12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Just curious what anti-virus software you guys use ? :rolleyes:

ExtraPickles
12-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Nod32

-pickles

Dissolved
12-10-2005, 01:22 AM
search, theres a long thread on this topic just recently..

eddieate
12-18-2005, 02:52 PM
none, whats the point? i used norton anti virus on my old dell and if it actually found a virus it just told you about it, didnt really do anything. apart from that it just sat there taking up system resources.
if you upgrade enough then you'll need to re-install windows fairly regurly anyway so i see no point.
/Ed

Magnj
12-18-2005, 05:04 PM
ediie...thats just stupid. I use McAfee 9.0 and its rocks. Actively scans any news files on your system that you dl or execute. As far as firewall I use windows and NVidias anti hacking features...not sure how much the Nvidia thing does though

[XC] Lead Head
12-18-2005, 08:21 PM
avast home edition

Upl][nk
01-02-2006, 04:36 AM
ediie...thats just stupid. I use McAfee 9.0 and its rocks.

not really i just started using nod32 but up untill then i didnt use anything firewall/virus scanner at all and never got a virus ...just becarefull what you do thats all

ElectricShoes
01-17-2006, 04:07 PM
antivir is super good freeware antivirus. http://www.free-av.com/

Alante
02-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Days after the revelation of a flaw in Windows' handling of WMF graphics files, dozens of exploits are being spread from thousands of adware sites. But good protection is available.

At the same time, further testing confirms that a workaround issued by third parties and endorsed by Microsoft Corp. is effective in most regards, and in the most important circumstances, but not in all. Also, the workaround has side effects that could prove troublesome.

AV-Test, which tests anti-malware products, has been tracking the situation closely and has, so far, analyzed 73 variants of malicious WMF files. Products from the following companies have identified all 73:

* Alwil Software (Avast)
* Softwin (BitDefender)
* ClamAV
* F-Secure Inc.
* Fortinet Inc.
* McAfee Inc.
* ESET (Nod32)
* Panda Software
* Sophos Plc
* Symantec Corp.
* Trend Micro Inc.
* VirusBuster

These products detected fewer variants:

* 62 — eTrust-VET
* 62 — QuickHeal
* 61 — AntiVir
* 61 — Dr Web
* 61 — Kaspersky
* 60 — AVG
* 19 — Command
* 19 — F-Prot
* 11 — Ewido
* 7 — eSafe
* 7 — eTrust-INO
* 6 — Ikarus
* 6 — VBA32
* 0 — Norman

eWEEK.com Special Report: Spyware

The difference for the more effective products is likely to be heuristic detection, tracking the threat by identifying the basic techniques of the exploit, rather than looking for specific patterns for specific exploits.

The latter technique leaves users vulnerable to threats that the vendor has not yet identified and protected against. Mikko Hypponen of F-Secure, when asked about the matter, said, "Heuristic detection rocks."

After some concern was expressed about the efficacy of the workaround proposed by third parties and endorsed by Microsoft, it appears that it is basically effective at preventing exploitation in the most common circumstances, but not in all.

Source: http://security.ithub.com/

...I'v tried moust of them,...my conclusion: ESET (Nod32) combined with Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro is a good combinations (especialy the resources needed to run those two - LOW) ;)

biohead
02-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Antivirus and firewall sucks, it slows down your system. Just be careful what you do. Never had a problem for what, 3 years? Only thing I got was a little worm one year back. It shut down taskmanager, regedit, etc, right after u opened it. So I installed McAfee, updated it, found the virus.. which he couldn't delete because of yadayadayada. So I got rid of it myself. Went to safe mode, renamed regedit.exe to regedit1.exe; as predicted it didn't close no more. I removed the noobworm from startup. Done =/

Keeping the system clean and doing manual scans frequently enough, doesn't make me have to format in every season :p:

[XC] Lead Head
02-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I notice a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 001% differernce in speed between no anti-virus and ahving anti virus, as for firewall, i just use the D-Link hardware firewall

GuitarFreak1857
02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I use AVG and Zone Alarm Security Suite.

manomanx2
02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Kapersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro + Kerio Personal Firewall.

runmc
02-24-2006, 04:47 AM
BitDefender 9 Standard

You don't need virus protection unless you have something you don't want to loose.

Bitten once - Twice shy :D

drtitanium0
02-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Zonealarm is best in my opinion but u have to get the suite

Daveb2012
02-26-2006, 07:10 AM
I have used every thing, many on a regular basis. Your best bet is to just run free scans if you think you have some thing. for spyware start with Ewido/bitdefender/spysweeper/adaware. ewido and bitdender both have free online scans via their websites. adaware if free dl for personal edition and spysweeper also has a 14 day free trial available for download.

for Anti virus, trendmicro's house call is the best online scanner although they have different versions and you only want the old version you have to type "housecall60" (one word) in a google search engine to find it, its the 2nd link. Avast, Antivir, AVG, Nod32, Mcafee are also free some you have to register your email to get a key. bitdefender is actually more of AV then spyware. the combination of every thing ran is most effect if you have a really infected computer. certain scans will pick things up that others miss. adaware misses a lot of spyware that ewido will find, but ewido will miss infections adaware can find. Also if computer is really infected run every thing in safe mode then run in normal mode after on each user account. finish up and or start off with a Hi'jack this scan to remove things in memory.

zicl
02-26-2006, 08:23 AM
i use NOD32, very good program and uses very system resources. i use a router instead of software firewall.