orb on my NB and would like to know if this is enough cooling to vdd mod my chipset to 1.85v. Also whats a good way of monitoring the temp of my NB using a hardcano temp guage? Thinking of taking off a lil of that black stuff aroung the chip and then putting a probe there, is this a good idea? Lastly, whats a reasonable temp for my NB and what threshold should I be aware of? thanks dudes......

sysfailur
01-30-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by gimmpy
sys, some guys over at the nforce forum said that by replacing the cmos battery all the instabilities and problems went away! possibly a bad batch of batteries? give it a try and let me know:)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=99181#post99181

:)

sysfailur
01-30-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by HMB
Can u solder on the resistor(s) or use pomona grabbers on the IC controlling VDD? If u could, what leg and which IC? :)

It's not a chip w/ pins... it's a little "black thingy". And I doubt you could use a grabber. You need to solder.

PMM
01-30-2003, 01:33 PM
I attempted using micro grabbers on the pins but the
spacing is so small the grabber once grasping the pin
were shorting on the pins either side :(

nikhsub1
01-30-2003, 06:21 PM
I borked a board trying this mod! The resistor is just too damn small... Anyone with some skillz want to do it for me?:(

Quest For Speed
01-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by PMM
I attempted using micro grabbers on the pins but the
spacing is so small the grabber once grasping the pin
were shorting on the pins either side :(

You can try to coat the backside of the grabbers with a non-conductive coating like liquid tape. That way it will not short out.

sysfailur
01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by nikhsub1
I borked a board trying this mod! The resistor is just too damn small... Anyone with some skillz want to do it for me?:(

I had to recheck the diagram like 8 times while doing this mod cus I was like, "I'm supposed to solder it WHERE?!" hehe

NUNEZ1980
01-31-2003, 12:30 AM
hi there,

for those that don't have soldering skillz like me :(, I think the best way is just get a resistor and use one end to connect to the point on the mobo and use hot glue to hold it in place nice and easy:toast:

veeman
01-31-2003, 08:47 AM
ok thanks for your help i will try this and see if it works.

nikhsub1
01-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Hmm, I'll try the glue. I have some 1Mohm and 1.5Mohm resistors, If I just use the 1.5Mohm resistor, what voltage should that give me? I was thinking like 1.8V?

NUNEZ1980
01-31-2003, 01:45 PM
HI THERE,

I use two 1meg rv, and it gave me 1.7 at high, when I lower one to half its now 1.85v, so use two meg and I guarranteed you will be fine, from there you lower to your taste,

and please use two 1Mohm or a 2 Mohm to be safe!

so, first I did the one on post 13, but it only let me get to 210, and when I measure the point it was high and then when I test again it was stock,

so what I did was to connect to the point on the bottom, now I can run over 230 and the new battery help too:banana:

and keep us informed:toast:

Quest For Speed
01-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by NUNEZ1980
hi there,

for those that don't have soldering skillz like me :(, I think the best way is just get a resistor and use one end to connect to the point on the mobo and use hot glue to hold it in place nice and easy:toast:

Hot glue gun? Great Idea. My soldering skills have much to be desired so I'll give this a try

veeman
01-31-2003, 11:44 PM
I could not get a 1mohm potentiometer so i got two that are 500k each. The potentiometer has three prongs coming out of it. i soldered a 1mohm resistor to the little pin and it goes to the first prong,i then soldered a wire coming from the second prong going to the first first prong of the second potentiometer then i soldered a wire coming from the second prong of the second potentiometer going to a ground (one of the screws that hold the mobo) .When i check the voltage all i get is 1.53 all the way up ,and all the way down. did i not link the two potentiometers together correctly? please help i want this mod to work.

NUNEZ1980
02-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by veeman
I could not get a 1mohm potentiometer so i got two that are 500k each. The potentiometer has three prongs coming out of it. i soldered a 1mohm resistor to the little pin and it goes to the first prong,i then soldered a wire coming from the second prong going to the first first prong of the second potentiometer then i soldered a wire coming from the second prong of the second potentiometer going to a ground (one of the screws that hold the mobo) .When i check the voltage all i get is 1.53 all the way up ,and all the way down. did i not link the two potentiometers together correctly? please help i want this mod to work.

ok, that sounds like is not making contac on the board, and to know if you link them correctly measure them before putting them on, also make sure put connect to the lower tip not the higher as illustrated on post 13 and try again and never lower all resistance;)

NUNEZ1980
02-01-2003, 09:00 AM
guys please don't forget to check your psu, if is not strong enough it will limited your overclock:eek:

veeman
02-01-2003, 09:34 AM
How do i check with my multimeter to see if they are inline ? do i check with volts? i only use the voltage setting i have never used any other setting. But i resoldered the resistor to the lower tip (i had it in the middle before) and before i turn it on i checked with my meter at all solder points and it said 0.01 v is this correct?

veeman
02-01-2003, 10:16 AM
i booted everything up and it says 2.1v on my meter but now it won't even post!!!!please don't tell me i fried my board!! i took the ground off and it still won't post i even cleared the cmos but nothing!!

NUNEZ1980
02-01-2003, 10:24 AM
i booted everything up and it says 2.1v on my meter but now it won't even post!!!!please don't tell me i fried my board!! i took the ground off and it still won't post i even cleared the cmos but nothing!!

oh boy, 2.1v is real high, RMA anyone, its possible, I think anything over 1.85 is asking for it and I keep it below zero, but just give it a break and try later, you might get lucky :(

veeman
02-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Ya i still can't get it to post one time it's 2.1 another time it's 1.9 i took everything off and checked my voltage and it says 1.8! but with everything off it still won't post i need someone to explain in detail how to hook up two 500k potentiometers for me to see if i got them hooked up right and how do i check with my meter to see if it is hooked up right ,thanks for your help by the way:]

veeman
02-01-2003, 11:22 AM
i tried to reconnect everything and resoldered my resistor everything looks good but it won't post no matter what i do! when i check the voltage it now says i got 2.41!!!!!! what the hell is going on here??? it has to be these poteniometers i don't think they are hooked up right i need someone to explain how to hook two inline together please please please i don't want this board to be fried i just got it a month ago!!!!!

veeman
02-01-2003, 11:51 AM
What i am wondering is how can i get 2.4v when i am using a 1mohm and two 500k ohm resistors and potentiometer!!!??????

PMM
02-01-2003, 04:10 PM
you got a short somewhere you have somehow grounded
100%.

When I started I could not get a proper contact with the micro-
grabbers and a short would give me 2.2v+ and no boot my main
reason for soldering to the top of the SMD resistor zero resistance
would give silly voltage as you seeing.

/edit

Sometimes the bios can lock even with cmos reset - Pull plug
on PSU - Flip out batt. put Jumper on Drain leave 10mins

While above is happening take the chance and time to make
sure you have disconnected the mod however you have done
it / if soldered make sure you have not shorted two pins
together or whatever.

Then replace batt / switch jumper back / plug PC in.

PMM
02-01-2003, 04:27 PM

so what I did was to connect to the point on the bottom, now I can run over 230 and the new battery help too:banana:

What do you mean by point on bottom :confused:

veeman
02-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Ok i will try that thanks ,but i still need someone to explain how to kook up the tw potentiometers inline with each other .

veeman
02-01-2003, 06:35 PM
ok i did what u said to try and it didn't work,And when i put the plug back in turned on the switch and pushed power...nothing! it won't even make a noise?,Man this thing is ticking me off?!!!!

veeman
02-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Ok i played around with it a bit more and got it to turn on again but still it won't post i think this board has had it ,is there any other way i can check to see if the board is fried????

sysfailur
02-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Ok i will try that thanks ,but i still need someone to explain how to kook up the tw potentiometers inline with each other .

That's easy...

let's say you have a 3 pin pot which you should. You have 2 pots...

