PDA

View Full Version : How to install the AMD X2 drivers, hotfix, the correct way.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

xhausted
03-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Big Thanks GAR !!
Absolutely better performance for my X2 3800+
and very clear and easy steps u provided

skycool
03-16-2006, 01:14 PM
before i update the hotfix , my cs-s is ok , not smooth and lag. but about 3 days ago steam update itself and new problem comes. i get in task manager and find one core is about 5% useage the other is 100%. they are not average again . i do not know how to fix it . please help me ,thanks.

DarkSun
03-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Can some1 plz tell me if i dont use C'n'Q what should i install ?

I installed all what it says on the frist page , but as i read the thread some1 said the regedit is not necesary if dont use C'n'Q.

So should i disable the reg tweak?

tinuz97
03-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Well it helped me out :toast:
I got after a half hour slow downs in battlefield 2,now it runs like a smooth silk thingy lol.
Thx for this nice info m8 :toast:
@ darksun: i dont use C'n'Q and still had slow downs in games after a half hour,so yes it is possible you get slow downs,even if you dont use C'n'Q

GAR
03-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I dont think any of us use CnQ, the hotfix fixes issues with or wihout CnQ, mostly without, fix is a must for dual core users.

Titus
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
sorry if this has been asked before but....how can I tell if the AMD driver is already installed on my system or not?...is there a way of checking?

also same with the MS hotfix...if I do not have the /usepmtimer in my boot.ini does this mean that I do not have the hotfix installed? and if I have it then it means that I do have it installed?

are they both necessary for gamers only or for general PC usage as well?

Thanks

GAR
03-18-2006, 03:38 PM
sorry if this has been asked before but....how can I tell if the AMD driver is already installed on my system or not?...is there a way of checking?

also same with the MS hotfix...if I do not have the /usepmtimer in my boot.ini does this mean that I do not have the hotfix installed? and if I have it then it means that I do have it installed?

are they both necessary for gamers only or for general PC usage as well?

Thanks

Hey, you can go into device manager and check your cpu driver, if its by MS then you dont have the amd driver installed, if the provider is AMD then you obviously do, as for the /usepmtimer if you dont have it then the HOTFIX is not installed, just follow the instructions on page one and you should be fine, also this fix is for both, general pc usage and gaming.

Titus
03-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey, you can go into device manager and check your cpu driver, if its by MS then you dont have the amd driver installed, if the provider is AMD then you obviously do

when I checked my CPU driver version it says it is from AMD so I thought I was all set...but then I looked at the driver version and it was listed as version 1.2.2.0 from 10/26/04...but on the AMD site they list the dual core hotfix version number as being 1.2.2.2 from May 2005...

so should I leave it alone or download the new 1.2.2.2 driver?

GAR
03-18-2006, 08:04 PM
when I checked my CPU driver version it says it is from AMD so I thought I was all set...but then I looked at the driver version and it was listed as version 1.2.2.0 from 10/26/04...but on the AMD site they list the dual core hotfix version number as being 1.2.2.2 from May 2005...

so should I leave it alone or download the new 1.2.2.2 driver?

Yeah mine is the same thing, and its the one from may 2005, so your fine with that driver.

neoman
03-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey guys i have a quick question. My 3700+ is showing that it has Toledo core + my CPU steping is same as X2 3800+ CPUs have. CCBWE 0541XPMW
Should i try X2 drivers and hope getting Dualcore working?

GAR
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey guys i have a quick question. My 3700+ is showing that it has Toledo core + my CPU steping is same as X2 3800+ CPUs have. CCBWE 0541XPMW
Should i try X2 drivers and hope getting Dualcore working?

LOL.....driver will not enable dual core to work, if you have dual core in task manager you will have two boxes for your cpu traffic, and thats wierd how u got a 3700+ toledo, can u take a screen shot of cpu-z?

alpha0ne
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I have spend the last day trying to track down a bug that caused my rig to BSOD every time I started my Logitech profiler program needed to use with my MOMO wheel (without the profiler program there is no force feedback)

It was due to the MS hotfix/hack : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Without the reg hack the Logitech proggy works and no blue screen

neoman
03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
LOL.....driver will not enable dual core to work, if you have dual core in task manager you will have two boxes for your cpu traffic, and thats wierd how u got a 3700+ toledo, can u take a screen shot of cpu-z?

CPUZ does not find my CPU codename ,tehnology , revision

kenofstephen
03-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I dont think any of us use CnQ, the hotfix fixes issues with or wihout CnQ, mostly without, fix is a must for dual core users.

alrite, I'll try and see......does it apply for DC Opty?

GAR
03-22-2006, 06:19 PM
alrite, I'll try and see......does it apply for DC Opty?

YUP, but you have to download different drivers.

revenant
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
You have to DL different drivers for an Opteron? I thought they were the same cores?

EDIT: got likage? :)

Jodiuh
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Good question. I thought they were the same...so does AMD.

alpha0ne
03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Good question. I thought they were the same...so does AMD.

Thats what I thought too :confused:

The only diff are 32 and 64bit drivers

GAR
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html

thats the link to the OPTY's drivers, but it doesnt say weather is single or dual core.

ValkyrieLenneth
03-27-2006, 05:16 PM
From the link, i think they're all the same ;)

STickGuy
04-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Did anyone find that there idle temps went up 2-3 degree's after this fix

GAR
04-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Did anyone find that there idle temps went up 2-3 degree's after this fix

Nope, mine stayed the same, that would be a first?

revlimiter9000
04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks Garnik. Check your PM.

W3p
04-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Hi. Im new to this forum, so plz be patient with me :P

I have always had some problems with lagging, both ingame and even when pictures are gliding over my screen. What happens is that the moving picture (or everything you see while playing a game) laggs every second. It kinda "jumps" forward every second. That specs (resolution, details etc.) im playing witih in games doesnt have any effect on the lagging itself.

My computer specs, are as follows:

CPU: Athlon 64 4200+ x2
G. card: XFX Geforce 7800gtx
MB: Asus A8N-sli premium
Mem: 2x Corsair twinx1024-3200xl
Power: Hiper Strømf. atx 580W

Ive tried the hotfix. It didnt help.. What is my problem??

GAR
04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi. Im new to this forum, so plz be patient with me :P

I have always had some problems with lagging, both ingame and even when pictures are gliding over my screen. What happens is that the moving picture (or everything you see while playing a game) laggs every second. It kinda "jumps" forward every second. That specs (resolution, details etc.) im playing witih in games doesnt have any effect on the lagging itself.

My computer specs, are as follows:

CPU: Athlon 64 4200+ x2
G. card: XFX Geforce 7800gtx
MB: Asus A8N-sli premium
Mem: 2x Corsair twinx1024-3200xl
Power: Hiper Strømf. atx 580W

Ive tried the hotfix. It didnt help.. What is my problem??

Do the hotfix and the drivers, as instructed, and make sure you have the newest drivers installed for ur video card, if you do all this and you still have lag, try reinstalling windows, if still gettig lag, then i assume you might have a problem with your hardware.

W3p
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
i have completed the hotfix, and installed new drivers. Windows is also reinstalled, not long ago.

So you think there is something wrong with my HW? Even tho videos and "google earth" (when gliding over the world and stuff) works perfectly? Just cant understand what does all this.. :s BTW, i did the hotfix, but didnt really see any differences with the performance...

Other clues?

I will try to reinstall windows in a few days. Just not yet :p

Badge56
04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
W3P

I highly doubt that its hardware. I highly suspect you did not install all the motherboard drivers and newest Nvidia drivers.... correctly..

1- Go to the Asus site and get the latest drivers for your motherboard. Chipset drivers. Install them. Reboot as needed.
2- Go to the NVidia site and get the latest Vid card drivers and install them.
3- Install the AMD dirvers and the MS hotfix.

You should be fine.
Check your BIOS and make sure all is as it should be.

