PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with @x1gb HX!!

TwoMunsters
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I finally got my G.Skill HX from Newegg. I've been running it in my rig for a week now at stock speed/timings. This past weekend I thought I'd see if I could run it up to 250mHz with relatively tight timings as has been reported here and elsewhere.... I set my cpu multi down a notch so as not to be limited by that, dropped my HTT multi to 3x, and bump0ed up Vdimm to 2.7V. I increased the HTT freq. to 215 in the bios and went to boot ---NO GO!

I thought that was odd so I I entered the setup and set HTT to 210 - sttill no luck. Back to the bios, I set cas latency to 2.5 - wouldn't boot. Completely frustrated, I went back and set it to stock voltage - no luck .
My question is simply -"what's going on here?" Why can't I get an ounce out of this memory? Suggestions anyone??

GSKILL TECH
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
try 2.5-3-2-5 DDR500 and all auto to see what is going on there.
give me some more detail

Impaqt
12-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Details like what Motherboard you have can help quite a bit as well.....

and CPU.....

Have you been able to run ANY memory at higher speeds? If s, Which? COuld be a bad memory controller on the CPU as well...

A Screenshot of A64 Tweaker can help as well.

TwoMunsters
12-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Guys- Thanks for the replies. I'm working 12 hr days and haven't had a chance to fool with this since the weekend. hopefully friday I can fool with it and I'll give you some screenshots. BTW-my system....

Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI bios f9 mobo
x2 3800
1 x 2 gb G.Skill HX
Aspire ATX AS520W psu

I've used a friends 2 x 1gb Gigaram in this system at stock it was fine, I didn't oc it though because it wasn't mine. I've had the HTT on this rig up to 260 (260x9) while testing the cpu . For what it's worth, this cpu/mobo combo doesn't seem to oc real well.... at 1.5V I can only get this thing to 245x10. I have a lot of problems with core 0 failing prime.

Thanks.

EDIT: GS Tech - I didn't try it at 2.5-3-2-5 at DDR500, but I did try those timings at 245 (1:1) and it wouldn't post. At 2450 with a 5:6 (166) it primes for about 30 min then usually fails on core 0, however it posts, boots and will play BF 2 for short periods ( never really tried to game for hours on end).

GSKILL TECH
12-08-2005, 10:59 AM
thank you for your infomantion
i am sorry cuz i haven't have chance to using any gigabyte's mobo. i carefullly read thru your reply and i have some question.
you stated that
I've had the HTT on this rig up to 260 (260x9) while testing the cpu . For what it's worth, this cpu/mobo combo doesn't seem to oc real well.... at 1.5V I can only get this thing to 245x10
did you do 1:1 or other setting. i am not sure is the FSB for the CPU can not reach that high or other problem. i am thinking that maybe the layout of the mobo doesn't support high FSB, this i am not sure. do you try another ram to see it can reach 250 above before? let me know thank you

GST

TwoMunsters
12-09-2005, 04:57 PM
When I had the computer at 245x10 I had the ram at 5:6 (166) and at 1:2 (100). I know the board will go up to at least 260 on the HTT. I had it at 260 x 9 and 1.375V and it Primed ok overnight.

To answer your question about trying other ram...no I haven't tried to oc it with other ram installed. I did have some borrowed ram and ran a 5:6 divider while having the cpu at 220 x 10.

TwoMunsters
12-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Alright, I think I have the info you all asked for. I was up 'til 4AM last night playing with this thing and I'll try to summarize the results here...

All settings were at 1T and (except for Cas Latency,RAS# toCAS#,Row Precharge,andMin RAS#-tRAS- the four everyone speaks of) set as they were recognized when I installed the ram in the machine. The ram was initially recognized at 2-3-2-5 when I installed it. In all cases below I'm running two instances of Prime. These are all cpu speeds that previously passed 30 min prime at a 1:2 setting with stock ram timings - Vcore below is that which passed with a 10x multi.

At 240 HTT(9x cpu multi., 1.425 Vcore, Vdimm normal @2.6):

@5:6(166) 2-3-2-5 -- Passed P95 blend 36 min.
@1:1 (200) 2-3-2-5 -- Post, no boot
@1:1(200) 2.5-3-2-5 -- Passed P95, however core1 only showed 1 test completed, core 0 showed 3 completed, but neither gave summary when test was stopped - I don't really consider this passing Prime.