Each pot has 3 pins in this depiction. You have wire (pictured as "|" or "_"). You connect the wire to the pins (pictured as "X"). The "<" or ">" or "V" shows the path of the connection. So if you follow it, it should make sense. I have a picture of this I believe, just need to find it.

PIN ON CHIP OR WHATEVER
|
V
pot |
|
1 X <<< X X
|_>>>__
|
2 X <<< X X
|
V
|
GROUND

sysfailur
02-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Here's a pic of what I just explained, and also I have a 3 VR setup.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/mem_vmod_completed.jpg

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_nforce2/cpu_vmod_triple.jpg

veeman
02-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Man i wish i had known this before i had these hooked up totaly wrong! But my board no matter what i do will not post or boot is it too late? Itried everything but nothing works. Do you have any ideas? And thanks alot for your help.

veeman
02-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Sorry man i totally cannot see what is going on in those pics too dark .

Mugen1516
02-02-2003, 04:48 PM
PMM,
Can you post a step by step how-to kind of thing and a picture of the completed mod with details of which pins and which chips. Also, maybe a list of parts. I would really like to try this. Will the Ponoma SMD Grabbers work? Thanks

EnormuS
02-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Well, I tried the mod with a 2Mohm resistor. I checked the soldering job over very well, everything looked fine, but when I powered up, I measure the infamous 2.4v reading off the voltage test point. I hope the NB is not toast. I removed the mod to get back to a stock board, but when I powered on again, the measurment was STILL 2.4v, without the mod. So now I have two questions:

1. Could I have burned out the SMD resistor that I was soldering to by too much heat? (The impedence measured about 200Kohm on the SMD)

2. Could someone please give me a voltage reading from the side of the SMD resistor that is supposed to have the resistor soldered on? I checked the other side of the resistor (The side closest to the south bridge) and it measured 2.4v, but the other side (the side the 2Mohm resistor should be soldered to) and I am getting 0 volts. Looks like NO current is getting through the resistor, but I don't know what voltage should be appearing on the other side.

Thanks for any help.

veeman
02-02-2003, 08:40 PM
i also was getting 2.4 volts and i smoked the board.

QuadDamage
02-03-2003, 04:24 AM
well, i read every post here and your other thread and i almost sure you destroyed your board, veeman. i think it's time for you to pack it up and RMA it asap. make sure to leave no evidence of your v-mod experiments.

damn, my 2nd board does only 188fsb-190fsb max in 3d, no matter what. i know i need VDD mod, but after reading this, i think there's something wrong. i mean 2.4v with 2kOhm pot? can someone clarify this, cos i think i'm missing something here...

EnormuS
02-03-2003, 05:32 AM
i also was getting 2.4 volts and i smoked the board.

Yeah, I am thinking that is what I did as well. Confusing, though. I can't see anything wrong with my work, but 2.4v is now the permenant voltage with AND without the mod in place.

I had no variable resistors in the mix either. I was using a straight 2Mohm resistor, nothing fancy. I just don't understand how voltage can not return to normal with the mod removed. The good thing is there is no evidense of the mod because I didn't use hot glue. I guess RMA won't be a problem.

impulse
02-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Quad just to clarify, use a 1 Mega Ohm resister in series with a 1 mega Ohm pot. Ive done this mod on two seperate a7n8x and both gave me the exact same readout of 1.91 volts max, with pot cranked.

QuadDamage
02-03-2003, 09:39 PM
thank you for quick response, Impulse:)

could you please supply some pic, or something. i understand 99% of this, but i just wanna make sure. i bought prometeia and few other things, if i fry this mobo, i'll be out of the game for weeks;(, i'm totally broke and i need to beat my amd/ti4600 competitor;)

QuadDamage
02-03-2003, 09:48 PM
can you put your pics back, Impulse? damn, my mobo gives up at 188fsb, just like yours before. i can get it to work at 195fsb, but screen flashes, then turns black and reboots when trying to run 3d. damn, if you don't get the pics up i'll mod it anyway:D

EnormuS
02-04-2003, 06:45 AM
Be careful, Quad. Like I said, I don't know how it happened, but you can kill your board in 2 secs (literally) of soldering to that resistor. Once a mistake is made, it is irreversable.

Have a back-up motherboard ready, should you have to RMA yours.

nikhsub1
02-04-2003, 08:36 AM
hi there,

Nunez - did you go all out with the glue or did you just use a little? Am I correct that you glued the 1Mohm fixed resistor to the point on the mobo? I will try this with my 1Mohm variable today I hope! Please confirm!

impulse
02-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Ya sorry §§§§, let me find them. I needed to clear some space on my lame attbi ftp account. If i cant find em I'll snap some new ones.

QuadDamage
02-04-2003, 08:16 PM
yes please:) i know where to solder those pots to but i wanna see your arrangement. i was about to do that few hours ago , but i had only fixed resister which i don't like. I did vcore and vmem.

what's your max v-core guys with 25k pot? 2.17v? so far doing 2.65-2.7ghz with no so great AUIGB 42 2400+ at 2.08-2.11v.

thanks for your help.

NUNEZ1980
02-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Nunez - did you go all out with the glue or did you just use a little? Am I correct that you glued the 1Mohm fixed resistor to the point on the mobo? I will try this with my 1Mohm variable today I hope! Please confirm!

hi there, just enough to hold the pin in place, the glue won't harm the board and will pull off with enough pressesure, so use as much as possible to secure, while making it look nice without too much:D

NUNEZ1980
02-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by QuadDamage
well, i read every post here and your other thread and i almost sure you destroyed your board, veeman. i think it's time for you to pack it up and RMA it asap. make sure to leave no evidence of your v-mod experiments.

damn, my 2nd board does only 188fsb-190fsb max in 3d, no matter what. i know i need VDD mod, but after reading this, i think there's something wrong. i mean 2.4v with 2kOhm pot? can someone clarify this, cos i think i'm missing something here...

well, something to note is that just because the pot says 2k doen't meant it is, I have tested some 2k and the resistance is many times lower:eek:

impulse
02-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Sorry for not getting to this faster quad. Long day. They should be back up for ya, if you need a dif angle i can try. LMK

QuadDamage
02-04-2003, 11:48 PM
alright, sir:) i'll wait. i have one question though. there's one small v-controller next to that small VDD resister, i think it looks like v-mem controller. could someone check whether it's VDD controller? it would be much easier to solder to one of those pins than to friggin small arsed resister.

edit : ok, got'em:) thanks, clear enough

nikhsub1
02-05-2003, 02:30 PM
OK, I tried the glue method, and it worked but now it is not! After I did it, i tested with the voltmeter and bam, 1.8V and I was happy! So I put the computer in it's spot, hooked her up and booted at 210 x 11 to test. 1 minute later and freeze... Went to check the voltage again and 1.58V, so I guess the pin lost the connection:mad: The GOOD thing about the glue method is that if you mess up, the glue will come right off, it's not easy to take it off but it is not hard either. I had to redo it several times cause I glued over the spot to check the connection!

nikhsub1
02-05-2003, 05:36 PM
UPDATE! I redid the connection with the glue... It is working! I have the VDD set to 1.8V on the nose! Taking it slow, currently running P95 at 210 dual sync and it is passing! Ill keep you updated!

NUNEZ1980
02-05-2003, 08:04 PM
great:banana:

QuadDamage
02-05-2003, 08:24 PM
i did the mod too. i used 2.MOhm pot (1.96MOhm actual) and it works. well, it worked. i cranked up the voltage upto 1.9V and now it doesn't boot at all. no sweat though since i think it's becaiuse of condensation around the socket. i took the cpu out of the socket waiting till it dries up.

thanks to everyone involved:)

impulse
02-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Hmm, I wouldnt sweat it. I have mine running at 1.91. 3dmark stable at 200, sandra stable at 225
keep us posted. quad do you have any special cooling on the NB? I cant remember

QuadDamage
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
i have some Zalman vga cooler glued to NB. well, it worked fine even on v-modded video boards just fine. I got heatsinks on MOSFETS and Southbridge, Prometeia for cpu. I used some thermal compound from RadioShack on pin holes since i found some water on the socket and cpu.