W3p
04-05-2006, 01:04 PM
But its said on the Nvidia site, that its recomended that i uninstall the prev. drivers before i install the new ones; is this for real, or just typical "to be on the safe side" kinda thing? I will try this tomorrow, as i live in Norway, and its getting kinda late :p thanks btw!

TVFREAKAZOID
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey, i decided to make this thread since i was once in the need of some answers i had as to why my amd x2 was having problems with gaming, speed ups slow downs, sound familiar?....well im going to show you step by step how to install the drivers, hotfix, and several other things that need to be done. People often say that the amd drivers are used for Cool and Quiet only, that is not true, i speak from expierience as i have had the amd X2 cpu's since the first week of launch and have played around with them for 5 months already. Just follow these steps to get the best stability and performance from your amd x2 cpu.

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

2 - read this website and downlaod the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.
8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, hopefully this will be a help to alot of people.

OK, since some people switch to single core after having issues with dual core, here is a simple way to remove the Hotfix and drivers.

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Go into your boot.ini and remove /usepmtimer, and your done.

I noticed noexecute=optin/fastdect/ is oppisite of what I have. Here's mine: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer??
Is this just a mistake on your part or is something wrong with mine???

Second how do you know if your comp is running better with this fix?

Last questions,sorry for all these questions i'm a newbie and I just got my new pc and i'm not really technical with pc's at all. I know the basics here and there. well I pretty much followed the directions you provided for us. This is what I did: I install the amd patch first, restarted, then install the hot fix, then restarted it, then I install the registry key that some one already provided a zip file to make it easier on us (BIG thanks to NEED.FOR.MHZ that did that for us)? Is that it? do I need to restart my computer again after insatlling the registry key? And of course thanks to you for doing this for us. I had my new pc for couple of months and I never knew about this. :woot:

GAR
04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I noticed noexecute=optin/fastdect/ is oppisite of what I have. Here's mine: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer??
Is this just a mistake on your part or is something wrong with mine???

Second how do you know if your comp is running better with this fix?

Last questions,sorry for all these questions i'm a newbie and I just got my new pc and i'm not really technical with pc's at all. I know the basics here and there. well I pretty much followed the directions you provided for us. This is what I did: I install the amd patch first, restarted, then install the hot fix, then restarted it, then I install the registry key that some one already provided a zip file to make it easier on us (BIG thanks to NEED.FOR.MHZ that did that for us)? Is that it? do I need to restart my computer again after insatlling the registry key? And of course thanks to you for doing this for us. I had my new pc for couple of months and I never knew about this. :woot:

Hey, everyones boot.ini is unique to their own settings, also restarting is a good thing after installing anything but is not required for a registry entry, and your computer should be stutter free, thats how you should know if its working or not, also if you didnt have any issues it might be a little hard for you to notice any difference, take care.

TVFREAKAZOID
04-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I am certainly no expert but I would think so, heres a copy of my the Pro version if its any help :)

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Wow your is different from mine. "noexecute=alwaysoff" mine is:"noexecute=OptIn" and your is "alwaysoff???

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

muzzakus
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm also a n00b as they call it. Havn't upgraded my PC for years.

Anyway, I just got a AMD64x2 4200 and I'm totally shocked I need to do all this clowning around to get it to work properly. Thank god for the Xbox/360!

If you'll excuse me, because I'm all n00b I need to ask a few Q's to clear the fog out of my mind after reading all this steep learning curve type of stuff.

Q1. Why isn't this part of the regular windows update? Clearly it is a huge issue for all owners of these relatively new - but not that NEW processors. Surley this must be a major overhead for computer sellers & support staff needing to deal with many disgruntled owners. Further if it does become an automatic fix, how will we know ?!?

Q2. Does the Hotfix still load balance the cores even for single threaded processes? Or does each single threaded process stick to one core after this fix?

Q3. So is it a 0 or a 1 in the reg setting to enable the Hotfix? There seems to be conflicting reports here.

Q4. Do I keep the Cool&Cozy setting enabled in the bios, disabled, or it really matters not ?!?

Q5. Can I do a definitive test on the computer that it is indeed now working correctly without the need of games? I don't play games on PC, only on Xbox. I do utilise the pc for photographic & video work, as well as the eventual running of virtual machines.

Cheers,
And much apreciate your patience,
Muz

Luiggy
04-06-2006, 01:47 AM
i need some help here, little lost. i just installed the (AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 ) and that HotFix. but when i go to my taskbar it still dont display my two cpu. did i forgot to install a driver? or what i'm doing wrong?

raz1337
04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay, a week ago, I upgraded to an Asus A8N-SLI, Athlon X2 3800+, and a BFG Geforce 7900GT.

Other than that I'm using:

Maxtor 100G SATA
Ultra 550W PSU
2x512mb Corsair XMS PC3200

I had an issue when I first booted into the WinXP cd, when I got to the "Press enter to continue the installation, press R to repair an installation" screen, the screen froze. I got around this by going to the SCSI/RAID screen, then going to that screen I froze at. I installed XP and everything was fine.

I unplugged and replugged in the cables for my SATA drive, and then booted into the winxp cd for the heck of it, and the freeze I had before didn't happen again.

I got into Windows, installed World of Warcraft, which I play religously. I noticed my character was skipping when rotating it, and I found in the WoW forums there was an issue with dual core processors and the game, that other people were experiencing slight choppiness ingame, the character stuttering, etc.

I wanted to try a different game to see if this was happening in other games, or just wow, so I went ahead and started up Half-life 2. I was noticing the half second freezes at times, then I got to the teleporter part at the very beginning, and during that sequence my screen froze and the sound stuttered, I alt tabbed out, then back in, which took ~10 seconds, and the freeze/stuttering stopped.

This led to this forum, someone posted the hotfix, that evidently helped a ton of people. I was noticing I had some choppiness in wow, my screen would freeze for a second periodically, so I installed the AMD Dual Core driver, then the hotfix. This did not help me, I still have these same issues. Now I'm noticing at times when I alt tab into, not OUT of, wow, my screen freezes and stutters for 7-8 seconds, then goes into the game.

I'm really at a loss what's going on now, I'm not sure whether this is a hardware malfunction, or something going on elsewhere I'm unaware of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zyprex^^
04-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi! I have to ask you guys about something. How do i backup my registry?

ChkDsk
04-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Hi! I have to ask you guys about something. How do i backup my registry?

Start
Run
regedit [enter]
File
Export...
Give it a name and click save... :toast:

TVFREAKAZOID
04-07-2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html

thats the link to the OPTY's drivers, but it doesnt say weather is single or dual core.

Actually it does say for single or dual core: here I copied and pasted it for others:

AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2. - allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports single core and dual core Opteron processors on Windows 32 bit OS.

I hope this is the right driver I downloaded for my patch. Yo Garrett is this the right driver??? Just want to make sure.

MaStA
04-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I have an Opteron 165. Do I need to do the hotfix? I'm pretty lost with the whole AMD driver thing as well. Say I just put together a new dual core system. From the beginning what do I need to do to make my dual core function to its peak ability?

Thanks,
Jared

GAR
04-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I have an Opteron 165. Do I need to do the hotfix? I'm pretty lost with the whole AMD driver thing as well. Say I just put together a new dual core system. From the beginning what do I need to do to make my dual core function to its peak ability?

Thanks,
Jared

Follow the instructions on page 1 and you should be good to go.

GAR
04-08-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm also a n00b as they call it. Havn't upgraded my PC for years.

Anyway, I just got a AMD64x2 4200 and I'm totally shocked I need to do all this clowning around to get it to work properly. Thank god for the Xbox/360!

If you'll excuse me, because I'm all n00b I need to ask a few Q's to clear the fog out of my mind after reading all this steep learning curve type of stuff.

Q1. Why isn't this part of the regular windows update? Clearly it is a huge issue for all owners of these relatively new - but not that NEW processors. Surley this must be a major overhead for computer sellers & support staff needing to deal with many disgruntled owners. Further if it does become an automatic fix, how will we know ?!?

Q2. Does the Hotfix still load balance the cores even for single threaded processes? Or does each single threaded process stick to one core after this fix?

