PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons not to buy PS3

SewerSide
11-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Nice little article i was reading at http://360-hacks.com/ just thought you might wanna see.
If its old or already been posted, i'm sorry.

"10 Reasons Not to Buy The PS3

1. No Live! In fact, sony came out and recently announced that they're not even going to bother to build an answer to Xbox Live.

Sony, you can keep your ability to plug in 7 controllers. I'll take being able to play with 63 other players on live in a fps over 7 controllers any day of the week.

2. The 36.5 megabits per second blu ray drive that Sony is squeezing into the PS3.

The BD-Rom drive that's going to be used in the PS3 has a speed of 36.5 MBits per second. 36.5megaBITS per second, not megaBYTES. 8bits=1byte=4.5megaBYTES per second. http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

This is because the technology for the drives will still be in it's infancy when the ps3 is being launched.

That means in order to fill the 256MB cache (to load a decent sized race on GT4 let's say) will take about 56 seconds of waiting.

To fill the same 256MB cache on the xbox 360's 12x DVD drive read at 15.75MB/s (megabytes) = 15 seconds

I know you know your math.

If you want an idea of how long a minute is, try staring at a clock for a minute and see how bored you get.

I'm not going to stand for huge loading times next gen as well. Long load times are meant to be a thing of the past. But Sony is making sure that's not the case by insisting on using Blu Ray drives when the technology (and their read speeds) are still so early.

On top of this, Playstation 3 Blu Ray drive will cost Gamers $100+ per console. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25901

And within 1 year, once blu-ray movies actually start coming out, the same $100 would probably buy you a far faster 4x or 8x blu-ray player that functions a lot better (compare watching dvds on a standalone player vs. on the original ps2). And do you really think that, if blu-ray does come out on top, that the 360 won't release with a version that can play bluray versions as well? Legally, as long as MS pays the same small fees that other blu ray player manufacterers pay to use sony's tech, Sony can't stop MS from putting blu ray drives in their 360s. And by then, the drives will likely be a lot cheaper, and a lot faster than the once found on the launch PS3s.

3. Opting for 8 USB ports and multiple memory card readers over a HDD.

There's no reason to put in like 8 usb ports and all these freaking memory card reader and all these other ports that no one wants. We can buy a memory card adapter if we want.

We don't need 3 ethernet ports, one will be more than plenty. JUST INCLUDE 4 USB 2.O PORTS, 1 ETHERNET PORT, SUPPORT FOR SONY MEMORY STICK DUOS (since that's what psp uses and that's what makes Sony the most money) AND THE STUFF TO CONNECT TO ANALOG AND HDTVS.

USE THE MANUFACTURING COSTS YOU SAVE TO THROW IN A CHEAP 5GB HDD so developers can make games like Blinx or FFXI or use the HDD to reduce load times and stuff.

IF A SMALL HDD IS INCLUDED IN EVERY SYSTEM, EVERY DEVELOPER WILL USE IT TO REDUCE LOAD TIMES. Don't you guys want developers to use the hdd to reduce loadtimes, to make games like FFXI that require a HDD? wouldn't that be better than a bunch of useless ports that no one will use that you can just buy an adapter for if you really need?

SELL THE ADAPTER TO CONNECT OLD PS2 AND PS1 GAMES SEPERATELY FOR LIKE $10 AND YOU'LL MAKE ENOUGH TO COMPENSATE FOR THE HDD. Once we transfer all our old saves over to the HDD, we can just sell it on ebay or something and it's one less ugly port we have to look at.

HDD = Custom soundtracks, downloadable content, FFXI style mmorpgs, faster load times.

Multiple seperate Memory Card Readers Built in = Worthless

4. Sony disabling the ability to have LAN parties (without getting wired controllers) by insisting on using bluetooth controllers over Infrared ones.

"Bain admitted that the wireless signal could be interfered with by another nearby PlayStation 3 console and in those instances where many consoles would be close by, such as at a LAN party, it would be necessary to default to using wired controllers"

5. The Cell.

Not only is the cell processor going to jack up the price of the PS3 quite a bit. It's greatly bottlenecked by the 512 MBs of L2 Cache (the 360 has twice that much L2 Cache).

For all the hype about the cell. Guess what, the processor means jack when it comes to gaming. 3 3.2 ghz cores vs. 1 3.2 ghz core and 7 PPEs mean nothing. What matters for gaming is the GPU. And most reports (anandtech etc.) state that the 360's graphics card is almost a generation more advanced. This makes sense, ATI built the card from the ground up with technology that won't make it's way into PC cards for atleast an year or so. The NVIDEA card in the PS3 is identical to the card as what'll be available for the PC in a month or two. The only thing that the cpu will actually matter for is the AI. And AI is more depenedent on L2 cache (this is what ultimately determines the number of simultanous algorithms you can run at any one time) than on processing speed. And guess what, the 360's has twice the L2 cache of the PS3's Cell!