Quest For Speed
02-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by QuadDamage
i have some Zalman vga cooler glued to NB. well, it worked fine even on v-modded video boards just fine. I got heatsinks on MOSFETS and Southbridge, Prometeia for cpu. I used some thermal compound from RadioShack on pin holes since i found some water on the socket and cpu.

I sure hope You meant dielectric grease to fill the holes. Thermal compound is conductive.

nikhsub1
02-06-2003, 12:27 PM
This is MOST excellent! :banana: Thanks to all who have helped!!! This is FSB 221 Dual Sync with OCZ EL 3500 with 7-3-3-2 timings:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/221.gif

NUNEZ1980
02-06-2003, 01:27 PM
youre welcome, and may the force be with you:D

rsandru
02-06-2003, 03:00 PM
nikhsub1,

to bench with this FSB, do you run a memory vmod as well or is it stock ???

So what have we got ?? A few fried boards and a few successes... but is this mod working on both Deluxe AND non-Deluxe versions ???

From what I've seen in your signatures the non-Deluxe version is working...

:confused:

If it doesn't work with mine I'll. .... . :mad:

nikhsub1
02-06-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rsandru
nikhsub1,

to bench with this FSB, do you run a memory vmod as well or is it stock ???

So what have we got ?? A few fried boards and a few successes... but is this mod working on both Deluxe AND non-Deluxe versions ???

From what I've seen in your signatures the non-Deluxe version is working...

:confused:

If it doesn't work with mine I'll. .... . :mad:
I have all the volt mods:eek: VCORE, VDIMM and VDD. I run my mem at 3V and vcore right now at 2.05V - this CPU seems to like the voltage at 2525...

rsandru
02-06-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks a lot nikhsub1 !!

Do you think I'll have any issues doing the same with the deluxe version ???? :confused:

I've bought the VRs already :D

nikhsub1
02-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by rsandru
Thanks a lot nikhsub1 !!

Do you think I'll have any issues doing the same with the deluxe version ???? :confused:

I've bought the VRs already :D
The Vcore and Vdimm are simple, if you have SMD Grabbers... What I did was attatched the Grabbers to the appropriate pins (1 for vcore and 1 for vdimm) soldered to the VR of course, and used an old fan plug for the ground. So, all I do is clip on, and plug in! No soldering needed! The VDD is way trickier, I used glue and it took lots of attemps to get it right but if you mess up, the glue comes right off with no harm done! Here is a pic of my VCORE mod with the grabber and fan molex:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/vcoreclose.jpg

rsandru
02-06-2003, 04:27 PM
nikhsub1 you're the master ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pic, I've got a good one for all the mods now....

I think I'll solder the VRs with micro-dip switches on a generic PCB I've bought, so I have them all at the same place and will be able to switch on/off any of the Vmods ... just in case.

Hey, maybe there's a market for a preassembled kit like that ! :D

I'll keep you updated !!

QuadDamage
02-08-2003, 10:53 PM
well, this is what i did:

http://www.modders.net/uploads/QuadDamage/wholemobo2.jpg

Rick Flair
02-09-2003, 01:59 PM
I've now done the VVD mod on my a7n8x deluxe board using 2 1Mohm resistors in series and it worked great.

191 fsb was the most I could do before 100% stable in every thing with aggresive timings 4-2-2-2, now with the same memory timings I can do 200fsb no problem and up to 206fsb 100%stable in everything. Not as high as others but I'm completely happy. :D

Since the chip is 100% stable at 2.3Ghz (originally 2400+ 2Ghz) I run 11.5x200. :D

I would like to thank the people who figred out the various volt mods for this board and also say that I haven't had a mobo this good since my old Abit BH6.

RF

canyonarrow
02-09-2003, 02:14 PM
ok, I'm new to this idea of bumping up the nb voltage. I have the cooling I will need and everything, and I understand how you guys are doing it. Just a few Qs.........

ok, now, all I can find are 1 Mohm potentometers. Are 2 Mohms a lot better for this? Anyone know a place where I can get one?

Ok, now I'm referring to impulse's pics on page 1.

What type of wires are the black wires? Anything special?

so far here is what I think I'll be getting:

1 Mohm potentiometer ( this (will it work?) (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F003%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=271%2D211)

edit: quaddamage, WHAT THE HELL is that thing on your northbridge?
and a transister, not sure which one yet, but you guys can help me choose!!! I like radioshack, have one right down the street, so It'd be helpful If you could pick one for me.... transistors (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F005%5F004%5F000&Page=1)

and then those little black wires impulse has.......what are those?

Thanks a lot!!!

QuadDamage
02-09-2003, 10:09 PM
well, that's Zalman video cooler. does its job, i couldn't find anything better than that in my room while doin the mods. i replied to your PM and answered few of your Q's.

impulse
02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Wow quad, that things a beast. The southbridge does get extremely hot tho. I recommend some sort of active cooling. You also might want to tape those wires down so they dont snag on something and rip the connection off the motherboard. Canyonarrow(from the simpsons?) Heres what you can do at radioshack. Buy the 1 Mohm Pot, and also buy a 1 Moh RESISTOR(not transistor 2 dif things). Look at my picture and put the resister in series with the RIGHT pad of the POT(not where i have it pictured). This will give you a higher voltage when you turn the pot to the right. As for the wires, Honestly i dont know what they are from just some bulk black i had lying around. Its multi strand wire, not a thick copper one. Im sure its in the range of 18-24 gauge, pretty thin. You can pick some up at radio shack im sure.

canyonarrow
02-10-2003, 03:15 PM
^think the little black wire from a case fan would work? You know, the 2-pin plug in kind...........I have one I can take a wire off of. OK, thanks a lot. I'll get the 1 mohm pot soon, and a 1 mohm REsistor..............

and yes, it is from the simpsons...........all though my friend still argues he was saying "can ya narrow," I stick with canyonarrow........long story that involves vigilante 8 2 for N64 and a simpsons marathon...........

Staudie
02-12-2003, 06:29 AM
Couple of quick questions on this mod....

Ground... where is a good place? Is a fan header ok?

Is there a way to measure the volts within Windows?? I just want to monitor the volts.

Thanx,
Staudie

otoc
02-12-2003, 11:18 AM
PMM

Thanks guy. Running 2 sticks/dual of 512 xms 3500 with a 2700+. Had to sink the SB and go with active on the NB and do the cpu jumper for my 333fsb cpu for mem stability.

Opted for a 1M Ohm w/ 2 100k tied into a 1M Ohm var. Calibrated to 1.72 volts at the measuring point.

Now running 3DMark at 215fsb, air cooled with no other vmods to the board. Nice find and thanks for sharing.

BTW, the vagp can be read off of one of the leads to the mosfet by the agp slot. One output is the 3, one is 1.5-1.7 (depending on the bios setting, and the last is 0.

Found that the vdd can be read by the NB itself also and it ties into your read out point. This be real.

Had a bit of a scare with my 8X vid card shutting the monitor down when dialing up the voltage. Still working on that one, but the results are great if daring.

OndeOlav
02-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Ok, I'm ready to do the vmods (all of them) but I think I have a problem and I need somebody with an insight in electronics to answer me.

I've bought 20k, 50k 1M pots, and 5pcs 1M resistors. (bought from ELFA)

The problem is when i measure the res on a multimeter, I can't seem to get it right. I have to set the multi to the option named 2000K or it won't say anything at all.
When i measure the resistors (fixed) the display says 311. Shouldn't it be saying 1000? and the 1M pot displays 520something all cranked up. ??