Q3. So is it a 0 or a 1 in the reg setting to enable the Hotfix? There seems to be conflicting reports here.

Q4. Do I keep the Cool&Cozy setting enabled in the bios, disabled, or it really matters not ?!?

Q5. Can I do a definitive test on the computer that it is indeed now working correctly without the need of games? I don't play games on PC, only on Xbox. I do utilise the pc for photographic & video work, as well as the eventual running of virtual machines.

Cheers,
And much apreciate your patience,
Muz

if you dont play games you might not even notice anything is wrong, do the hotfix and drivers for insured stability, cool and quiet is useless, and it cant be an auto update because not everyone has dual core, and there is really no way to find out if all is good or not even after the fix, just use your pc and see if you get any strange problems, if not then your fine, good luck bud.

GAR
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
i need some help here, little lost. i just installed the (AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 ) and that HotFix. but when i go to my taskbar it still dont display my two cpu. did i forgot to install a driver? or what i'm doing wrong?

Drivers do not enable or disable cores, that is a hardware issue, good luck.

MaStA
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Drivers do not enable or disable cores, that is a hardware issue, good luck.

Some people have said on other forums that the newest AMD driver has the hotfix. Is this not true?

Jared

MaStA
04-08-2006, 03:43 PM
if you dont play games you might not even notice anything is wrong, do the hotfix and drivers for insured stability, cool and quiet is useless, and it cant be an auto update because not everyone has dual core, and there is really no way to find out if all is good or not even after the fix, just use your pc and see if you get any strange problems, if not then your fine, good luck bud.

Microsoft said in the hotfix that they will have this problem fixed in the next service pack. You may not call it an auto update, but it surely will be included in the next service pack. Single core or not they will be able to have it incorporated in one service pack for all.

Jared

MaStA
04-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Well I installed the AMD driver, hotfix, and made the regedit changes. That one line was already in my boot.ini file. Everything seems the same, but oh well at least I know it is running how it should now.

Thanks,
Jared

MoTiG
04-09-2006, 03:40 AM
i did it the way GAR wrote on the first post, but my UT2004 keeps showing "avg fps = 20" while "current fps=128" and it starts to stutter after some minute of playing.
I have not only to close ut2004, but to restart the rig to get rid of it.

I have an X2 3800+, DFI nF4-SLiD with 623.3 bios, and XP PRO italian.

I found an italian dualcore hotfix, but maybe there is an updated version of this and i didn't see it.

Have anyone of you found a specific ITALIAN dualcore hotfix?

GAR
04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
i did it the way GAR wrote on the first post, but my UT2004 keeps showing "avg fps = 20" while "current fps=128" and it starts to stutter after some minute of playing.
I have not only to close ut2004, but to restart the rig to get rid of it.

I have an X2 3800+, DFI nF4-SLiD with 623.3 bios, and XP PRO italian.

I found an italian dualcore hotfix, but maybe there is an updated version of this and i didn't see it.

Have anyone of you found a specific ITALIAN dualcore hotfix?

I think the fix is for english windows xp only, try setting the game to only 1 core, should fix your problem, good luck.

Zyprex^^
04-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Omg, my winxp version has a different language than the hotfix. What do I do?!

GAR
04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Omg, my winxp version has a different language than the hotfix. What do I do?!

Email MS, see if they have a hotfix for your lang, if not then you will have to wait for service pack 3, as this fix will be included in the update, good luck man.

Zyprex^^
04-10-2006, 02:07 AM
Email MS, see if they have a hotfix for your lang, if not then you will have to wait for service pack 3, as this fix will be included in the update, good luck man.
MS means microsoft?:rolleyes: Thank you for the help:)

SpRoX
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Can anyone give a link to the exact location of the DC hotfix on ms.com, plz? :)

MaStA
04-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Can anyone give a link to the exact location of the DC hotfix on ms.com, plz? :)

I don't think Microsoft hosted the hotfix since they only would send it to people who called in. There is a registry fix that you must do along with the hotfix exe.

Jared

SpRoX
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't think Microsoft hosted the hotfix since they only would send it to people who called in. There is a registry fix that you must do along with the hotfix exe.

Jared

Cr*p! You would'nt by any chance happen to know which email adr. to use?

MaStA
04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Cr*p! You would'nt by any chance happen to know which email adr. to use?

Why don't you just download the file from one of the links provided...

Don't tell me you don't trust it. If you don't then that is your own problem. Thousands of people have used the same file and it is legit.

BTW I don't have a e-mail or phone number because I followed the simple instructions in the first post.

Jared

SpRoX
04-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Why don't you just download the file from one of the links provided...

Don't tell me you don't trust it. If you don't then that is your own problem. Thousands of people have used the same file and it is legit.

BTW I don't have a e-mail or phone number because I followed the simple instructions in the first post.

Jared

I've got the file already! But I'm using Danish Windows and therefore can't use the English version...

R4Z0R
04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
The driver doesn't want to install for some reason...
It says i have an unsupported version of windows, since when is WXP Pro SP2 unsupported?
Anyone know how to force install?
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9201/whynoinstall3gl.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whynoinstall3gl.jpg)

muzzakus
04-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Howdy,

This is a side issue. I have searched high and low, and have not seen any relevant information. I dont know where else to ask....

Is there any way to enable v-sync for the windows dektop. I don't mean game vsync such as in Direct3d or OpenGL. I mean pure windows desktop. There is no reason why with todays super cpu's and fancy gfx cards we need to see ugly tearing when draggging windows around. In my oppinion what makes MacOS so nice is that the interface is supersmooth, thanks to vsync.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Muz

MaStA
04-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Howdy,

This is a side issue. I have searched high and low, and have not seen any relevant information. I dont know where else to ask....

Is there any way to enable v-sync for the windows dektop. I don't mean game vsync such as in Direct3d or OpenGL. I mean pure windows desktop. There is no reason why with todays super cpu's and fancy gfx cards we need to see ugly tearing when draggging windows around. In my oppinion what makes MacOS so nice is that the interface is supersmooth, thanks to vsync.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Muz

So your not running Windows?

raz1337
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I found out a part of my video card is scraped, where a silver square meets a circuit on the bottom right of the fan side, think that might be causing the problems I'm having and might be why installing the hotfix fixed everyone's problems but mine. Sigh.

MaStA
04-14-2006, 03:16 AM
I found out a part of my video card is scraped, where a silver square meets a circuit on the bottom right of the fan side, think that might be causing the problems I'm having and might be why installing the hotfix fixed everyone's problems but mine. Sigh.

Can you get a picture?

Deus Falsus
04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I installed this but I haven't experienced any performance increase in 3dmark06 or any other app. I followed the steps in page 1. It wasn't mentioned on page 1 wheter you should restart after each step. I restarted after each step because it was prompted by the driver installation and the hotfix installation thereafter. Perhaps I did something wrong? Perhaps the opteron driver has a different effect than the x2 driver? Well the fact remains that my cpu WAS working fine to begin with as you can see in my sig, I simply installed the patch believing it would get me a better 3dmark06 cpu score.

KingRoLo
04-16-2006, 04:00 AM

i dont use CnQ either, but are you saying that to fix games you should only install the MS patch and not the AMD driver? because to my understand the AMD driver listed in your link on the AMD site is to enable CnQ because from this statement "Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need"

:confused:

Zeus...
04-16-2006, 04:49 AM
I use CrystalCPUID (link in sig) to control the 'CnQ' that way u can control the xCPU and the Vcpu and limit the CPU mutli too - so 'CnQ' with an overclock - best of both 'worlds' beeen using it for about 4weeks and not issues just a cool CPU and Mobo:cool:

KingRoLo
04-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Well i gave it a go and now HL2 plays like silky smooth butter off a knife, the patch definetely worked because before it was giving me this intermitant stuttering and performance was not as good as it should of been. Im yet to try other games but im extremely pleased with this patch so far :thumbsup:

GAR
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
i dont use CnQ either, but are you saying that to fix games you should only install the MS patch and not the AMD driver? because to my understand the AMD driver listed in your link on the AMD site is to enable CnQ because from this statement "Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need"

We have been throught this like 10 times dude, the drivers for dual core are a must, not only for CnQ, if it wasnt needed it wouldnt be in the instructions......

