PDA

View Full Version : Why not make thermos isolation?

Kaffebord
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi.
In todays physics class I come up with an idea. Why not make isolation in thesame way as a thermos.
Normal isolation might work well enough, but it could be cool to hear from you guys if it would work.

Here is a drawing of how a thermos work:
http://cougar.slvhs.slv.k12.ca.us/~pboomer/physicslectures/heat/thermos.jpg

Sorry for very bad english.

gloatlizard
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
insulation for what?for a container i can imagine, i also had this idea in a conversation with my friend ilkka;) con can use 2 walls close them and vacuum with a gauge

Kaffebord
12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah for the container (sorry for not mention that)
Cool to hear other that have had the same idea.

Nanometer
12-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Interesting idea, but how on earth would we produce a copper tube with a vacuum inside? If it was able to work the temps would be really nice..

ToxicBug
12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
The bottom needs to be solid obviously... Anyway, why do you necessarily need a vacuum? Air is an insulator, isn't it?

Viperman5686
12-17-2005, 02:14 PM
The bottom needs to be solid obviously... Anyway, why do you necessarily need a vacuum? Air is an insulator, isn't it?

Not really, a vacuum is a lot better. That's the premise behind the Dewar (a thermos) and the storm window.

I think that a LN2 cooling setup with thermos-like insulation could be done fairly easily. To put it simply, just imagine a thermos, cut a hole in the center, and stick a piece of copper in there to conduct the heat from the CPU to the LN2. The container would have a part (besides the top) that can't insulate as well as the rest of it, that being the copper heatsink. Just make the copper the same size as the heatspreader on the CPU and make it not stick out from the bottom of the "thermos." There wouldn't be any for condensation because the copper would only be touching the CPU and no air.

MeltedDuron
12-17-2005, 08:36 PM
I wanna bench in outer space... :p: same principal, just more extreme

[XC] moddolicous
12-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Thats one LONG extention cord.

Viperman5686
12-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I wanna bench in outer space... :p: same principal, just more extreme

Then you'd have to cool every inch of your computer with something that didn't use any form of mechanical heat transfer. No aircooling, no watercooling, no peltier, and no phase change. Might as well throw the whole thing in a tub of LN2 and then put it in a vacuum.

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

Thrilla
12-25-2005, 02:56 PM
I think it's a great idea! Just get 2 copper tubes, one smaller than the other, then solder the ends shut, vacuum it. Install a copper base.

But I wouldn't go through all the trouble just to save some $5 insulation foam ;)

If you do it in outter space, on the dark side (no sun), it'll cool so much that then entire computer would become a super conductor; if you do it on the hot side (sun), you'll burn it up right away; if you do it in between the dark and hot, either one side will melt and the other super conduct, or you won't have enough time to even boot it. Unless you can travel to a place where there is very little sun, I don't see the point.

DeNs
01-01-2006, 04:12 AM
insulation for what?for a container i can imagine, i also had this idea in a conversation with my friend ilkka;) con can use 2 walls close them and vacuum with a gauge

Exactly what I thought up earlier this year, but in reality, closed cell foam insulation is fine considering the usage that you'll get out of the tube and the effort you put into making it as well as the cost of doing it. I decided it wasn't worth it :) However if you've got the time and patience...

---dens

Kaffebord
01-01-2006, 05:11 AM
I think it's a great idea! Just get 2 copper tubes, one smaller than the other, then solder the ends shut, vacuum it. Install a copper base.

But I wouldn't go through all the trouble just to save some $5 insulation foam ;)

Just what I thougt. It will work, but isn't whorth the effort.

Thanks for the answers guys!

D_o_S
01-01-2006, 11:47 AM
EDIT: Never mind, my idea wouldn't work

ilkkahy
01-01-2006, 12:46 PM
The outer pipe needed to be glass or something and got to be connected to bottom so that it wont conduct heat to pipe. This is very halfass calculation but here i go anyway (im sure some pro may find this amusing at least):

Lets assume outer pipe is 64mm diameter and 2mm thick. Surface area from bottom to outer pipe is 6,4*3,14*0,2=3,768cm^2 The material is copper so lets multiplier it with 400W/mK=1507,2(something..) In fact the container also conducts heat from upper side of pipe too so its more like 1500*2=3000.

Then normal closed cell foam solution. It radiates (or receives more like) heat from whole surface area of pipe, but it is isolated with cell foam: 6,4*3,14*24(lengt of the pipe)*0.02W/mK(assumed cell foam heat conductivity)=9,64(something)

9 vs 3000.. Naturally this thermos isolation model is completely wrongly made since outer pipe is assumed to be connected to bottom due copper.

Nanometer
01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
It isnt possible for us to make a perfect vacuum. If you were to combined that with sub zero temperatures, the system would likely implode. The effects could be deadly to your computer or to yourself.

Bergo
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
not really a bad Idea, sure the bottom and top wuold have to conduct a bit of heat to the outer walls of your chamber, but it would be easy to make and would require substantially less insulation on the outside wall, all you'd have to do is use a pipe with a diameter a few CM larger than the inner pipe, and braze a shrade valve to the outside pipe to be able to vacuum it out afterwards, half the poeple on this forum seem to have a vacuum pump for use with their phase change rigs, so i"m sure someone could whip something up.