I also measured my 50K and it said 43K, which is not far off, but anyway.. have I gotten §§§§ty resistors? or is it my el cheapo multimeters fault? I which somebody would either mail or PM me about this, cuz i'm ready to go..:confused:

OndeOlav
02-13-2003, 08:50 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :stick: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
LOL :D
I guess I should be holding my fingers there as well when I'm testing resistance :D

Problem solved! Never mind guys :p

Wish me luck. I'll post the results afterwards.

sysfailur
02-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Good luck man, I hope you get some good results!

OndeOlav
02-13-2003, 10:47 AM
K, I'm ready to go, made small piece of PCB with the resistors on, It looks damn nice ;) I'll post pictures in about an hour, then my girlfriends little sister comes down with a digicam (don't have one :P ) :stick:

Going to glue it there, hope it will work

OndeOlav
02-13-2003, 11:49 AM
Ok, here are some pictures b4 installing.

This is the mod on the highest setting:

OndeOlav
02-13-2003, 11:54 AM
And lowest..

OndeOlav
02-14-2003, 12:13 PM
..and all went to hell. I decided to solder, and i did it perfectly. I thought.. when i measured the voltage, it said 2,14, and still is. The board works tho, but no greater overclock, not by a single fsb, so I really don't think it did the trick.

To sum up, the only think i got out of this mod is a new problem. When I try to restart, the led on my monitor goes orange, and i have to shut down and power up, and it powers to AMD 1250mhz @ 100mhz fsb. Get into bios, my settings are there, just save and exit, and voila. Quite annoying. Anybody got a solution?

impulse
02-14-2003, 01:31 PM
my only suggestion is to turn the voltage down a tad. 2.14 is a .44 v increase. that may not seem like much but it is. Try going to 1.9 or even 1.8, your NB chip may be overheating quickly and flaking out thus negating any benefits of a volt mod. not sure if you posted before but what cooling do you ahve on your nb sb?

OndeOlav
02-14-2003, 02:12 PM
oh, my bad, I didn't make myself clear enough :stick:

The mod I did don't work, nomatter what resistance i set it to, or even remove the ground, the voltage stays the same. I'm sure I measure it the right place, and it says 2,14-2,25 dependant on its mood :D

anyway, the NB is not warm (well, it's warm, but not too warm) and my asus probe sais 21 degrees (C).

I think this is cuz i heated the chip itself so much when i soldered it, that it "slipped" a little, cuz now it's got a little tilt on the left side. Like a --> / <--- if u see what i mean. maybe 10-20 degree tilt or something. very wierd, but the wierdest think is that it still works, disregarding the boot trouble.
I run at 2600+ @ 3100+ atm, no prob.

reaaaaally wierd.

gonna buy me an epox 8rda, this board is toast :/

that is, if noone can tell me what has happened. ?

PMM
02-14-2003, 02:20 PM
The only thing I can think is if I am reading you correct that the
resistor you say is < / > is no longer making a link as such no
voltage is being feed back to the sense pin and as such the
IC has gone and maxed out as it see's 0 volts knows it should be
1.6v does not see it and compensates to its max hense 2.xx volts.

OndeOlav
02-14-2003, 02:54 PM
think ur right. anyway to fix this?

nikhsub1
02-14-2003, 03:51 PM
OndeOlav YOur board is borked! That happened to me too... that's why i used glue the second time. If you even touch that resistor with the iron, it's dust.

sysfailur
02-14-2003, 05:09 PM
You wanna hear something freaky about board frying? Well get this...

I was taking a memory reading, and when touching the ground w/ my multimeter pin I hit a jumper AND the ground, and there was a "POP!" below the 5th PCI slot, there was SMOKE and my screen went garbled.

But geuss what, I reset the CMOS and it worked!!! I will take a picture to show the damage. The 5th PCI may be broken, but like I really care :P

It was the craziest thing. So some advice, BE CAREFUL when you're poking around w/ a multimeter probe!!!!!!!!

nikhsub1
02-14-2003, 05:18 PM
You wanna hear something freaky about board frying? Well get this...

I was taking a memory reading, and when touching the ground w/ my multimeter pin I hit a jumper AND the ground, and there was a "POP!" below the 5th PCI slot, there was SMOKE and my screen went garbled.

But geuss what, I reset the CMOS and it worked!!! I will take a picture to show the damage. The 5th PCI may be broken, but like I really care :P

It was the craziest thing. So some advice, BE CAREFUL when you're poking around w/ a multimeter probe!!!!!!!!
Something like that happened to me a while back, I was searching for the VDD with the probe, and bang, the puter sputtered, shut off then restarted... all was ok though.

Mugen1516
02-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know if the mod is the same for the Non-Deluxe and the Deluxe version? I have the Non-Deluxe and I'm just wondering if it's still the same.

Major
02-15-2003, 02:41 PM
Finally 200+ !!!

Just got through with the VDD mod and works great now running at 200mhz DC Sync.

used 1.5 Meg and gave a VDD of 1.78v

Thanks guys for all the work !

PMM
02-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by OndeOlav
think ur right. anyway to fix this?

If you cannot re-align the resistor or if you have over
heated it that its fried i'd be inclined just to short it
completely then make a link off to ground not sure
how much current is on the other side of that resistor
so shunting a short to ground might have a knock on
effect else where not sure if there are other resistors
further down the chain.

The best option I can see is remove the resistor.....
I take we are talking about the one I said link to?
If so remove and see if you can solder a wire to each
point of the removed resistor then bridge each wire
with a 200Kohm resistor then link off the left side wire
to your 2Mohm or variable mod.

canyonarrow
02-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Is the base voltage of the NB 1.7v? So with a 1M pot and 1M resistor, will turning the pot all the way down give me just about stock voltage? I don't want to be stuck with a high voltage forever......gotta turn the fans down once and a while.

I just set up a new cooling system. current temps are: 19 mobo, 28 cpu (stock everything). The smartfan 2 on my heatsink is at 3300rpm, out of a possible 4800. I'm not done yet though, I still have a 120mm fan (115cfm) to put in the side when I get a chance. But its pretty loud.

One more thing: I have the vantec nexus fan controller. Its nice, but I wish I could turn the fans off (namely the tornado that I have as a front intake). Think I could take a little non-conductive paint and put it on the right part of the knob (pot), and it would cut off the voltage when I turn it to low, therefore turning off the fan? I might try it.

OndeOlav
02-16-2003, 12:21 PM
PMM, so what u're saying is to do this:

-----------------------1Mohm +1Mohm VR ------|(ground)
|
|
--200k-
| |
X X
(removed resistor)

Maybe I'll try this, cuz there is no need for the board in this state anyway ;) tell me if i'm right, and i'll get right to it.

PMM
02-16-2003, 01:14 PM
erm...... yep :)

1M + 1M to ground
|---\/\/\/-----0
|
|
|-\/\/\/\-|
| |
| |
[ ] [ ]

PMM

1M + 1M to ground
|---\/\/\/-----0
|
|
|-\/\/\/\-|
| |
| |
[ ] [ ]

PMM

1M + 1M to ground
|---\/\/\/-----0
|
|
|-\/\/\/\-|
| |
| |
[ ] [ ]

H¥percUbe
02-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi,
i'm new member and i don't understand very well how much mod are necessary on the board for great results, so can anyone reassume all mod in a unique post with a detailed list of material and a little description :p ?
i think it's helpful for all :=)
Thankz and complimentz for all the work!!

canyonarrow
02-17-2003, 04:18 PM
ok, I picked up the stuff I think I'll need. I got a crystal orb, and will put it on my nb soon. here is the stuff I got for the vmod:

1M0hm pot (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F003%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=271%2D211)

resistor (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F001%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=271%2D1356)

ground wire (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F001%5F021%5F003&product%5Fid=278%2D1219)

think this stuff should be good? Just want to check before I mess anything up.

nikhsub1
02-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by HÂ¥percUbe
Hi,
i'm new member and i don't understand very well how much mod are necessary on the board for great results, so can anyone reassume all mod in a unique post with a detailed list of material and a little description :p ?
i think it's helpful for all :=)
Thankz and complimentz for all the work!!
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167297

H¥percUbe
02-17-2003, 11:47 PM
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167297

Thank you very much :=))))
Can someone give me a link with specific trimmers for Vcore & Vdimm mod? (like this http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F003%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=271%2D211 )

Varsos
02-22-2003, 03:43 AM
Hi guys,
well this is the 2nd A7n8x/dl i'm having as i RMAed the 1st one cause i f...ed up with VDD.I took the board today and i started all over again and this time was a success!!!The problem is that with the 1st board and without the VDD mod i was 195 bus with no problems and i could boot to windows up to 211.I had measured the VDD 1.58v.
With the new board and without VDD mod i was stable at 183mhz and could boot to windows up to 188.I measured VDD 1.58v.Well i think this is very strange!!!
After doing VDD mod iam stable at 195 but at 200+ i have problems in 3dmark.VDD 1.74-1.85v.For cooling i have Titan cooper heatsink on NB and the board's heatsink on SB.
I think maybe i need to burn in the board for a few days but i would like to know if you have any suggestions for hitting200+.
THANKS.

