PDA

View Full Version : Vapochill modification (mounts)

Bravo
01-15-2003, 04:07 AM
Hullo alls :)

Picked up a Vapo Classic edition here in Aus for 500 AUD (280USD). Got it home, plugged it in, and it got cold. I was a little afraid of crushing my processor, as a friend of a friend here with a similiar unit, and has warned me it is not a 2 hour job to install.

Anyway, im a little bit annoyed at the mount mechanism. I was wondering if anybody has actually given a thought to removing the socket lug mount equipment, and machining a 50x 80mm copper plate to fit the evaporator head?

I can provide some pictures if anybody is interested :)

Btw, i cracked my prized AIUGB 2400. Serves me right :/

bowman1964
01-15-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Bravo
Hullo alls :)

Picked up a Vapo Classic edition here in Aus for 500 AUD (280USD). Got it home, plugged it in, and it got cold. I was a little afraid of crushing my processor, as a friend of a friend here with a similiar unit, and has warned me it is not a 2 hour job to install.

Anyway, im a little bit annoyed at the mount mechanism. I was wondering if anybody has actually given a thought to removing the socket lug mount equipment, and machining a 50x 80mm copper plate to fit the evaporator head?

I can provide some pictures if anybody is interested :)

Btw, i cracked my prized AIUGB 2400. Serves me right :/
yes i have already done that but havent finished yet with my main project taking priority at this moment.all you do is take a 40mm x 40mm copper plate machine the precise size of the cooling head untill it sets down in the plate. untill the vapo machined ring around the evaperator is flush in the block.this needs to be a precise fit.and they hand lap the evaperator to fit.use som artic silver and ,there you go.you will need to cover the plate with foam because the protective case around the vapo wont seal anymore.

Bravo
01-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi

http://bravo.ausgamers.com/vapo/evap.jpg

This is what i propose. An 80mm long, 50mm wide, 3mm thick copper plate, with a central circle cut out to accomodate the evaporator head. The red square shows where the evaporator would mount on the back of the plate.

bowman1964
01-16-2003, 03:00 AM
well to be honst i dont think that will work too well.i might be wrong though..:rolleyes:
you see the old vapo doesnt have much cooling capacity as it is.if you introduce a large piece of copper that goes beyond the insulation of the vapo cell you well be using alot of the cooling effecientcy of the evap head just in heat lose though the excess metal/i know it looks good but it takes alot of excess cooling btu's to cool the excess copper.and i dont think the vapo has it to give.
that is why i was making a base of only 40 x 40mm and .250 thick.that if machined properly will not stick outside of the cooling cell.

if you dont get the fit tight enough betwwen the evap face and the block in your design the evap will not be flat with the copper plate,and that would not be good at all.you would have only a small contact area touching the cpu core.

with my design even if something happened and the evap head got :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed or not flat to the plate.it wont effect the chip as bad.because i would at the very least have full contact between the cpu core and the plate.so worse case i would lose cooling but still keep the cpu core cold enought not to over heat any parts.
i am not sure but if i have time i will try to post a pic of my design so you will see what i mean.

Bravo
01-16-2003, 06:23 AM
Interesting, so the surface area of the evaporator is the limiting factor when using this "classic" unit?

Check your PM :)