PDA

View Full Version : I need a Gskill Tech stat!

Budwise
12-05-2005, 10:32 PM
I just got in a 2X512Mb kit from Newegg for a server build im doing for a local business.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231012

I got it all built today and formatted with Windows XP Pro. Early on when installing some simple programs like MS Office it would reboot randomly or give a memory dump. I thought the memory might need more volts as its rated 2.6-2.75 so i bumped it up to 2.7 from 2.6. It never made it to windows. Upon hitting the splash screen for a few moments it rebooted again. I put it back down to 2.6, and loosened up a few timings. I got back to windows fine and i started up a dual Prime95 Blend test using 350Mb in each instance as to not overload it. I came back in an hour later to find it was back at the login screen due to a reboot. I did try memtest86 for a loop and found no errors, but that was only one loop and memtest isnt known for being the end all of memory stability testing anyway. I checked Newegg's rma policy, and they dont do crosshipping and they take 2-5 days to process it and send out a return once then recieve the defective part. I had a bad OCZ kit a while back, and OCZ didnt hesitate to cross ship with a credit card number as collateral. Would Gskill be willing to put forth the same effort for their customers? Waiting another week and a half to get a replacement is not really an option. For tonight im gonna swap one of my OCZ sticks in there to make positive its the ram screwing things up. But to me its rather obvious to be the ram...

This server is:
DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D
Opteron 170
2X512Mb Gskill F1-3200PHU2-1GBZX
OCZ Powerstream 520
2X80GB Hitachi Deskstar's in RAID 1
XP90C

Budwise
12-05-2005, 10:48 PM
update:

One of them is definately bad. Just ran them one at a time in memtest and one went nuts with errors while the other runs fine. This is a relief and at the same time a pain in the butt.

GSKILL TECH
12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
i am sorry but we do not do cross shipping that is our company policy. if you have problem we love to help you to do the replacement.
if we offer cross shipping in future we will let our customer know about it

Budwise
12-05-2005, 11:16 PM
well, im just gonna have to return em to Newegg for a refund and buy from a different company then.