MY SPECS:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04 (Bios 1002)
Athlon 2400+
Thermalright SLK800 with Artic Silver 3
80mm Delta 68.5CFM Fan with Thermaltake Fan Speed Controller
2 x 256MB Samsung CC4 PC3200
Chieftec Dragon DA-01W Full Tower with 5 Sunon 80mm (42CFM) Fans
Chieftec 420W PSU
Win XP Professional + SP1 + ASUS 1.16 Driver Pack

sysfailur
02-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Varsos, change your FSB jumper from 133/166 to 100. It's helped many!

utherwun
02-22-2003, 01:05 PM
i finally completed the vdd mod, having the voltage set at 1.801. i am able to run at 10.5x215, running seti fine, prime95 and pifast will not run but the fast pi is 44 sec.

my hard drive is actually fun as well as windows. i am running w2k pro with 2 wd se 80 g hdd. doing hd tach i get a max of 47k and min 188, with avg of 40k.

my system seems to be horribly less responsive than it used to be at 200 fsb, even at 205-206 it seems less responsive.

anyone know anything? :( :confused:

rsandru
02-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Utherwun, I think you have a severe stability problem due to either memory (speed, timings or simply not enough voltage) and/or chipset vdd mod itself (heve you properly measured the voltage ?? otherwise crank it up ! :D) Mine had similar behaviour when pushed too far and usually crashed the disk/OS pretty quickly. Try swapping memory modules as well.

FYI: I'm able to run the following (stable in 3DMark03) speeds with the VR turned to max (ie: 1MOhm + 0MOhm on VR):

215Mhz 7-3-3-2 (1xCMX256A-3200C2) in slots MM-o @ 3.1v Vddr(o is empty DIMM socket, leftmost is next to Northbridge)

218Mhz 7-3-3-2 (2xCMX256A-3500C2) in slots MM-o

220Mhz 6-3-3-2 (1xCMX256A-3200C2) in slot Mo-o

223Mhz 6-3-3-2 (1xCMX256A-3500C2) in slot Mo-o

Misc notes:
Tried with 512Mb - PC3500 stick and got no better than 215, two sticks is always more difficult to keep stable but still worth a try. Dual DDR means havoc on my board so, I've gone without....

FSB 233 is the maximum I can boot into windows with this setup.

Keep trying !!!! :p

utherwun
02-22-2003, 08:55 PM
the thing is, isnt doesnt crash windows. just seems horribly unresponsive.

i know i probably got my memory timings too tight @ 5-2-2-2. would loosing the timings cut drastically into the performance. right now i have about 3350 bandwidth in sandra and im happy with that, i love it actually, that is what ive been looking for. now my problem is keeping it stable.

my mem is at 2.8, core at 1.80, and agp at 1.6.

water cooling is my next option... i think.

any other information you would need for dianosis?? :stick:

H¥percUbe
02-23-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by utherwun
the thing is, isnt doesnt crash windows. just seems horribly unresponsive.

i know i probably got my memory timings too tight @ 5-2-2-2. would loosing the timings cut drastically into the performance. right now i have about 3350 bandwidth in sandra and im happy with that, i love it actually, that is what ive been looking for. now my problem is keeping it stable.

my mem is at 2.8, core at 1.80, and agp at 1.6.

water cooling is my next option... i think.

any other information you would need for dianosis?? :stick:

HI :)
the system is stable @215Mhz?
What do you intend with: "just seems horribly unresponsive"?

utherwun
02-23-2003, 11:13 AM
when i have multiple windows open and try to minize one or open up multiple windows at once, the system struggles to open them up and it can take 30 seconds or so. may seem a lil anal but it didnt do this before.

one thing i was thinking about, and someone tell me if this could be, but i put my pelt on the system with only three screws since one was stripped to see if it would work. well it was a far cry from working as it did a thermal shutdown at 90C!!!! could this have damaged the processor to make it run like this or would it be more of the overclock causing this. i looked at the processor and there is not visible damage to the outside but who knows about the inside....

rsandru
02-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Utherwun,
regarding your unresponsiveness issue, maybe you should try to lower your timings: start with 7-4-4-2 and go up while testing... you *will* loose some speed by doing this but not that much.

Try cranking up your chipset voltage to see if it helps. If you don't have the DDR vmod: do it ! :D This might also help.

Now regarding your pelt issue: you really should tighten your cooling system properly, otherwise it's not going to make contact (I'm of course assuming thermal interface is properly applier using a good compound)

Also, I assume your TEC is powerful enough for the CPU... ;)

utherwun
02-23-2003, 12:07 PM
hot gluing the the resistor to the mobo doesnt hold for sh*t. im going to have to solder it to the smd(i assum that is what it is). i was planning on doing the ddr mod tuesday as well as the correct vdd mod.

and trust me, i tried tightening it properly, thats how i already stripped one mounting screw, therefore only leaving me with three mounting holes. that in turn is what is causing the no contact. i used plenty of as3 and when i removed the pelt it looked like it barely made contact, not the usual imprint of the core in the as3. i need another freakin screw... o well, i put my hhc001 back on and it runs fine right now at 11x200.

once i get the mods done and possible the slk900u i may start cranking it up again.

rsandru
02-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by utherwun
hot gluing the the resistor to the mobo doesnt hold for sh*t. im going to have to solder it to the smd(i assum that is what it is). i was planning on doing the ddr mod tuesday as well as the correct vdd mod.

I had mine soldered by a professional :p It's too crappy to be done if it's not your job and you instantly kill your MB. I've done the others myself without any problems (Vddr & Vcore) After that I've hot glued the wires to the nearest caps so as not to put *any* bending pressure on the soldering. I think it's safer for long term.

and trust me, i tried tightening it properly, thats how i already stripped one mounting screw, therefore only leaving me with three mounting holes. that in turn is what is causing the no contact. i used plenty of as3 and when i removed the pelt it looked like it barely made contact, not the usual imprint of the core in the as3. i need another freakin screw... o well, i put my hhc001 back on and it runs fine right now at 11x200.

once i get the mods done and possible the slk900u i may start cranking it up again.

Have a look at this article and check whether you can use the same method for mounting your waterblock (I don't know whether it's better, but worth a try !):

http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=29

Hope it helps ! :D

Morkai
02-28-2003, 11:23 AM
I did all mods and results were quite good. So far 242MHz (http://www.skenegroup.net/dfi_modit/morkai_id8.gif) sync DC in Windows and running few test is no problem. VDD 2,05V VCore 2,05V Vmem 3,2V and timings 4-2-2-2 (Kingston HyperX PC3000). All this is possible by using GF MX. When I switch back to Gf3 Ti500 or Radeon 9500/9700 serious problems occur and system is barely able to boot at 230MHz.