6. No requirement to make developers use 720p.

People make the ps3s 1080i sound like it's going to be standard. All that sony said was the the PS3 supports aka. can theoretically output 1080i.

Guess what, the original xbox "supports" 720p (identical to how the ps3 will "support" 1080i).

Want to guess how many xbox games actually came out offering 720p? I'll give you one guess.

Want to take a guess how many ps3 games wil actually offer 1080i (Or the even more useless dual monitor output) esp. considering how much extra work it'll be to render everything at that resolution for two monitors - as if the PS3's measily 512 L2 Cache isn't already enough of a bottleneck?

The cool thing about the 360 is that all the games are required to support 720p, and considering that's a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher resolution than dvds, it's more than enough.

7. Accessible cost

Blu-ray wont be cheap! Cell won't be cheap! Odds are, when the PS3 finally does come out, MS will lower the price a bit and the PS3 will cost a small fortune by comparison. The discs cost a small fortune to manufacture, don't expect games under $70 atleast for an year or so, and if then you consider the development costs who knows!

8.The Games.

Well this one is kind of a toss up. The Xbox 360's Kameo, Enchant Arm, Perfect Dark (drool), RE5, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, FPS, Racers (Forza, PGR), DoA etc. vs. GTA 4 and whatever sequels Sony has planned. What is true is the the 360s gaming library will get a one year headstart, and the PS3's will probably take a long time to catch up, if ever.

9. The Design.

Well this is personal opinion too. But who came with the brilliant idea to model it after a building anyways? Fire them and make it look next gen. My old Atari Jaguar looks less crappy. YOU CALL THAT A NEXT GEN DESIGN!? There is really no symmetry to it at all. Put the drive in the middle, get rid of the weird ridges and make it actually look smooth in the front and back and well. Then you have a nextgen looking consoles.

IT REALLY WOULDN'T TAKE MANY ALTERATIONS TO MAKE THE CONSOLE LOOK AWESOME, GET RID OF THE RIDGES SO ITS LOOKS PERFECTLY SMOOTH ON THE FRONT AND THE BACK, MOVE THE CD TRAY TO THE MIDDLE TO MAKE THE CONSOLE SYMMETRICAL. IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME.

10. Developer Hell.

No one has any experience working with the Cell. 7 PPEs, seriously, you think any developer is going to have any idea how to utilize them? Just making a game that uses dual processors takes a 50% larger budget. Meanwhile, developers are already raving about how much easier Microsoft's standards and XNA development kits are making it to develop 360 games. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture the discs too. Even small developers with just $100,000 can make their own game and sell it via Xbox Live marketplace.

And as already mentioned the L2 cache of the PS3's cell in miniscule. Most PC processors and the 360's processor have twice the cache. To make a processor with half the cache and expect it to be shared among 7 PPEs is just asking for developers to curse Sony day and night.

On top of all this, by the time the PS3 launches, developers will have had loads of experience of utilizing the 360. Expect the 2nd generation 360 games using much smaller budgets to blow the first generation PS3 games out of the water graphically. "

desolator
11-28-2005, 04:59 AM
So many of the points are abt the price, only cuz of diffrent factors

Imo, they all shud be categorized into 1, and that even just cuz they have mentioned it, i doubt the launch price would be much higher then the 360 anyway

Why is design there?

These points are supremely fan boish tbh, and i believe are to retaliate against the 10 reasons to wait for the ps3 posted by IGN?

-47-!
11-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Congrats, you got this off an Xbox 360 Fansite PS3 doesn't come out for another year so spreading all this nonsense this far in advance is quite histerical. Fact of the matter is PS3 is going to REAL next gen. 360 has yet to impress me.

8.The Games.

Well this one is kind of a toss up. The Xbox 360's Kameo, Enchant Arm, Perfect Dark (drool), RE5, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, FPS, Racers (Forza, PGR), DoA etc. vs. GTA 4 and whatever sequels Sony has planned. What is true is the the 360s gaming library will get a one year headstart, and the PS3's will probably take a long time to catch up, if ever.

That made me laugh and is probly the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

SewerSide
11-28-2005, 08:41 AM
I never said I agreed with that site, just showing you how stupid some people are :)

onewingedangel
11-28-2005, 09:12 AM
The majority of the points on that list are flawed from what we already have been told, and the others may be resolved by the time we have final hardware, and infrastructure.

trakslacker
11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Point 8 makes me smile. what is that list, the 360's whole launch line-up? That doesnt make them killer apps, or necessarily even good games for that matter(not passing judgement on the games themselves, as I've never played them).

