PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop

MTXR
11-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Hello, i do a lot of graphics editing, which i need to have both illustrator and photoshop open at the same time.

I have a dual xeon system, with 2 gigs of ram, my problem is...

That when i am switching to one program to the other, i seem to run into lag, from the switch. i have dual monitors so one is on each screen but when i click to switch i get lag..

Its about a 10 second lag. Does anyone know how to fix this? Do you think i need more ram? I have only 668mbs left available when i am working. And about 1.2gigs of virtual memory in use. Does anyone know how to make my system flow smooth?

System Specs.

Intel Xeon 1.6LV @ 3.0
2gigs DDR 3200
74GB Raptor
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
Windows XP SP2 x32

Disposibleteen
11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Is D2OL running on that dual Xeon rig? If so that is whats holding you back.

MTXR
11-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Nope no D2OL, no Distributed computing whatsoever.

Entity_Razer
12-02-2005, 03:43 AM
have you setup a scratch disk? It could be that if you did not set up a scratchdisk that the data is being read out of your HDD which can get kind of fragmented (your Pagefile also)

So I'd reccomend defragging your pagefile and then set up a scratchdisk to use as pagefile EXCLUSIVLY for photoshop. But use a good fast HDD for that and preferably set the pagefile at the front of the disk so it has better latencys to read/write

Also, I'm running a Dual Xeon 2.6Ghz(1.6Ghz C1's OC'd) , 1GB Ram and it is also laggy here. It runs decent but still....

I think it actually is an isseu with the Xeons themselves. You see, the newer Xeons have limited bandwidth (the bandwidth is shared by both CPU's so if they need to do a lot of writing etc at once all the bandwidth gets used up. So it slows down.
What is weird is that your Raptor should be fast enough for it to load at a decent rate?? What mhz is your memory at? 200? What timings?

I'm no wiz either. BTW ask at www.2cpu.com also, they know a lot about dual systems and have a good know how and intelligence about it all.