I also noticed that high Vcore used kill FSB overclockabilty and so I did 5V mod. Now it works flawlessly on high FSB and I even managed to overclock CPU little higher. 24/7 2555MHz 2,05V and quite happy.

(No need to comment my bad english)

phobix
02-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks Guys for this MOD, It works like a champ! :toast:

Haven't installed my 462-uht yet so I won't be posting any screenies but I love this board now :D

Duronbird
03-01-2003, 10:47 AM
My Best KHX3500/256MB DC(vdd 2.05v and vmem 3.15) users.kymp.net/p203463a/A7N8X/210203/fsb250PiFast_d.gif and Sandra memory users.kymp.net/p203463a/A7N8X/210203/sandra250cas2225d.gif

WildKard
03-01-2003, 01:45 PM
HOLY SHMOLY DURONBIRD!!!

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

Is that prime95 doable/3dmark? or is it just boot do the mem test and crash? :)

Eitherway its absolutely incredible!! EXCELLENT WORK! :toast:

sysfailur
03-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Duronbird/Morkai: Welcome to the forums both of you and VERY NICE SCORES!!!!!!!!

I am deff. going to have to try raising my chipset voltage. I'm only @ 1.9v and doing 240mhz. I think if I did 2.05v like you guys I *might* be able to do 250mhz sisoft.

You guys really need to post those sisoft scores here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9924&pagenumber=2 :)

sysfailur
03-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Duronbird: What bios is that??? 1019 003? I have never heard of that one.

WildKard
03-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Just noticed he is feeding the ram 3.648v!!!!! SIZZLE SIZZLE POP :stick:

Duronbird
03-02-2003, 11:46 AM
"Just noticed he is feeding the ram 3.648v!!!!!" that`s is Vio -volts.

WildKard
03-02-2003, 12:09 PM
whew thats a relief :)

so what version of the bios is that you are using?

Duronbird
03-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Savon Mafia
03-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Asus A7N8X deluxe rev.1.04. FSB tests.

Volts:
Vmem 3.25V
Vcore 2.22V
Vdd 2.1V
Vio 3.8V

CPU was -20 degrees of celsius. Chipset was cooled with peltier and water.

Highest stable FSB was 250MHz (11 x 250,57MHz), but Asus, we need some more ;-)

http://koti.mbnet.fi/okosunen/asus/250fsb.gif
http://koti.mbnet.fi/okosunen/asus/2230_246FSB.gif

Morkai
03-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Savon mafia: I agree

HMB
03-03-2003, 10:33 AM
For those of you who are afraid of soldering on the resistor (including me) I can give u a little hint, I will VDD-mod my board using glue which is conductive. Just use a nail or something small to apply the glue, I suppose its relatively easy to remove it if u screw up ;) Happy modding!

phobix
03-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Soldering is not that bad, I use a multi stranded wire in which I remove all strands but one, I then coat the single strand with a bit of solder (Remember a tiny bit), I then pre-route the wire to the location where it is to be soldered. I use the glue-gun to adhere the wire to the Mobo to hold it in place, so that after it is soldered no stress will be placed on the solder joint. I did not solder the resistor directly to the board. I then hold the wire against the solder point and then with a very fine tip soldering iron I touch the wire and it joins very nicely with no excess heat. That worked for me and I suggest practicing this on an old board you have hanging around, this will help you gain confidence, I did this and it worked for me.

See the pic to see what I did

HMB
03-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by phobix
Soldering is not that bad, I use a multi stranded wire in which I remove all strands but one, I then coat the single strand with a bit of solder (Remember a tiny bit), I then pre-route the wire to the location where it is to be soldered. I use the glue-gun to adhere the wire to the Mobo to hold it in place, so that after it is soldered no stress will be placed on the solder joint. I did not solder the resistor directly to the board. I then hold the wire against the solder point and then with a very fine tip soldering iron I touch the wire and it joins very nicely with no excess heat. That worked for me and I suggest practicing this on an old board you have hanging around, this will help you gain confidence, I did this and it worked for me.

See the pic to see what I did Did you solder to the IC or the surfacemounted resistor? Everything else is crystal clear, I might give soldering a chance since i have a soldering station with a 0,5mm tip.

phobix
03-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by HMB
Did you solder to the IC or the surfacemounted resistor? Everything else is crystal clear, I might give soldering a chance since i have a soldering station with a 0,5mm tip.

It looks that way from the pic, but no I soldered directly to the SMD resistor. The reason The wire is dropping from the back is that I did not want any possibility of any short.

You will also notice that I used the ground closest to the component I am modding, you can easily check this by using an Ohm meter and checking continuity between the Ground on the Fan header and any spot on the motherboard to locate a safe ground, but this is up to you, I just did not want wires all over my board. Good luck and May the Nforce be with you ;)

Fusion462
03-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Savon Mafia, how are you getting 2.22 Vcore? If I raise mine any higher than 2.06 it won't POST no matter what FSB/Multiplier setting I have it at.

sysfailur
03-04-2003, 12:11 PM
My VDD mod up close...

I used like 22 gauge solid wire, not stranded. And directly soldered w/ a 30w pencil tip soldering iron!!!! And it survived! :P

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_super_a7n8x/vddmod.jpg

HMB
03-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Either im just a complete bonehead when it comes to soldering or something is wrong with my equipment. I've been practicing soldering to an old intel graphics card (only thing intel is good for ;) ) and the friggin solder is §§§§§ing and wont connect to the SMD. Any clue? What temps should the iron be at? I can set it between like 200 and 450 degrees celsius. Maybe my solder is §§§§ or something? :(

phobix
03-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by HMB
Either im just a complete bonehead when it comes to soldering or something is wrong with my equipment. I've been practicing soldering to an old intel graphics card (only thing intel is good for ;) ) and the friggin solder is §§§§§ing and wont connect to the SMD. Any clue? What temps should the iron be at? I can set it between like 200 and 450 degrees celsius. Maybe my solder is §§§§ or something? :(

Make sure you are using a low temperature solder that is also very fine.

HMB
03-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Make sure you are using a low temperature solder that is also very fine. By fine u mean small diameter? I have 0,8mm now. Its a 40/60 combination and the meltpoint is 183-188 degrees celsius and it has fluss (or what its called :) ).

sysfailur
03-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Well I just re-soldered my VDD mod... I now am using a 1 MegaOhm + 470K... that should give me PLENTY of headroom :P I also chose to use a 22 Gauge stranded wire, and cut of 6 of the 8 strands. So it's nice and thin, soldered it to the side of the SMD, hot glue gunned it down and gonna go down and fire the beast up pretty soon. My cable was down for like 2 hours, so I'm catching up on what I've missed :P

phobix
03-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by HMB
By fine u mean small diameter? I have 0,8mm now. Its a 40/60 combination and the meltpoint is 183-188 degrees celsius and it has fluss (or what its called :) ).

The solder size is good, perhaps the iron temperature is not hot enough. My iron was fairly hot when I perfomed the soldering and unfortunatley my iron lacks a temperature control :( One additonal note, after the wire has been coated with solder, make sure you let it harden for 20-30 seconds before attempting to solder it to the SMD. At least you are practicing on a crap board first, so worse case scenario there is no harm done.. :) Good luck!

sysfailur
03-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Heh my 3rd resolder worked great :P *giggle*

Sadly I didn't have any luck with more VDD... geuss I need another stick of Kingmax. I have a 250mhz + stick of kingston (hit 253mhz on kd7 w/ a ratio @ only 3.05V)...

So if I had another stick of that I am sure that 250mhz could be hittable. My XMS is maxing @ 240mhz 2.5-4-4-7 sandra, 236mhz 2-3-3-6 sandra/pc mark 2k2, 233mhz 2-3-3-6 anything but 3D, and my setup seems to be able to do 3D @ 225mhz.