For what its worth, here is a list of 10 reasons to WAIT for the PS3. ;).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

-47-!
11-29-2005, 09:24 AM
and to be perfectly honest yes all of the 360 games look nice but to be honest they all :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing blow Perfect Dark Zero couldn't be anymore boring.

Kadaj
11-29-2005, 09:56 AM
What matters for gaming is the GPU. And most reports (anandtech etc.) state that the 360's graphics card is almost a generation more advanced. This makes sense, ATI built the card from the ground up with technology that won't make it's way into PC cards for atleast an year or so. The NVIDEA card in the PS3 is identical to the card as what'll be available for the PC in a month or two.
;)
technically the XBOX's Geforce3/Geforce 4ti hybrid is 2generations ahead of the PS2's GPU engine(not to mention has twice the avaliable texture buffer), but as would most agree XBOX graphics are not much more advanced than PS2 graphics, infact some would agrue they're on the same level overall.

For all the hype about the cell. Guess what, the processor means jack when it comes to gaming. 3 3.2 ghz cores vs. 1 3.2 ghz core and 7 PPEs mean nothing
The only thing that the cpu will actually matter for is the AI. And AI is more depenedent on L2 cache (this is what ultimately determines the number of simultanous algorithms you can run at any one time) than on processing speed. And guess what, the 360's has twice the L2 cache of the PS3's Cell!

please excuse me whilest I laugh myself to death about someone that apparently knows very little of PS3 and XBOX360 design, or about processors for that matter.

Want to take a guess how many ps3 games wil actually offer 1080i (Or the even more useless dual monitor output) esp. considering how much extra work it'll be to render everything at that resolution for two monitors - as if the PS3's measily 512 L2 Cache isn't already enough of a bottleneck?

my guess is the vast majority will.
He's comparing a 5 year time span in TV technology. . . not too great an idea. There were not many 720p or 1080p resolution TV's for cheap back in 2001, there are now and they're in the plenty. Last I checked, Graphics texture buffer, not Level 2 cache was more imporant in higher resolution images. . . once again he attempts to talk on something he has no knowledge about.

onewingedangel
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
The cell has 512k l2 for its power pc based core plus 256k local memory for each SPE. The Xbox360 however has 1m l2 shared between 3 cores, thats 341k per core, so the cell actually has more l2 cache per powerpc core, so if l2 cache is going to be a bottleneck its going to be for the xbox360. But really games are designed so that cache size doesnt really matter as the developes have to program around the hardware, its not as though you are going to have a large number of cache miss on a console - the developers wouldn't allow it.

Ampz
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
1. No Live! In fact, sony came out and recently announced that they're not even going to bother to build an answer to Xbox Live.

Thats enough for me :)

Kadaj
11-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Thats enough for me :)
that dosent mean they won't have any on-line games. Sony just dosen't want to make it all centralized like microsoft has it.

trakslacker
11-29-2005, 10:30 PM
that dosent mean they won't have any on-line games. Sony just dosen't want to make it all centralized like microsoft has it.

right, and non-centralized = free. I'm all about free. ;)

zabomb4163
11-29-2005, 10:53 PM
for me the biggest reason for not buying a ps3 is the whole trojan virus thing on music cds. i'm sorry but i WILL NOT purchase products from a company that secretely monitors everything customers do. the thing reported back every song you played on your computer.

who knows what crap they are going to pull with the ps3. sony x'ed themselves from my "to-buy" list forever.

Kadaj
11-30-2005, 08:08 AM
for me the biggest reason for not buying a ps3 is the whole trojan virus thing on music cds. i'm sorry but i WILL NOT purchase products from a company that secretely monitors everything customers do. the thing reported back every song you played on your computer.

who knows what crap they are going to pull with the ps3. sony x'ed themselves from my "to-buy" list forever.
they themselves didn't create the rootkit program, they hired a british company which acutaly made the program for them, I'm not quite sure Sony realized what it acutaly was until it was too late.

-47-!
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM

Could be a good thing maybe what they meant by it is that they won't have a "Live service that charges people monthly" =)

Arkangyl
11-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Psh, PS3 and Revo arn't out yet. Hell, there has been little to no hands-on testing of those consoles. Launch title lineups are nowhere near solidified and both consoles also offer backwards compatability.

We know that each console will have a few hit titles. 360 has Halo and Gears of War, PS3 has Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry, Revolution has Mario and Zelda; and I know that's just the start. Point being all consoles will have titles. Also important to note is that the 360 doesn't have a whole lot out right now. By the time the 360 games get here the Revo will be about out.

