PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide 350 V8 S10 or Eagle talon TSI

sandman
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
The S10 is an '89 with a 350 in it, so it'd be pretty quick. Has 85,000 miles on both the motor and the body. Geared pretty low, not sure what it is specifically, something like 4.10's in it I think. So, basically crap for gas mileage, but it'd be fun. it's an auto, and I'd really prefer a manual, but, it's only $1500

The eagle talon is supercharged '92 with 140K on it. It's a 5 speed manual. Should do fairly well on gas, and still be kinda zippy I think. However, it isn't the AWD, it's just the FWD, which I'm not really a fan of.

I've test driven both, and they both drive pretty well, the talon was a bit more comfortable, but I'm never really in my car for over 45 minutes at a time, and the majority of the time it's from 10-20 minutes. While the S10 is crazy fun, and lights them up so easy, it's only gonna get like what, 11 mpg, maybe 14 tops if don't get into it at all. Whereas the talon will probably get mid 20's.

I'm a high-school kid, but I'd like to keep this vehicle for awhile. I live in northern ohio, so we get a decent amount of snow for about 4 months a year
, and the S10 would definatly spin be more difficult.

The majority of my driving is rural, like 5-10 mile stretches of road at 55mph.

I really can't decide between the two, anyone got any suggestions?

Soulburner
12-07-2005, 12:54 AM
The turbocharged Talon/Eclipse/Laser are actually not very good on gas despite their small engine and low power output (stock).

I have a 347ci V8 engine (not quite your standard 350, its a Gen III LS1) and I can actually manage 18mpg in city driving and 26 highway all the while putting 350hp to the wheels and nearly 400 at the crank from my lightly tuned engine.

Besides...even if you make the DSM fast...it will never have that small block V8 sound.

However an AWD car will do far better in the winter. I will never take my car out in snow/ice.

sandman
12-07-2005, 04:56 AM
The turbocharged Talon/Eclipse/Laser are actually not very good on gas despite their small engine and low power output (stock).

I have a 347ci V8 engine (not quite your standard 350, its a Gen III LS1) and I can actually manage 18mpg in city driving and 26 highway all the while putting 350hp to the wheels and nearly 400 at the crank from my lightly tuned engine.

Besides...even if you make the DSM fast...it will never have that small block V8 sound.

However an AWD car will do far better in the winter. I will never take my car out in snow/ice.

Do you knw what gearing your TA has?

I'd be willing to bet your car is a decent amount lighter.

What sort of mileage do the tolan's get?

Rukee
12-07-2005, 05:52 AM
I`d take the V-8 S-10, you could always put taller tires on the back or swap out the rear axle to increase the gear ratio, that would up your millage too.

Soulburner
12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Do you knw what gearing your TA has?

I'd be willing to bet your car is a decent amount lighter.

What sort of mileage do the tolan's get?
3.23 on the rear axle.

First gear is 3.06 and I have an OD of .7 something. You also need to keep in mind i'm fuel injected though.

If I had the OD of the 6 speed I could pull 30mpg on the interstate.

sandman
12-07-2005, 12:17 PM
3.23 on the rear axle.

First gear is 3.06 and I have an OD of .7 something. You also need to keep in mind i'm fuel injected though.

If I had the OD of the 6 speed I could pull 30mpg on the interstate.

My dad has an LS1 TA 6 speed, and I think he pulls like 28-29 highway, he has 4.10's in it too.

ToxicBug
12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
They both look like terrible choices for a car to me. The S10 is a gas guzzler and its ancient... its also an automatic. The Talon is old, non-awd, and its a DSM assembled in the US, so it will break all the time. Btw, the TSi is turbocharged, not supercharged.

If your budget is limited, consider the 323/protege or the 92-95 Civic, you should find some great ones for 2k. Both are good cars.

jaguarking11
12-07-2005, 09:05 PM
S10 sounds like a good truck to me. Talon does guzzle gas as well btw. Test drove one. The owner told me the thing got somehting like 15mpg city and 22-23highway.

rozzyroz
12-08-2005, 07:23 AM
its a DSM assembled in the US, so it will break all the time.

wtf is that about? :stick:

WesM63
12-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Out of the 2 i'd go with the Talon. You'll get better gas milage than the S-10.