Anyway, I did have some success this time... had more time to play with than last time I used my setup. I took the radiator off which was heating up the water, rather than keeping it chilled (duh). I just replaced a waterblock where the radiator was cus I didn't have a tube joiner. What I accomplished was a new record hexus pifast. This is 233x11 as the picture says. I then ran @ 236mhz (the next step up) and I got to the 3rd sequence and it locked up my comp. So thanks alot Asus for NOT putting in 235mhz... I could've picked that and I bet it would've gone all the way through if I let it cool off for a minute.

EDIT: The pifast instability is a CPU issue, not a memory issue. It's not running cold enough.

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/asus_super_a7n8x/5738pifast.jpg

phobix
03-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Heh my 3rd resolder worked great :P *giggle*

Sadly I didn't have any luck with more VDD... geuss I need another stick of Kingmax. I have a 250mhz + stick of kingston (hit 253mhz on kd7 w/ a ratio @ only 3.05V)...

So if I had another stick of that I am sure that 250mhz could be hittable. My XMS is maxing @ 240mhz 2.5-4-4-7 sandra, 236mhz 2-3-3-6 sandra/pc mark 2k2, 233mhz 2-3-3-6 anything but 3D, and my setup seems to be able to do 3D @ 225mhz.

Anyway, I did have some success this time... had more time to play with than last time I used my setup. I took the radiator off which was heating up the water, rather than keeping it chilled (duh). I just replaced a waterblock where the radiator was cus I didn't have a tube joiner. What I accomplished was a new record hexus pifast. This is 233x11 as the picture says. I then ran @ 236mhz (the next step up) and I got to the 3rd sequence and it locked up my comp. So thanks alot Asus for NOT putting in 235mhz... I could've picked that and I bet it would've gone all the way through if I let it cool off for a minute.

EDIT: The pifast instability is a CPU issue, not a memory issue. It's not running cold enough.

That's pretty dam sweet sysfailur :D keep pushing it :D

I am surprised at how stable this board is, I mean everything is being pushed and the thing just keeps begging for more :D

So far I am at 220fsb using 1.888vdd, still air cooled on the NB with a ghetto fan on the SB with no heat-sink :( I am in the process of building a chipset waterblock and am waiting for the epoxy to cure. My hopes are to get some stability @ 230fsb but in dual channel mode. I noticed that the +5v rail drops when you drop a second stick of DDR in @ 220fsb, btw I measured this drop at the foot of the 'Fets. It looks like I am going to need mod my 550watt enermax with an adjustable pot because the +5v rail drop at 220 with 2 sticks of Ram is far too severe and is causing instability. With 1 stick I am rock stable, so far so good, it has been a lot of fun to follow this thread. Cheers!

HMB
03-06-2003, 08:14 AM
The solder size is good, perhaps the iron temperature is not hot enough. My iron was fairly hot when I perfomed the soldering and unfortunatley my iron lacks a temperature control :( One additonal note, after the wire has been coated with solder, make sure you let it harden for 20-30 seconds before attempting to solder it to the SMD. At least you are practicing on a crap board first, so worse case scenario there is no harm done.. :) Good luck! Well im gonna go with the conductive glue for the VDD-mod. Dont wanna risk my board. But I will make new vcore and vmem mod for the board since i accidentally chopped of the vmem pomona grabber in my enermax 12cm fan :D Gonna connect all vmods to groundpin on fanconnectors on the motherboard, its gonna be some good looking mods here! (Yeah baby yeaaaaaaah! :banana: ) Oh, i was thinking about buying me some fancy twinmos pc 3700 modules as well, will have to see what my budget is :toast:

Edit: Did i say i am getting a prometeia soon also? :banana:

phobix
03-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by HMB
Well im gonna go with the conductive glue for the VDD-mod. Dont wanna risk my board. But I will make new vcore and vmem mod for the board since i accidentally chopped of the vmem pomona grabber in my enermax 12cm fan :D Gonna connect all vmods to groundpin on fanconnectors on the motherboard, its gonna be some good looking mods here! (Yeah baby yeaaaaaaah! :banana: ) Oh, i was thinking about buying me some fancy twinmos pc 3700 modules as well, will have to see what my budget is :toast:

Keep us posted on the results!!!! I can't wait to see what the board does after :D :banana:

HMB
03-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Keep us posted on the results!!!! I can't wait to see what the board does after :D :banana: Hehe, conductive glue will arrive tomorrow, i will keep u guys posted ;) How could i not? :D

nikhsub1
03-06-2003, 12:26 PM
There is a NEWLY discovered pin to do the VDD MOD!!!!!!!!!!! Discovered by vmsrules you can see his pic here: http://webpages.charter.net/darrylh/vddmod.jpg and I have detailed it here:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/newvddpin.jpg

sysfailur
03-06-2003, 12:55 PM
OOOooo!!! That's spiffy. I wonder how he found that out? Did he accidentally solder onto the pin of the chip by accident when aiming for the SMD? :P

zacharyaus
03-06-2003, 09:35 PM
hey nikhsub1,
Do you think he's using the same amount of ohm's as the other mod?

sysfailur
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by zacharyaus
hey nikhsub1,
Do you think he's using the same amount of ohm's as the other mod?

Yes. And welcome to the forums!

HMB
03-07-2003, 07:38 AM
Hmm, seems to be too thin legs to attach pomonagrabbers to... Though u dont have to worry about overheating the darn SMD :)

HMB
03-07-2003, 09:38 AM
OK, two pomonagrabber-look-a-likes have been glued to wire. Im replacing my old vmem and vcore mod with new and improved ones :) Glue seems fine, its like arctic silver epoxy glue, same caracteristics, same colour :)

Edit: I checked out that darn IC-leg for VDD-mod. DAMN its tiny! :eek:

sysfailur
03-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by HMB
OK, two pomonagrabber-look-a-likes have been glued to wire. Im replacing my old vmem and vcore mod with new and improved ones :) Glue seems fine, its like arctic silver epoxy glue, same caracteristics, same colour :)

Edit: I checked out that darn IC-leg for VDD-mod. DAMN its tiny! :eek:

Haha yeah that thing is uber tiny! :P

HMB
03-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Haha yeah that thing is uber tiny! :P Hey! You forgot the two dots over the u, it should be übertiny! :banana: :rolleyes: Yeah im bored waiting for the glue to harden, can u blame me? :cool:

zacharyaus
03-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Yes. And welcome to the forums!

thanks! :D

King_Tweaker
03-07-2003, 07:04 PM
I can't find any UK stores with all these things needed for these mods.

Does anyone know of any that actually has stock of what is needed for this mod.

195~ is the best I can get out of my 2 * 256 of XMS 3200 C2. I want around 208 * 12.5 to get this 2500+ to 2600mhz.

So what I will need is

Soldering iron (any special type?, yes I am a noob modder)
solder (any special type, thickness?)

the rest is a bit of a mystery
is it 1 megaohm resistor and 1 megaohm variable resistor (potentiometer)

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

Oh and is it really that hard to get grabbers to work because I would rather use those so if I did a bad mod then I could just clip em off.

sysfailur
03-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Get as small of a soldering tip as possible. Like a micro tip. Pencil tip isn't small enough (although I use it--I'll be getting a micro soon).

As for solder, I just got some standard stuff... it's pretty thin in thickness, and you'd probably want to get something smaller. Just get standard electronics solder.

What you'll need for resistors is 1 standard 1 MegaOhm resistor. Then you'll need a 1 MegaOhm variable resistor as well. You'll solder the standard 1 MegaOhm resisotr to one of the legs of the variable resistor, let's say the middle, then you'd connect more wire to the other end of the standard resistor that you just soldered onto the variable resistor's middle pin. Then, choose one of the other 2 pins on the variable resistor and solder some wire to that. Then you shoul have 2 wires with exposed copper on the ends. Go ahead and solder 1 connection to ground, and solder the other to the pin.

NOTE: Before you solder it onto your motherboard, check it's reistance and make sure you're @ 2 MegaOhm total resistance! That is key, because if you're @ 1 MegaOhm (if the VR is turned the wrong way) you'll have a chispet voltage of 1.9v and you may not want it that high.