So excuse me whilst I read all these '10 reason' lists and look at just one reason;

1) we don't freakin know what Revo and PS3 will be like so lets wait and see what comes out

perkam
11-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Revo all the way here...and I only need one reason...he wears a green hat :p:

Nice list, some work for Revolution as well, but you missed something...only 10 reasons not to buy a ps3...but more than 10 million waiting in japan and worldwide waiting to pay $$$ for this the day its released.

Perkam

mursaat
11-30-2005, 02:38 PM
The cool thing about the 360 is that all the games are required to support 720p, and considering that's a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher resolution than dvds, it's more than enough.http://www.360insider.net/articles/11-14-2005/project-gotham-racing-3-not-really-running-at-720p/

Seems MS had to lower the resolution and upscale to 720p because of the framedrop... not a good start if you ask me :stick:

2. The 36.5 megabits per second blu ray drive that Sony is squeezing into the PS3.Copypaste from blu-ray.com/faqs:

"According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps)." I can't believe Sony makes the PS3 non Blu-Ray movie compatible.

Doing the math thats 9MBps so 28'4 secs to fill the cache. Oh, and 256 / 15,75 = 16,25 secs, not 15.

BTW, does that mean HD-DVD movies will have less resolution? as listed in the faq, Data Transfer Rate (movie application) for Blu-Ray is 54Mbps and HD-DVD is 36,55Mbps. And the codecs are the same so... :confused:

And I won't comment about Games, Live!, Cell, Design :confused: and developer hell (I've read the PS2 is even more difficult, and I don't see any game developing shortage...)

zabomb4163
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
they themselves didn't create the rootkit program, they hired a british company which acutaly made the program for them, I'm not quite sure Sony realized what it acutaly was until it was too late.

doubtful. whose servers do you think the program was connecting to and sending the user spylogs?

en4cer
11-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm Patiently waiting for PS3 :D

nhenhophach
11-30-2005, 09:41 PM
With me. Have 1 reasons is not have money :p: (funny)

OpTiX
11-30-2005, 11:14 PM
i'll prob buy it 6 months after the release, just to see what cool games it comes out with

einCe
12-01-2005, 05:07 AM
the only reason i wnt a ps3 is for...what the hell is the name of that game again....killzone 3. but ONLY if it looks good, ill be picking up a 360 as soon as they have the bugs worked out

Stuperman
12-01-2005, 09:05 PM
That is the most fan boyish thing I've read in a while. it was actually funny.

nn_step
12-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Here a list for you
The top one reason why you shouldn't buy any Console:
My computer does a better job emulating than your Console Does period

Grave
12-02-2005, 08:25 AM
At first I would really want to see when it come out and then I will decide.

Grave
12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Here a list for you
The top one reason why you shouldn't buy any Console:
My computer does a better job emulating than your Console Does period

Yhea but u can't get every game u want with your PC.

zenzog
12-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Yhea but u can't get every game u want with your PC.

The intarwebs, sir. The intarwebs.

And anyways, that last point sounds like Gabe Newell talking.
I don't want to listen to Gabe Newell... he destroyed my game (CS).

Vapor
12-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Revo all the way here...and I only need one reason...he wears a green hat :p:

PerkamLuigi? :D

Shinuza
12-03-2005, 05:29 AM
This is the most useless bulls**** I ever read.

What's the point speaking about a console which is not out yet? Troll coming for a 360 fan-o-rama website.

Vapor
12-03-2005, 05:41 AM
11) Bill Gates is teh winnar!

OpTiX
12-03-2005, 11:20 AM
This is the most useless bulls**** I ever read.

What's the point speaking about a console which is not out yet? Troll coming for a 360 fan-o-rama website.

yeah i usuaally wait until the console comes out then decide, like with the ps2 i was suppose to buy one when they first game out but ended up dumping my cash on my computer :D

Shinuza
12-03-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah i usuaally wait until the console comes out then decide, like with the ps2 i was suppose to buy one when they first game out but ended up dumping my cash on my computer :D
:D

I just can stand people tight minded, they like a console, and then say others are sh*tty, with false evidences :slap:

Let's just see the sale's evolutions and then we'll can have an objective opinion

HermS
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Look at it this way:- FPS are always better on PC, RPG's are better on PC, Strategy games are better on PC... The only game types that are consistently better on Console are driving games and beat 'em ups and the only ones worth playing are Gran Turismo and Tekken imho, so there isn't much point in me getting an xbox is there. Having said that, Project Gotham for X360 looks interesting, but only for the ferraris.

