PDA

View Full Version : caps and alternators question

Jrocket
12-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Im probably going to be getting 2 12" alpine type Rs and pairing them with an amp that pushes 1000wrms-1200wrms @1 ohm, so about 2400 w peak. Im wondering, if I were to get this if I would need a new alternator. If I do, then I have to go with lower watts, cause a new alternator is out of the question. I have been told that I might be ok if I get a 2.5 farad capacitor, but I have heard alot of negative things about caps. Anyways, I know we have some crazy and knowledgeable guys here, so I wanted to run this by yall. So, will a new an HO alt?

[XC] leviathan18
12-11-2005, 10:45 AM
the caps you should run them per 1000rms of total power 1 farad you can buy a new alternator too really dont know what is better i have a cap and no problems yet

tennvols_69
12-11-2005, 03:50 PM
i would say get a 1 fared cap and a higher amp alternator. i have a 800wrms amp pushing 2 12" subs and even with my 1 fared cap you can see the lights still dim.

STEvil
01-08-2006, 08:53 AM
get an alternator and upgrade the ground cable for your battery, the alt, and the power wire from the alt to the battery ("the big 3").

Caps are bandaids and the only time you should ever require one or more is for burps in 2KW+ systems designed specifically for SPL, which then again you'd be running multiple batteries in parallel anyways so the charge cycle (ESR) of the cap wouldnt matter too much anyways.

In short: caps are for ricers.

Jrocket
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM

Great qoute!
I had pretty much been told not to mess with them, because if the alt couldnt charge the battery with enough amperage you were pretty much screwed. I had just read a couple accounts of caps working, and wanted to ask for a second opinion.
Thanks

bullet2urbrain
01-16-2006, 02:38 PM
get an alternator and upgrade the ground cable for your battery, the alt, and the power wire from the alt to the battery ("the big 3").

Caps are bandaids and the only time you should ever require one or more is for burps in 2KW+ systems designed specifically for SPL, which then again you'd be running multiple batteries in parallel anyways so the charge cycle (ESR) of the cap wouldnt matter too much anyways.

OMG i love you STEvil.. i was about to type the exact same thing...

Caps are bandaids... where is Shmaa when i need him too.. Shmaa competes in SPL too...

wdrzal
01-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Basic physics, you need to produce as much power as you are using. caps just let you use the systems (battery) reserve but that will run out with continious use.get a bigger Alt or smaller amp.

good sound is not about the highest amperage but clarity and distortion.

STEvil
01-16-2006, 08:57 PM
hm.. I should talk with shmaa ;)

Carlz0r
01-24-2006, 08:40 AM

Better yet, upgrade the battery too. People seem to go 2 battery crazy, when one of these would probably suffice:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISP1700