Mutemedia
04-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I've read through the sticky and been snooping around at dfi-street and need to post here as I'm stuck...

My issue is only one core (0) of my X2 4200 is recognized by programs capable of doing that (ie, cpu-z, amd cpuinfo, 3dmark, superpi, etc) and I am unable to utilize, set affinity to, or do ANYTHING with core 1. It has been like this as long as I can remember (built in 2/06), i just never considered that it was a problem as i didnt think the processor would boot with a bum core.

Heres where I'm at:
- In DM under computers I have 'Advanced Config n Power Interface (acpi) PC' only
- In DM under processors I have 2 instances for the X2 4200 processors both exactly the same (not sure if they are differentiated somewhere as core 0 core1) both show the updated 1.2.2.0 drivers
- In Task Mgr i'm only able to graph for one cpu
- Everywhere where the cpu is supposed to be listed appropriately (ie, AMD Athlon X2 DC 4200+) it is but whenever the cores can be diff'd I only show core 0

Thus far I have:
- Returned to optimal settings in bios (non-oc'ed)
- dont use cnq
- installed drivers and fix from p.1 and edited reg (this process changed nothing for me that I can tell good or bad)
- uninstalled processors from DM and rebooted (fixed the post info to display the proc correctly, before it was only saying 'core0: ddr400, mem timings, blah)
- tried installing amd dashboard demo and get 'Failed initializing, make sure Amdtoolsdriver is installed and this system has a PSS or PST object'
anyone know what that means?

am about to flash the bios to 6/23 version but doubt that will help as 11/15 basically is 6/23

btw i'm on win xp mce sp2 and besides the fact that i can only run on one core, the system has been very stable even on good oc's (was at 245*11 2700mhz @1.56v prime stable earlier this week)

please throw any ideas, suggestions at me! worst case is reinstall windows or RMA if that dosent work but I have win xp so custom'ed now i really dont wanna lose it all by reinstalling... & i dont have a spare hd to test on

Micketh
04-19-2006, 01:29 PM
cheers used these drviers worked a treat my cs:s was crashing all the time before i used these.

Mutemedia
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM
FYI as an update to my issue above... (posting this for others who might have this issue arise)

The reason only one core of the Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor was recognized in windows programs was due to the ACPI process and the wrong drivers being loaded on windows install. If you have a dual core processor, you have to have the acpi multiprocessor pc drivers loaded for windows to be able to recognize and use both cores. If you dont or only have the ACPI process only (look in device manager and open computer tree to see these) then you wont be using both cores, even though you may have 2 instances for the processor in device manager. To tell if windows is using both of your cores, you can use a number of programs that identify both cores on a processor (cpu-z, mark3d, amd cpuinfo, etc) or open task manager and see if you can display 2 graphs (one graph per cpu).
The solution for this problem is a reinstall of windows. You cannot add the missing .dll files after an installation and get it to function properly.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us
You must reinstall windows and do a forced hardware abstraction layer as detailed in the link below. When the install asks you to press F6 to install any disk drivers or F2 for auto system recovery, press F5 and it will then let you manually choose the multiprocessor drivers that you need (use up arrow to view all of the selections).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340/
After install and windows has loaded, you can then begin the amd driver and hotfix process described at the beginning of this thread.
This was quite a time consuming process for me as there is not a lot of documentation on this issue in the forums. So if you find yourself having the same issue, just know that you must do a reinstall of windows. I learned the hard way that you cant soft install the .dll's to make this work properly.

harbin
04-23-2006, 10:03 AM
We have been throught this like 10 times dude, the drivers for dual core are a must, not only for CnQ, if it wasnt needed it wouldnt be in the instructions......
Is this driver a must for Opty Dual core?

GAR
04-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Is this driver a must for Opty Dual core?

Yup.

psupef2k
04-25-2006, 07:18 PM
going to apply this as soon as my 320GB HD is done formatting. :)

XFX
04-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey GAR,

Just thought I'd post this relpy (been meaning to for the last week).

I reciently built a new system for myself and was looking forward to playing
BF2 and CoD2 with a sweet system and nice graphics. I was disapointed when I loaded BF2 and the game was jerking and after an hour trying to play it, the game would seem to slow down (like a lag response to movement).

I tried an old Half Life game an it would be pretty ordinary also. While playing the game it would suddenly go into a bionic sprint movement than return to normal.

All this gave me the Sh*@!. I found this post and decided to give it a go. After following the instructions and loading the files BAMMM BF2 and CoD2 never looked sweeter and windows was running like a charm.

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. It helped me greatly.

Cheers
Phil

psupef2k
04-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Ok, now I am a bit confused. My processor driver shows up as 1.2.2.0 already. Does that mean I don't need to install the driver and hotfix? Actually, the /usepmtimer switch is also already there in the boot.ini file. I guess I don't need to do this after all?

HolgerDK
04-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Danish version of the hotfix here (http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl33698/WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-DAN.exe)

psupef2k
04-26-2006, 05:04 AM
I also noticed that in my control panel it says Athlon 64 Processor Driver, but doesn't say dual core or opteron, so should I install the X2 or Opteron driver?

As far as I can tell my machine sees both cores. I get 2 graphs in task manager and there are 2 instances in device manager, so I am still unsure. Can anyone clarify?

psupef2k
04-26-2006, 06:35 AM
W3P

I highly doubt that its hardware. I highly suspect you did not install all the motherboard drivers and newest Nvidia drivers.... correctly..

1- Go to the Asus site and get the latest drivers for your motherboard. Chipset drivers. Install them. Reboot as needed.
2- Go to the NVidia site and get the latest Vid card drivers and install them.
3- Install the AMD dirvers and the MS hotfix.

You should be fine.
Check your BIOS and make sure all is as it should be.
Which AMD drivers did you install since you have an opteron?

AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.

OR

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2

I think windows automatically installed the regular Athlon 64 driver, so I will need to update to one of these. The question remains, which?

GAR
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Which AMD drivers did you install since you have an opteron?

AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.

OR

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2

I think windows automatically installed the regular Athlon 64 driver, so I will need to update to one of these. The question remains, which?

The Opteron driver is for SINGLE and DUAL CORE cpu's, so install the OPTERON driver not the X2.

GAR
04-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok, now I am a bit confused. My processor driver shows up as 1.2.2.0 already. Does that mean I don't need to install the driver and hotfix? Actually, the /usepmtimer switch is also already there in the boot.ini file. I guess I don't need to do this after all?

Mine also says 1.2.2.0 and it says AMD X2 dual core, i guess the amd driver is really version 1.2.2.0 for dual core.

psupef2k
04-26-2006, 08:36 AM
The Opteron driver is for SINGLE and DUAL CORE cpu's, so install the OPTERON driver not the X2.
Should I uninstall the existing driver in my Add/remove programs first that reads "Athlon 64 Processor Driver"?

Titus
04-26-2006, 10:37 AM
I just installed XP Pro 64 bit and the MS hotfix no longer can be installed...I installed the AMD 64 bit driver but the MS hotfix is only for 32 bit I assume...is there a 64 bit MS hotfix anywhere?...and is it needed when using XP x64?

djtierta
04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Many thanks for this thread. I was on the phone with Microsoft this week and after a lot of searching, they sent me a special hotfix for Windows 2003 / Windows XP x64 Edition.

This file has not been tested yet...I'll be a guinea pig when I get home from the office. I've posted it here, if you guys are feeling lucky.

http://moogs.caelitusguild.com/XP64DualCoreHotfix.exe

:woot:

GAR
04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Should I uninstall the existing driver in my Add/remove programs first that reads "Athlon 64 Processor Driver"?

Yeah always uninstall the previous drivers, thats a must.