And I can't vouche for grabbers.. I've never used em.

Good luck!

HMB
03-08-2003, 12:19 AM
OK, its done :cool: Priming at 10x220MHz now, Vmem at 2.9V, Vcore 2.05V, VDD at 1.8 or so. Gonna have to see what i can get this mobo to run at :) Ohh the glue seems to work fine. :toast:

Edit: Im still running my ram @ 2-2-2-5 Timings, go TwinMOS! :D

zacharyaus
03-08-2003, 12:47 AM
this mod is bad-ass! but i'm wondering what everyone is using to cool they're NB's

HMB
03-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by zacharyaus
this mod is bad-ass! but i'm wondering what everyone is using to cool they're NB's Currently i use the standard heatsink, ive put a 40mm fan on top of it. Of course i have put some arctic silver between chipset+heatsink.

HMB
03-08-2003, 02:55 AM
I've removed my vdd-mod now, cable just wouldnt sit tight, will fix it though when i get my prometeia. Its kinda hard to fix the mod while mobo and everything is still in the computer. Much easier to fix when mobo is out of the box. Ah well :)

King_Tweaker
03-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys,

Any idea where I can get all this soldering gear on a UK store, or a store that ships here.

centaur
03-08-2003, 10:41 AM
hi! :)

i have a littel problem with FSBs over 213MHz.
i early get screenflashes and sometimes my system crashes. the Vdd is @ 1,9V (with 1MOhm)
should i go higher with Vdd? but i wont lose another a7n8x ;)

phobix
03-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by centaur
hi! :)

i have a littel problem with FSBs over 213MHz.
i early get screenflashes and sometimes my system crashes. the Vdd is @ 1,9V (with 1MOhm)
should i go higher with Vdd? but i wont lose another a7n8x ;)

Better put a WB on the NB, this is excessive heat causing this problem.

centaur
03-08-2003, 11:30 AM
my NB is just cooled by zalman NB cooler and a delta black label :)
the delta also cool my big mosfet-cooler

PMM
03-08-2003, 06:23 PM
[B]There is a NEWLY discovered pin to do the VDD MOD!!!!!!!!!!! Discovered by vmsrules

:confused: Erm don't think so its mentioned in my Orginal post
Page 1..post 1!!!! Both points are the same as that side of the
SMD links to pin 11.

sysfailur
03-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by PMM
:confused: Erm don't think so its mentioned in my Orginal post
Page 1..post 1!!!! Both points are the same as that side of the
SMD links to pin 11.

OMG haha! Well uhh... thanks again man! :)

Savon Mafia
03-09-2003, 12:04 AM
It looks that way from the pic, but no I soldered directly to the SMD resistor. The reason The wire is dropping from the back is that I did not want any possibility of any short.

You will also notice that I used the ground closest to the component I am modding, you can easily check this by using an Ohm meter and checking continuity between the Ground on the Fan header and any spot on the motherboard to locate a safe ground, but this is up to you, I just did not want wires all over my board. Good luck and May the Nforce be with you ;)

Our Vcore mod gives more voltage than regular Vcore mod.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/okosunen/asus/modit/

Savon Mafia
03-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Savon Mafia
Our Vcore mod gives more voltage than regular Vcore mod.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/okosunen/asus/modit/

Heh, Sorry, wrong place, but I tryed to answer that Vcore limit question. With our mod it is possible to adjust Vcore voltages up to 2.3V

phobix
03-09-2003, 07:30 AM
OMG haha! Well uhh... thanks again man! :)

Hey sysfailur! Nice job on the page you posted on your site. I like the setup you got going there :toast:

phobix
03-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Heh, Sorry, wrong place, but I tryed to answer that Vcore limit question. With our mod it is possible to adjust Vcore voltages up to 2.3V

Hey,

I was just looking at the datasheet for the L6917BD and it seems that the pin that manages overvolt protection is Pin 10 or Vsen. But it may very well be the overcurrent protection which is limiting max vcore this is pin 13 (Channel 1) / ISEN1 and Pin 16 (Channel 2) / ISEN2. The output current can be sensed either through a series resistor or across the lowside Mosfet RDSon. Perhaps someone with more intimate knowledge of the layout of the board can confirm which one of the 3 possibilities above is responsible for limiting max Vcore.

Please check the datasheet here:

http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8162.pdf

PMM
03-09-2003, 02:09 PM

Got more details? e.g. wiring diagram hard to tell where all those
black wire go to.

Noticed you got a 500ohm multiturner & 33ohm resistor but
the way its wired is hard to tell, I know the 1st mount on the
capacitor is ground I know the two points nearest CPU are
current running voltage I know it also seems to trace back to
the FBR&FBG pins of the IC with resistors somewhere in between.

Question is.... Is that alone getting you upto 2.3v? or are you
still having to do the FB pin mod in addtion but not shown in
your pictures.

HMB
03-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Interesting, but 2.1Vcore is enough for prometeia or? :)

sysfailur
03-10-2003, 12:57 PM
!!!!! 2.3v! I'm doing that mod. Period! Please do share more details!

The max I can get is ~ 2.15v I think currently and I'd love to have more.

King_Tweaker
03-10-2003, 02:18 PM
OK I finally found a site that I think will have all the resistors and stuff I need.

Can some of you guys check to see am I getting the right stuff.

The site I found is
http://www.radionics.ie

I went into resistors, and was looking for 1megaohm (im a noob btw). All I could see was wattage ratings so I went into high stability carbon resistors and stuff and under all watt categories there is a 1mohm resistor.

Does it make a difference.

Could any of you expert guys tell me what to add to my basket from this site to have a successful mod. I have no wire or nothing.

Im off to see have they got any wire and solder :)

nikhsub1
03-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by HMB
Hmm, seems to be too thin legs to attach pomonagrabbers to... Though u dont have to worry about overheating the darn SMD :)
Nope, it works with my SMD grabbers!!! But, I moved the stock NB sink to the SB, then attached the Grabber to the IC pin, then hot glued the other end of the Grabber to the HSF on the SB! That sucker won't move! Check it out:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/grabbervdd.jpg

If you want to see all my volt mods, click this link and note: NO SOLDERING!!! http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/wholeboard.jpg

phobix
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Nope, it works with my SMD grabbers!!! But, I moved the stock NB sink to the SB, then attached the Grabber to the IC pin, then hot glued the other end of the Grabber to the HSF on the SB! That sucker won't move! Check it out:

http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/grabbervdd.jpg

If you want to see all my volt mods, click this link and note: NO SOLDERING!!! http://www.netbetty.com/H20/asus/wholeboard.jpg

Nice!

Where did you find those Micro SMD Grabbers?

nikhsub1
03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Nice!

Where did you find those Micro SMD Grabbers?
I got them at Fry's. I seem to pick up a bag or 2 every time I go there!

zacharyaus
03-16-2003, 03:27 PM
ya the fry's in burbank has'em that's where i got mine.
i was like $5 for them both though :slapass:
but it was worth it! :D

pelikan
04-04-2003, 07:43 AM
I found some SMD grabbers that are designed to grab a chip leg with a lead pitch of .5mm to .8mm. The size of the leg for this mod is .65mm. So this grabber is perfect. It costs $19. though.
It's part #8174: http://www.probemaster.com/smdprobe.htm

HMB
05-11-2003, 02:37 AM
*Bump* ;)

blubbo
06-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Hi all! This is my first post in here! I want to thank u guys for submitting such good information that helped me very much when i was doing my vdd mod. I will submit pics off my board and mod.
http://promodders.dajm.com/anv/upload/blubbo/hela.JPG

http://promodders.dajm.com/anv/upload/blubbo/vddmod.JPG

I didn't feel like my soldering skillz were good enough so i used glue and it works perfect. With the mod i managed to get 200FSB and before i only could get 182.