PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting fan speed...

GSE Anthony
01-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Ok, maybe someone can answer this for me.

System is a Abit KD7-E mobo, with an Athlon XP1800+ T-bred
Cooled by a SLK-800 with a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan.

I thought that I had the ability to change my fan speed if it was connected to the Fan 1 or 2 connector. The more I look the more I think I was wrong and that the system can just read the fan speed.

Do I need to get a fan controller for even this fan?

Cause man this thing is loud and with a system temp of 29 and a CPU temp of 31 I think I can afford to slow it down a bit.

Thanks!!!

Dissolved
01-15-2003, 10:08 PM
you can give it 7v. might be To low tho. but use the positive 12v line (yellow wire from the device plug) and the negitive 5v line (black wire next to the red wire in the device plug).

Other then that you can buy a reostat are a local electronic store, or you can buy a baybus, or one of those fan controllers.

Note: that fan draws alot of juice, so i will have to watch which reostat or fan controll device you get and make you you dont overload it.

KnightElite
01-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Just to clarify on what dissolved said, to get 7V you connect the red wire from the fan to the yellow wire on a connector on your PSU, and the black wire on the fan to the red wire on a PSU connector.

GSE Anthony
01-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks to both of you and thanks KnightElite for the slightly more detailed info. Not having ever done any mods like this you gave me what I needed to rewire and I am now running 7V instead.
Cooling is at 31 for the system and 32 for the CPU, so it has barely changed and I can hear my TV from my desk again!

Thanks again!:banana:

KnightElite
01-16-2003, 10:35 PM
You're very welcome. Always good to get lowered noise ;).

Dissolved
01-16-2003, 11:01 PM
well i knew the idea, just couldnt remember how lol.. i dont use under power.. i actually have my 80mm dealta at close to 13v :)