GAR
04-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi,

Many thanks for this thread. I was on the phone with Microsoft this week and after a lot of searching, they sent me a special hotfix for Windows 2003 / Windows XP x64 Edition.

This file has not been tested yet...I'll be a guinea pig when I get home from the office. I've posted it here, if you guys are feeling lucky.

Thanks for the file, im sure people in need will be vary thankfull.....good stuff

Frazer
04-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi!

I'm having the following issue with my setup, the CPU performance is very slow.. in 3Dmark06 I get about 1000 CPU points and in sandra CPU multimedia test the score is really crappy..

I followed this guide when installing the X2 drivers and the hotfix.. but that didn't help me..

Any help is apreciated.

-Toby

psupef2k
04-27-2006, 06:12 AM
For the record, it appears that the X2 driver link and opteron driver link point to the same file. Both are of the same file size at least, and I installed the opteron driver last night and it still shows up in add/remove programs as "Athlon 64 Processor Driver"

Not sure, but it looks like they are the same file. Regardless, If I have any problems in games I will apply the hotfix & registry edit to try and resolve. First I need to get the ATI driver issue sorted. Catalyst 6.4 is absolute garbage.

mcvigo
04-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Ive got a killed xp with the microsoft hotfix, then after reinstalled i put the amd again and the same screen came up, the good part was that i went in safe mode and deleted the amd drivers. Lets just hope its all good for vista

Titus
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM

interesting that the AMD site has now changed the version number listing...it no longer gives the dual core version number as 1.2.2.2 but instead it just says 1.2.2...guess they received some complaints from confused customers who downloaded the old driver and saw the version listed as 1.2.2.0 under Device Manager when the AMD website had it listed as 1.2.2.2

I'm glad they decided to change it :clap:

GAR
04-30-2006, 07:25 PM
interesting that the AMD site has now changed the version number listing...it no longer gives the dual core version number as 1.2.2.2 but instead it just says 1.2.2...guess they received some complaints from confused customers who downloaded the old driver and saw the version listed as 1.2.2.0 under Device Manager when the AMD website had it listed as 1.2.2.2

I'm glad they decided to change it :clap:

Yeah, same here, it was confusing alot of people, it confused me in the begining, made me think i had installed the wrong drivers.....

psupef2k
04-30-2006, 08:44 PM
so wait, 1.2.2.0 from 10/26/2004 are the right drivers, or aren't? That is the date on mine. DO I have the right ones? I used the download from the opteron page...

tvdang7
05-01-2006, 06:57 AM
ok i just poped in my friends x2 3800 and i installed the amd driver and the hot fix . my CS source crashes instantly and my cod2 crashes when i press shift to hold my breath to snipe. does this make sense?

i need answers i just ordered a 165 and if i dont get how this works im going to kill my self and stick to single core! i have not done any editing becuase my freind did that when he first got his x2 and he had to reformat many times becuase it wouldnt boot correctly(prob changed the wrong values).Will editing make my problems go away?

mvvl1
05-01-2006, 07:08 AM
so wait, 1.2.2.0 from 10/26/2004 are the right drivers, or aren't? That is the date on mine. DO I have the right ones? I used the download from the opteron page...

I don't see that specific date (10/26/2004) on the drivers. The page mentions May 2005.
(http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html)

@GAR
By the way; I believe the hotfix + registry entries you are supposed to add are already included in the latest post WinXP SP2 installs. Last week I used Nlite to create a new WinXP SP2 cd, including VM Ryan's "Post SP2 update" and the entries are already there...

GAR
05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't see that specific date (10/26/2004) on the drivers. The page mentions May 2005.
(http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html)

@GAR
By the way; I believe the hotfix + registry entries you are supposed to add are already included in the latest post WinXP SP2 installs. Last week I used Nlite to create a new WinXP SP2 cd, including VM Ryan's "Post SP2 update" and the entries are already there...

I know, i added just to make sure. :)

fhpchris
05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi,

Thanks a Million for this! I am running 2003 server x64 and the one posted does not work :)

tvdang7
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
i jsut got my 165 and i did this tutorial. and my CSS still crashes on loading. any ideas?

GAR
05-02-2006, 10:06 AM
i jsut got my 165 and i did this tutorial. and my CSS still crashes on loading. any ideas?

Are you overclocking??.........make sure your ram timings are correct, as the source engine is very hardware reliant, everything has to be stable.

Titus
05-02-2006, 10:35 AM

what does "post WinXP SP2 installs" mean?

so there is no need to download the hotfix if I have all the latest Windows Updates?...I recently did a reformat and after downloading all the latest Windows Updates I still had to download the hotfix + registry edits...I did not see the registry changes included after I finished installing all the latest updates...

tvdang7
05-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Are you overclocking??.........make sure your ram timings are correct, as the source engine is very hardware reliant, everything has to be stable.

yes it crashes with or with out eht overclock my ocz are at 3-4-4-8 which was 100% stable with my last set up. some times when it crashes on load up it says memory error. i remember it did this to me last summer and i dont rememeber what i did to fix it. some one help!!!! im going crazy here.

Arend_van_Beek
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey, i decided to make this thread since i was once in the need of some answers i had as to why my amd x2 was having problems with gaming, speed ups slow downs, sound familiar

Please help!
I think I tried all the tips and tricks of this forum.

The issue
The issue is performance, noticable in 3D programs such as games or benchmarking. For example: 3Dmark05. I can get a score of 3700 or just as easily a score of 2400. It's always one of these two scores.

Strangest thing: on a first boot, the score is 2400. When I reboot, the score becomes 3700. New reboots also make the 3700 score. But turning the computer off and on again will bring the score back to 2400.

In both speeds, taskmanager shows both CPU cores active. The FSB in both cases is 200 MHz, the CPU speed in both cases is 2200 MHz. Also, the GPU and VRAM are at constant speed. I have measured the same behaviour also with F.E.A.R. and 3DMark06.

First I thought this all had to do with the AMD X2 dual-core stuttering problems discussed in this forum. But the performance stays stable at either the "3700" or "2400" speed. And also, I have not had the so-called "Benny Hill effect". Taken my actions below into account, I start wondering if my issue is indeed caused by the dual-core.

Can anyone please help?

What I've tried so far - and did not work
- VSync off
- Different graphics drivers from NVidia: 77.77, 81.98 and 84.21 (current)
- Different VIA 4-in-1 drivers: 4.43 and 8.05A (current)
- Disabled cool & quiet in BIOS
- Installed AMD processor driver 1.2.2.2
- Fiddled around with the "/usepmtimer" switch in boot.ini
- Installed the Microsoft Hotfix (id 896256)
- Fiddled around with the accompanying DWORD Value in the registry
- Installed and used WinLauncherXP to set affinity at program launch
- Installed and used imagecfg for affinity masking
- Pulled out my hair and banged my head to my desk

My system
- Windows XP SP2
- Asus A8V
- AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
- 2 x 1GB dual channel Corsair Value RAM
- AOpen 6800LE AGP8x
- 150 GB WD Raptor & 200 GB WD Caviar
- everything at stock speed

Again: please help!

Kind regards,
Arend

djtierta
05-03-2006, 05:27 PM
After testing the x64 patch, I found that it DOES work! Download at will.

Titus
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
what does "post WinXP SP2 installs" mean?

so there is no need to download the hotfix if I have all the latest Windows Updates?...I recently did a reformat and after downloading all the latest Windows Updates I still had to download the hotfix + registry edits...I did not see the registry changes included after I finished installing all the latest updates...

BUMP :stick:

djtierta
05-04-2006, 05:25 AM
If you are running XP SP2, you do need the AMD driver, registry entry, and hotfix. These are not included in the Windows Update list. I noticed that the /usepmtimer flag was already included in the BOOT.ini file on XP SP2.

The same goes for XP x64. After downloading the Windows Updates, you'll need to install the x64 AMD driver and x64 hotfix. I'm not sure on the registry entry, but I found that it didn't hurt to set that up also. The /usepmtimer flag was not included in the BOOT.ini file on XP x64 edition...meaning you will have to add it yourself.