@1:1(200) 3-3-2-5 -- no post , I've tried cas lat. at 3 before with other speeds and never have gotten it to post.

At 245HTT(9x cpu multi, 1.45Vcore, Vdimm +.1V)

@5:6 2-3-2-5 -- Fail after 20min
@1:1 2.5-3-2-5 --Failed immediately upon starting test
@1:2 2.5 -3-2-5 -- computer froze while running test!(passed previously @2 -3-2-5, 10x cpu multi - WTF???)

At 250HTT 2.5-3-2-5 ,Vdimm +.1V, 1:1 Timing - no post.

I included that last one because the G.Skill Tech told me to try that, even though the above results pointed to it not working.

You will notive that the CPU-Z shows my HTT @237 (10x cpu multi) , this is with memory at 5:6 (166) Vdimm normal(show as 2.6V on Gigabyte's EasyTune monitor program) . I ran this P95 max heat overnight and it was still running at 11:30 this morning.(Just installed an xp-90 and I wanted to start curing the AS5). Oh I should mention, for what it's worth, temps for the cpu maxed at 48 for any test( at 9x multi they never went above 41C), chipset voltage was +.1V for all tests, and while not having a ram cooling device on the sticks, I do have a 80MM/34 cfm fan in the top of the case blowing down over the sticks - it's about 5" away, but unobstructed.

Hope this is enought info. I tried other settings ( i'd have to go back over my notes), but these are the highlights I thought would be relevant. As I previously stated, I couldn't get these sticks to be what I would call Prime Stable at any Htt over 200. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: CPU-Z shows the bios version as F6-don't know why, but I've heard other people having the beta version,F10, recognized as F6. I flashed the bios with a copy of F9 sent to me by a tech at Gigabyte.

2nd EDIT: Since posting this, I turned down my cpu multi to 8x and put ram @1:2, and started raising my HTT/FSB until it crapped out. I got it up to 290mHz. At 300mHz, it would post and boot and run Prime, however, CPU-Z and EasyTune both showed the "FSB" (HTT) at 290.8. I guess that's as high as she'll go- that's higher than any review I've seen for this board. I don't think it's the HTT limiting my memory...

I reset everything to default in the cmos and started over at the memory. I upped the Vdimm to +.1V , kept the ratio 1:1 , left timings stock at 2-3-2-5 and upped the HTT to 210 - no boot, whole thing crashed and now I can't get the thing to boot at any setting. It's like it won't recognize the H.D. - guess I'll be calling Gigabyte tomorrow. Please help guys

GSKILL TECH
12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
man i feel really sorry for you, i have no idea what is going on in here. the only thing i can really determine is to ask you to RMA to me and i will test it and see what is going on in there! i hope it is not the problem with mobo, cuz i can RMA you a good stick to you but i have no way can send you a mobo...
anyways..

TwoMunsters
12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Let me know where to send these sticks and you can test them. I'd love to know what's going on here, it's driving me crazy ! How long do you anticipate having them? It's the only ram I now have for the machine. Thanks.

GSKILL TECH
12-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Let me know where to send these sticks and you can test them. I'd love to know what's going on here, it's driving me crazy ! How long do you anticipate having them? It's the only ram I now have for the machine. Thanks.
where do u live?

TwoMunsters
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm in Pennsylvania.

GSKILL TECH
12-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm in Pennsylvania.
the thing is there is some days for turn around time + 1 day at most for RMA dep to test it

TwoMunsters
12-13-2005, 02:39 PM
the thing is there is some days for turn around time + 1 day at most for RMA dep to test it

That's fine, the quicker I get it to you, the quicker I get it back. Just let me know where and to whom to send it to. I'll send it out Priority Mail or FedEx.

GSKILL TECH
12-14-2005, 11:34 AM
That's fine, the quicker I get it to you, the quicker I get it back. Just let me know where and to whom to send it to. I'll send it out Priority Mail or FedEx.
YGPM

GSKILL TECH
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
here is the replacment policy!