Soulburner
12-08-2005, 09:20 AM
wtf is that about? :stick:
It's true.

CanadianTSi
12-08-2005, 07:39 PM

I beg to differ...My Talon that puts down almost 400 to all 4 wheels got 26mpg on my last trip to the dyno, that was with about 10 4th gear WOT pulls and a mix of city/highway.

Mr. Manka
12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
are you insane!!!

theres no way you can turn down a light,fast truck.

those talons are seriously weak, that s-10 has alot of power, and if its a fuelie, you can burn a custom prom to get better mileage and one for raw power.

MRBIGSHOT
12-08-2005, 08:35 PM
i had a short box 84 tenner with a 383. its was really light, scaled out in the mid 2850's. keep an eye on the rearends, the spider gears tend to let go.

rozzyroz
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
It's true.

it's the farthest thing from the truth that there is. i would have to go as far as to say its a lie.... there may be some models that are engineered low budget, but none are assembled badly.

this isnt the 80's when ford had a problem with quality. i know several uaw workers (some in my family) and they live for their jobs.

it's such a horrible stereotype thats just not true.

ciento44
12-10-2005, 08:08 PM
DSMs, especially the N/A versions, but even the turbo awd versions don't get bad gas mileage.

It's all about how you drive the things. If you're on the boost the whole time, the mileage will be terrible. If i try at it, i can get 13mpg for a whole tank if i wanted to, in a Celica.

If you don't drive like an idiot, then you should be fine, burn MUCH less gas than said S10.

It's AWD, no offense, but why even think about this? If it's in good shape, then get it. It'll be more fun on twisty roads, it'll be driveable in the winter, as opposed to the extremely tail-happy S10.

And if you want speed, almost no motor is more receptive to upgrades than the engine in the DSM. To quote a fairly recent magazine, it gains power just by you looking at it.

If you really want something to do massive burnouts in, then get the S10.

ToxicBug
12-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Nobody said it's AWD.

ciento44
12-11-2005, 03:28 AM
^ My apologies.

Ok, to rephrase, if it's the turbo/awd, then get that, imo. Otherwise, i'd stay away from it. The other models will be bound to be at least as fishy as my Celica, and i hate driving that thing in snow.

Soulburner
12-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I know a handful of DSM owners that don't get any better mileage than my LS1 yet have a motor 1/2 the size. They also are broken and not running 1/2 the time either :p

It will be better than the S10 as a winter vehicle though regardless whether it is AWD or not.

arisythila
12-28-2005, 08:21 AM
a Talon should get about 28 mpg, city and highway..

I know my 450 hp 2L turbo motor I get about 24 mpg, city and highway..

Turbo cars really get very good gas milage compared to NA engines. aslong as you know how to lay off the gas.. alittle gas in a turbo car goes a long way.

nothing better than when the turbo starts spooling up, with 1/4 throttle. feels like full throttle on a NA car..

~Michael

Soulburner
12-29-2005, 12:30 AM

City mileage and highway mileage are two completely different things...I get 18 city and 26 highway...

nothing better than when the turbo starts spooling up, with 1/4 throttle. feels like full throttle on a NA car.
Uh no comment...:stick:

ToxicBug
12-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Turbo cars really get very good gas milage compared to NA engines. aslong as you know how to lay off the gas.. alittle gas in a turbo car goes a long way.

nothing better than when the turbo starts spooling up, with 1/4 throttle. feels like full throttle on a NA car..

~Michael
Please don't post here ever again.

David Coleman
12-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Please don't post here ever again.

Uh why? That is consistent with the DSM guys I know here in gville. The guys who break alot are the guys who skimp on parts because the car is cheap and don't dyno tune their cars at 2bar. Fools...

Soulburner
12-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Uh why? That is consistent with the DSM guys I know here in gville. The guys who break alot are the guys who skimp on parts because the car is cheap and don't dyno tune their cars at 2bar. Fools...
No, it's because of the other things he said. For one the mileage comment, and second the boost...

I'm not flaming though, everyone has to start from somewhere.