To test, I dual booted with XP SP2 and XP x64 (install XP x64 AFTER, or you will destroy your boot loader).

Here's what I did:

XP SP2: Install OS
Install System Drivers
Install Windows Updates
Install an Application you've had the issue with (I used the Torque Game Engine and EverQuest)
Test the Application (It should go choppy after 20-40 minutes)
Now in this order..........
Install the AMD driver for XP SP2 (You must have SP2 installed in order to install this driver)
Add up the /usepmtimer switch in BOOT.ini if it's not already there.
Reboot
Install the MS hotfix for XP SP2
Reboot
Test your Application and it ought to work just fine (unless you've got another issue altogether)

Note: It won't work until after rebooting, so don't even think about skipping that step.

Now rinse, repeat for XP x64 or Windows Server 2003 64-bit, using the files (AMD driver and MS hotfix) specific for your 64-bit platform.

I never had to disable the Cool & Quiet feature in BIOS.

Titus
05-04-2006, 07:14 AM
If you are running XP SP2, you do need the AMD driver, registry entry, and hotfix. These are not included in the Windows Update list. I noticed that the /usepmtimer flag was already included in the BOOT.ini file on XP SP2.

yes that's what I thought as well until someone mentioned a few posts ago about NOT needing the MS hotfix if you have all the latest windows Updates w/SP2

but in terms of your statement that the /usepmtimer comes with SP2 I don't think that is true...the /usepmtimer flag is added to the BOOT.ini file AFTER you install the AMD dual core driver...after installing SP2 the /usepmtimer flag is not there and the last thing in the BOOT.ini file is the /fastdetect flag...it's only AFTER installing the AMD driver that the /usepmtimer shows up

djtierta
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
...it's only AFTER installing the AMD driver that the /usepmtimer shows up

Yup, I think you're right on that.

Titus
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi,

how come Microsoft has not officially released this driver or at least made it available on their website?...having to contact Microsoft to obtain it is bad business by MS...or maybe they think that not enough people are using XP x64 or the beta version of Vista x64 yet

:cool:

djtierta
05-04-2006, 12:56 PM
In answer to your question, I've been pushing them to do just that. They left a message and said that someone else had called in with the same issue and the hotfix worked for him.

The patch is supposed to be experimental. I was initially told that there was no fix available (that they knew of), but that they would look into it. Couple days later, I got a link from two people (same file).

Nearly all of Microsoft's development resources are going towards the Vista release, which as you know, is already delayed. I think XP x64 Edition's legacy will be much like Windows ME (if it's lucky)...just something to hold you off until the new, better OS comes out.

The truth is, they don't want to release files for the general public which will really screw up your system if you don't NEED them. Say some kid has a bad lag spike playing -- insert favorite game here -- and he's not using a multi-core processor...these patches modify NTOSKRNL and some other major system files that are better left alone. To put it nicely, this reduces demand for tech support from users who won't take the time to RTFM or ask questions like "Why does my computer make loud clicking sounds and a burning smell?"

Titus
05-04-2006, 01:01 PM
The truth is, they don't want to release files for the general public which will really screw up your system if you don't NEED it. Say some kid has a bad lag spike playing <insert favorite game here> and he's not using a multi-core processor...these patches modify NTOSKRNL and some other major system files that are better left alone. To put it nicely, this reduces demand for tech support from users who have won't take the time to RTFM or ask questions like "Why does my computer make loud clicking sounds and a burning smell?"

have you heard of any issues with the X64 hotfix?....

you're right about X64 just being something to give people a taste of what an X64 system has to offer...with the real goal being for Vista to take 64 bit computing to the mainstream...even though I don't see that happening for at least a year after Vista is released (hence MS offering both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista on one DVD)

djtierta
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I have not heard of any issues, since I didn't know that the hotfix existed until a week ago (and neither did most of the MS tech support folks). I can only go by my personal experience with it...and I haven't got much.

If I do find something wrong in the coming weeks, I'll be sure to post it. Those of you who have been brave enough to download this hotfix for x64, please do the same.

ElDuderino
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
My boot.ini has 1s and 0s in different spots than yours does. Is this ok?

This is what mine looks like. I had to manually add the /usepmtimer to mine. it didn't come up on its own.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

I haven't done any testing. Maybe this will help me get a higher overclock? Anyone found that out after applying the fixes and patches?

GAR
05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
My boot.ini has 1s and 0s in different spots than yours does. Is this ok?

This is what mine looks like. I had to manually add the /usepmtimer to mine. it didn't come up on its own.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

I haven't done any testing. Maybe this will help me get a higher overclock? Anyone found that out after applying the fixes and patches?

Mine looks like this.......yous looks fine to me..........

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

grsz06
05-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Should this hotfix be used with the new AMD cpu driver, May 2006?

GAR
05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Should this hotfix be used with the new AMD cpu driver, May 2006?

Yes it works fine.

Aramdin
05-23-2006, 12:51 AM
What to do If you've already installed the previous version of the AMD CPU driver (v1.2.2) with the MS Hotfix?

Can you just install this version without any problems? Anyone tested it out yet?

mvvl1
05-23-2006, 07:35 AM
What to do If you've already installed the previous version of the AMD CPU driver (v1.2.2) with the MS Hotfix?

Can you just install this version without any problems? Anyone tested it out yet?

I only removed the AMD driver, rebooted and installed the latest one. No problems there and the hotfixes plus both processors are still there :yepp:

@Titus
Sorry 4 my late reply but I was away for a few weeks.

I use VM Ryan's Update Packs along with WinXP Pro SP2 to "build" a new XP whenever I feel the time is there to re-install WinXP (I use Nlite for this). This way I can keep the garbage out of XP and install only what I need, incl. drivers, tweaks etc. The "Post SP2 update pack" of Ryan already includes Microsoft's "KB896256" which addresses the X2 issue. Have a look at http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html to see what is included.

GAR
05-23-2006, 08:42 AM
All you need to do is uninstall the previous AMD driver, reboot, then install the new one, the amd driver has nothing to do with the hotfix, new drivers and hotfix work great together.

seanx
05-27-2006, 11:29 PM
yes it crashes with or with out eht overclock my ocz are at 3-4-4-8 which was 100% stable with my last set up. some times when it crashes on load up it says memory error. i remember it did this to me last summer and i dont rememeber what i did to fix it. some one help!!!! im going crazy here.

I wondered tv if u had fixed this ?
I had a similar problem , and found out it was actually my winxpsp2 firewall,
just try disable it and wholia ! CS worked :-)

justbreakin
05-28-2006, 02:28 AM
hey everyone im new here, props for the links on the firstpage GAR. I also have few questions about everything.

i was using 1.2.2.0 AMD drivers, recently found out 1.3.1.0 was out downloaded and installed it, is there a page that lists the updates on this patch ? i had problems with running the installation i kept getting "C:\boot.ini cannot be opened" basically my boot.ini was saved on another parition i had, for the reason i dont know, i got working and installed it, no issues further.

Also i was using the MS hotfix, but in the registrey i left it as 0 instead of 1 and havent really had any issues doing this, u said earlier 1 is to enable and 0 is to disable it? but its already installed, and on the MS site says its enabling the state policy behaviour which i dont have a clear idea on that is.

