PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia and

bldegle2
01-16-2003, 09:28 AM
condensation problems.

i have been reading about people experiencing randoms shutdown problems with these units, so i thought i would pass along some tips to avoid that problem altogether.

you will need a couple of items, dielectric grease and one of those foam pads that some vendors use to protect the pins on a cpu for shipping, these pads are not used much anymore, i had a few laying around. they are perfect because of their thickness and ability to compress slightly.

so here goes, if this has been covered already, i apologise. this mod sorks for both the AMD and Intel setups.

first, cut the foam into a nice square, exactly the same size as the interior of the empty siff socket (yes, cpu is removed to do this). if your board has a socket thermister, drill a small hole in the foam so the thermister doesn't get mashed into the socket, now it has a nice cocoon. you will notice the foam sticks out higher than the ziff surface, this is good.

liberally cover the ziff surface with dielectric grease, put a nice coating on the foam pad too. now, insert the cpu, then, while applying good pressure in the middle of the CPU and COMPRESSING the foam center so the cpu is down tight, close the ziff lever and lock.

as far as using the heater in the rear motherboard cannister, not really necessary unless you are in a very high humidity situation (tahiti, for example), i installed an 80mm fan blowing on the cannister from the rightside panel, just in case, prolly not needed.

i live in the SF Bay area to give you an idea for the humidity thing.

i have pulled the chiller head numerous times, changed cpu's, reattached head and done all that i described while the motherboard was in the box, i find it easier/faster to do than fooling with a monster air device, bolt through heatsinks, out comes motherboard, baaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! oh, my point, i am checking for moisture everytime, so far, dry when opened, but condensation forms when the chiller head is removed and the surfaces hit outside air, this normal.

anyway, hopes this helps with anyone of you running one of these and having condensation probs, this will SOLVE the problem, unless you fubbared with the top plate seal to the motherboard to begin with.

clock on.

baldy:D