Vapor
12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm actually considering getting an X360 for PGR3.....maybe ncaa football too (doesn't come in PC variant). I WILL get a PS3 solely for GT5 though, I know that already :D

HermS
12-06-2005, 08:49 AM
I WILL get a PS3 solely for GT5 though, I know that already :D

:cool: Amen brother!

AJF
12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
I will be picking up a 360 in the Spring once the kinks are worked out. I have no intention of buying a PS3.

And it is a very, very valid point that developers are finding it supremely easier to create games for the 360 than the PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the titles currently coming out for both the PS2 and Xbox (and occasionally the Gamecube, too) would shift to just the 360 due to the lower cost of creating the game (at least at first).

Only time will tell what is going to happen in the game war...

nn_step
12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
11) Bill Gates is teh winnar!
Try Bill Gates is the Devil and is using his power to gain the edge :fact:

Dave_Sz
02-25-2006, 08:04 AM
I will be picking up a 360 in the Spring once the kinks are worked out. I have no intention of buying a PS3.

And it is a very, very valid point that developers are finding it supremely easier to create games for the 360 than the PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the titles currently coming out for both the PS2 and Xbox (and occasionally the Gamecube, too) would shift to just the 360 due to the lower cost of creating the game (at least at first).

Only time will tell what is going to happen in the game war...

It's not a valid point cause it isn't true. From the 10+ interviews I've read with questions regarding developing games for the ps3 and x360, all of them said that with the newest ps3 dev kits, the development is almost just as easy on the ps3.

EvilCloudStrife
02-25-2006, 10:43 AM
i would never pay for xbox live anyways, so it would be worthless for me. I am more excited for modchips to come out for the systems, then the systems themselfs to be honest.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-27-2006, 09:56 PM
i would never pay for xbox live anyways, so it would be worthless for me.
I am on Direcway internet so live is dead to me. the lag is not worth the pain :mad: . Some day.:toast:

Breeze
03-23-2006, 02:16 AM
i would never pay for xbox live anyways, so it would be worthless for me. I am more excited for modchips to come out for the systems, then the systems themselfs to be honest.
Agreed.

Quest_7F
04-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Yo fvck next gen, i dont want to see some dude sweat better!!!

pheonix991
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Go ps3. Can't wait for the next guilty gear game and TEKKEN!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW, those points just made me want a ps3 more mostly kuz I'm a fanboy of the playstation and those were S****y points.

±Pink=FloYd±
04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
i dont see why people continue to buy sony consoles... they are over priced and the always perform poorly. i actually gave my ps2 away about 3 years ago.

HiJon89
04-06-2006, 08:35 PM
So Sony gave this British company a ton of money and told them to make a program that does whatever they want? It seems more likely to me that Sony hired them knowing full well what the intended use of the software would be.

trakslacker
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I WILL get a PS3 solely for GT5 though, I know that already :D

First off, holy thread resurrection!

Now, I can't agree more with that statement Vapor. I'm really happy to be graduating from college in a couple months, b/c now I'll actually have some money to buy toys with. :D

And yeah, GT5 is gonna rock my socks off.

Harshal
04-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry but I cant find one reason not to ... its like when you gotta have it, you have it... right??
I am already saving up for my PS3 in First week of Dec this year for 2 games (series, actually) I really really love... GT(3 & 4, I have completed more then 75%) and NFS. I also found SRS amazingly addictive :)

Durzel
04-07-2006, 04:12 AM
GT5 will be awesome.

And, I would take anything from an Xbox 360 Fansite with a pinch of salt. Just blatent scaremongering fanboyism. Sad really.

b1tterman
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
i prefer looking numbers in superPi being counted instead of driving cars on my tv:p

TSXmike
04-08-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm Patiently waiting for PS3 :D

same here...

once a PS fan... always a PS fan

Micketh
04-20-2006, 09:07 AM
i wont buy it just because its a console practically all console games are out on pc anyway. Not just that i hate using a Joypad for all games keyboard and mouse.

comrad
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Gran Turismo is the best game ever... I have Gt, GT2, GT3, Gt4 and GT5 will be mine, so yes I will have PS3 when it comes out.

gohan773
04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Not much mention of the Revolution. With the current popularity of the DS Lite, the new Revo controller and downloadable back library it truely will be better than the other two "computer wannabes" :p:

trakslacker
04-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Gran Turismo is the best game ever... I have Gt, GT2, GT3, Gt4 and GT5 will be mine, so yes I will have PS3 when it comes out.

same here. I have all the GTs, and Gran Turismo is the biggest reason I will get a PS3 over an X360.