After installing the updated amd driver i decided to set the registrey to 1 for the ms hotfix, playing san adreas on everything max, with no problems, i did have a extremely annoying Problem with Half life based games using Steam, Counter Strike, Natrual Selection i would get choke when alot of action would be happening, now i know did everything on rates and everything, it was computer caused choke, looks like i fixed by using -heapsize 512000 assigning 512mb to CS and NS, is anyone else getting similar choke problems like it would jump from 0 - 15 then back to 0. ( natrual selection ), this choke was extremely annoying my specs are 3800+ X2, Msi K8N Diamond, 2gb ram, 7800GT, currently using forceware 77.77.

if it helps anyone else i did get a blue screen playing games, and its not ram related ether since i ran memtest, the AMD driver solved my BSOD. I've disabled Cool N Quiet in the bios it was causing conflicts with Sony Vegas Video editing program also, i noticed before installing the AMD driver and MS patch my fps stays at 100 more constant in Counter Strike and after installing it, it would flicker to say 99 -100 very rapidly, not that this is a big problem but some conern just trying to figure out why this occurs,

1 more thing im running 2x200gb on SATA 5 which is sata-raid a processor called nvraidservice.exe, i can End this process and everything will still work fine i was reading somewhere it causes some problems with the Steam client and games, such as CS and half life games, is it ok disabling this?

Mike89
05-28-2006, 03:41 PM
I have found a problem using this hotfix. Quake 4 has a patch that enables dual core optimizations. Using the AMD 1.3.1.0 driver and the Microsoft hotfix, Quake 4 (enabling the dual core option in game options) runs a lot slower and has system crashes at some cutscenes. If I either change the Quake 4 "dual core" in game options to "no" (with hotfix installed), or un-install the hotfix (and leave the game setting to dual core), this does not happen. When I say the game runs slower, I mean even the run speed is slower. The walk speed with hotfix un-installed is almost as fast as run speed with hot fix installed.

Maybe this has something to do with the new AMD drivers as it's quite a bit newer than when this thread started. Maybe AMD has already addressed this issue with the drivers and the hotfix is no longer necessary. There has to be a reason why Micosoft pulled it and why AMD has not said to use it.

Also those instructions to remove the hotfix saying that the pmtimer entry also needs to be removed is false. The AMD drivers is what puts that entry there, not the hotfix. At least I know this is true for the AMD 1.3.1.0 driver. Not sure about any previous AMD drivers. If un-installing the hotfix, leave that pmtimer entry alone.

GAR
05-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I have found a problem using this hotfix. Quake 4 has a patch that enables dual core optimizations. Using the AMD 1.3.1.0 driver and the Microsoft hotfix, Quake 4 (enabling the dual core option in game options) runs a lot slower and has system crashes at some cutscenes. If I either change the Quake 4 "dual core" in game options to "no" (with hotfix installed), or un-install the hotfix (and leave the game setting to dual core), this does not happen. When I say the game runs slower, I mean even the run speed is slower. The walk speed with hotfix un-installed is almost as fast as run speed with hot fix installed.

Maybe this has something to do with the new AMD drivers as it's quite a bit newer than when this thread started. Maybe AMD has already addressed this issue with the drivers and the hotfix is no longer necessary. There has to be a reason why Micosoft pulled it and why AMD has not said to use it.

Also those instructions to remove the hotfix saying that the pmtimer entry also needs to be removed is false. The AMD drivers is what puts that entry there, not the hotfix. At least I know this is true for the AMD 1.3.1.0 driver. Not sure about any previous AMD drivers. If un-installing the hotfix, leave that pmtimer entry alone.

Its the nvidia drivers.

Mike89
05-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Nvidia vid drivers? I've never heard of this issue concerning Quake 4 with Nvidia drivers. All I've read of is of good performance with the Quake 4 patch enabling the dual core setting using Nvidia vid cards.

If it was vid card drivers, then more people would be reporting problems with that Quake 4 patch and I've not seen any.

Without the hotfix installed, Quake 4 runs perfect with the dual core setting with Nvidia drivers. Only when installing the hotfix does the problems happen.

GAR
05-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Nvidia vid drivers? I've never heard of this issue concerning Quake 4 with Nvidia drivers. All I've read of is of good performance with the Quake 4 patch enabling the dual core setting using Nvidia vid cards.

If it was vid card drivers, then more people would be reporting problems with that Quake 4 patch and I've not seen any.

Without the hotfix installed, Quake 4 runs perfect with the dual core setting with Nvidia drivers. Only when installing the hotfix does the problems happen.

You seem to be the only one who is having this issue, seems to be something with your setup, no one else has complained about this issue.

Aramdin
05-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I want to report the upgrade to v1.3.1.0 went without a problem.

-I uninstalled the previous version v1.2.2.0
-Rebooted
-Installed the new version v1.3.1.0
-Rebooted

Thats it :) No problems whatsoever!

qyte
06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi there, I have a X2 4400 939 socket processor and the DFI LP UT nf4 SLI-D M/B. Can anyone instruct me what is the right way of combining those two together? Why should i not use the C&Q functionality? I have installed the 1.3.1 drivers and the hotfix but i think i am having problems with my power supply. How do you suggest finding out if i trully have a problem and if there is one in what order do you suggest of installing a fresh copy of windows? I mean: nvidia chipset drivers, audio, device drivers, cpu, windows updates... It would be VERY helpful.

MaStA
06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I should still perform these steps if I run media center edition right? I figure I should since it is just XP Pro + MCE enhancements. I thought I would ask before I did it though.

Thanks,
Jared

GFDuke
06-04-2006, 04:10 AM

I have the 1.3.1.0 AMD driver and the new patch for Quake 4. I never installed the Dual-Core hotfix and when i enable dual core in Quake4 the game wont even load. I have to reboot and when i get back into options the Dual core option is already disabled. Should i try the Hotfix?

GAR
06-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I have the 1.3.1.0 AMD driver and the new patch for Quake 4. I never installed the Dual-Core hotfix and when i enable dual core in Quake4 the game wont even load. I have to reboot and when i get back into options the Dual core option is already disabled. Should i try the Hotfix?

Yeah, MCE is the same OS.

mjh74
06-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Sadly these fixes haven't done a thing for me. I still get games that are ok when first ran, close the game, reopen and play and they stutter badly, almost as if there is a memory leak somewhere. Rebooting the OS fixes it until I run a game for a while, close it and run again :(.

maverickccs
06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey you guys. Where I can get the Spanish Version of this patch?.

GAR
06-07-2006, 02:29 PM

Hey, the only way to get other lang. is to email MS.

maverickccs
06-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I think im going to do that. Is there a way to do it manually?.

Aramdin
06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Sadly these fixes haven't done a thing for me. I still get games that are ok when first ran, close the game, reopen and play and they stutter badly, almost as if there is a memory leak somewhere. Rebooting the OS fixes it until I run a game for a while, close it and run again :(.

How much memory do you have?
Which games do you play?
Does it appear in all games you play?

Espinetenbolas
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Aqui tienes el parche: ;)

WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ESN.exe (http://www.filefactory.com/?237e6e)

maverickccs
06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Espinetenbolas. How can I tell if the patch works?.

I installed it on my PC but I still have LOW FPS problems with BF2.

I have:

MOBO: MSI k8 NEO4 SLI
MEMORY: 2GB XMS CORSAIR 3200C2
VC: 7900GT CU SUPERCLOCK EVGA
CPU: AMD 3800X2

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Espinetenbolas
06-10-2006, 01:12 PM

GAR
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM

I have:

Thanks.

Try these steps see if they help.......
before anything try installing a fresh copy of windows, use all the newest drivers

2nd make sure your bios settings are all correct according to your ram timings and so on

u could also try installing BF2 again, im sure u have tried this one already.

Titus
06-10-2006, 06:51 PM
anyone know of any AMD drivers or MS Hotfix drivers for Vista Beta 2 that was recently released?...is it even necessary to install them on Vista?

MaStA
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
anyone know of any AMD drivers or MS Hotfix drivers for Vista Beta 2 that was recently released?...is it even necessary to install them on Vista?

The problem to my knowledge was only with Windows XP. Service Pack 3 is supposed to incorporate the fix...if they will ever release the SP3.

Jared

Titus
06-10-2006, 11:55 PM
The problem to my knowledge was only with Windows XP. Service Pack 3 is supposed to incorporate the fix...if they will ever release the SP3.

Jared

but what about the AMD processor driver for Vista?

MaStA
06-11-2006, 06:26 AM
but what about the AMD processor driver for Vista?

I never used the AMD driver until I heard about this dual core fix. You obviously do not need that driver. Everything has always worked fine for me without it.

Jared

DXL
06-12-2006, 02:38 AM
Since a while I'm having some troubles, but I can't tell if this hotfix will help. During games or when surfing on the web (scrolling), sometimes there's some delay. It's not a freeze, but a kind of hitch. Just a split of a second, and then it's okay again. The performance in games and benchmarks is okay, no doubt about that. I'm having an Opty 165.

zerotol
06-14-2006, 03:50 AM
hi guys , i just got an opteron 170 :clap: and installed it and it went to multiprocessor immediatly.I also installed the hotfix do i need to do the registry stuff ?

GAR
06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
hi guys , i just got an opteron 170 :clap: and installed it and it went to multiprocessor immediatly.I also installed the hotfix do i need to do the registry stuff ?

Yeah, in order for it to be working properly make sure you follow all the instructions on page one.

alpha0ne
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, in order for it to be working properly make sure you follow all the instructions on page one.

BUT if you use a Logitech MOMO wheel and you do the reg hack too you will get nothing but BSOD :mad:

GAR
06-15-2006, 08:45 AM
BUT if you use a Logitech MOMO wheel and you do the reg hack too you will get nothing but BSOD :mad:

Wierd, i never heard of a steering wheel conflicting with something like this, very wierd.

alpha0ne
06-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Wierd, i never heard of a steering wheel conflicting with something like this, very wierd.

ONLY when the Logitech profiler app is enabled which you need to do to enable force feedback for most games :(

chris watton
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Hi,
I keep on trying to update the AMD CPU Driver Installation Package, but I just get an error window saying, " The file C:\boot.ini could not be opened"!!
Is this because my program drive is 'I' and not 'C'? I installed the Windows update for it, but can't install the package from the AMD website, is there a 'workaround' for this?

Cheers

Chris

darkhelmet
06-23-2006, 03:23 PM
how can you tell if you are affected? i just bought an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and in a few days will be getting an X2 3800+ for it. From the windows page it's seems to be a windows issue, so i should be safe to assume there is a definite possibly of me being affected, but how can I tell? just play games for long periods of time and see what happens?

darkhelmet
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM

well then.....i definitely have one of those wheels......

chris watton
06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
how can you tell if you are affected? i just bought an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and in a few days will be getting an X2 3800+ for it. From the windows page it's seems to be a windows issue, so i should be safe to assume there is a definite possibly of me being affected, but how can I tell? just play games for long periods of time and see what happens?

I too have this motherboard, along with a 4600 64X2, 2GB RAM and a Geforce 7950 GPU. The games do stutter after a while, even in Rome Total War! But I can't seem to install the updated driver from the AMD site!

Titus
06-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi,

this file is the exact same file as the 32 bit version...it is not a special 64 bit version...I downloaded and installed this new driver and saw that it was the exact same file as the 32 bit hotfix

Aramdin
06-27-2006, 04:49 PM

I have:

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my pc. It doesnt matter if I enable FSAA or AA, i have almost the same amount of fps...

Also tried without the Dual Core hotfix + different Forceware drivers...

Complete
06-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Anyone know if this needs to be done with my FX-62?

GAR
06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Anyone know if this needs to be done with my FX-62?

This goes for all dual core cpu's under windows XP, it could be done for AMD and INTEL, no matter what the model number, as long as your in windows xp your probably gonna need this.

Titus
07-02-2006, 06:14 AM
seems like AMD has quietly released new 1.3.2 dual core drivers...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

also AMD has released a new program called the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer....which according to them helps improve PC gaming video performance

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

chris watton
07-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Hi Titus, the new 1.3.2 duel core drivers are the ones I downloaded, but I cannot install them! It keeps saying 'C:\boot.ini could not be opened'!! I have no way of changing the path to my I boot ini! VERY annoying, not all of us have our main drive or boot partition on 'C'!!!

ChkDsk
07-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi Titus, the new 1.3.2 duel core drivers are the ones I downloaded, but I cannot install them! It keeps saying 'C:\boot.ini could not be opened'!! I have no way of changing the path to my I boot ini! VERY annoying, not all of us have our main drive or boot partition on 'C'!!!

Copy your boot.ini to C:\ and then after the install replace the "old" by the new one made on C:\ ?

Tried that?

It only adds /usepmtimer if you ask me...

chris watton
07-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Copy your boot.ini to C:\ and then after the install replace the "old" by the new one made on C:\ ?

Tried that?

It only adds /usepmtimer if you ask me...

Thanks for that, just tried it, but still didn't seem to want to know! If all it does is add /usepmtimer , could I not do that myself?

Thank you

Chris

Edited to add - - - yes, that did work, did it wrong in the first instance! Cheers!

Mike89
07-02-2006, 09:23 AM
also AMD has released a new program called the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer....which according to them helps improve PC gaming video performance.

This looks like AMD's version of the Hotfix.

I'm am kind of leary of the 1.32 drivers. The description states the system can adjust the cpu speed and voltages. This seems like "Cool-n-Quiet" drivers even though it doesn't exactly say that. There are indeed "Cool-n-Quiet" drivers listed there also for Windows ME/2000. The description is exactly the same. Seems these are not the drivers to be used if overclocking if wanting the speed and voltage to stay set to what you overclocked it to.

ChkDsk
07-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for that, just tried it, but still didn't seem to want to know! If all it does is add /usepmtimer , could I not do that myself?

Thank you

Chris

Edited to add - - - yes, that did work, did it wrong in the first instance! Cheers!

Oops, misread your post. Nice to see it worked :)

Cheers! :)

b00sfuk
07-04-2006, 12:19 AM
On my system installing the Optimizer causes a BSOD (Driver_IRQL_....) everytime it comes out of S3 standby. This is over the top of a stable system already running the 1.3.2 driver and the hotfix.
The instructions on the first page have been edited to include the Optimizer but it also still includes the hotfix - is this right as some have said they do the same thing? Can anybody confirm what they do and if they are mutually exclusive?

Titus
07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
the AMD Dual Core Optimizer is only listed on the FX utilities page on AMD's website and not on the dual core utilities page...does it work on non-FX X2 CPU's as well?

and like b00sfuk asked, do you need both the Optimizer and the MS hotfix installed....since the Optimizer apparently is a better version of the hotfix then it stands to reason that the MS hotfix would no longer be necessary

GAR
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
the AMD Dual Core Optimizer is only listed on the FX utilities page on AMD's website and not on the dual core utilities page...does it work on non-FX X2 CPU's as well?

and like b00sfuk asked, do you need both the Optimizer and the MS hotfix installed....since the Optimizer apparently is a better version of the hotfix then it stands to reason that the MS hotfix would no longer be necessary

You know what, i tried it with and without the MS HOTFIX, and i found that with the MS hotfix i get better performance, for example, i got 4 more frames CSS stress test, and 3 more frames for FEAR avg........i have both the AMD and MS hotfix, and is working real good together.

Zeus...
07-04-2006, 12:42 PM
You know what, i tried it with and without the MS HOTFIX, and i found that with the MS hotfix i get better performance, for example, i got 4 more frames CSS stress test, and 3 more frames for FEAR avg........i have both the AMD and MS hotfix, and is working real good together.

I have both running but I just installed the 'AMD optimizer' on after the your hotfix 'Gar' PC is running fine do u think it makes a difference

i.e. is it worth deinstalling them all and then reinstalling them as u surgest 'post 1'

Zeus

GAR
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I have both running but I just installed the 'AMD optimizer' on after the your hotfix 'Gar' PC is running fine do u think it makes a difference

i.e. is it worth deinstalling them all and then reinstalling them as u surgest 'post 1'

Zeus

If you had the hotfix installed before you did the optimizer, then your fine.

Zeus...
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
If you had the hotfix installed before you did the optimizer, then your fine.

I see u have changed 'first post' to reflex this - good - yesterday it had the optimzer to do first

BTW great work with this tread 'GAR' and if u dont mined me asking if u 'edit' the fiirst post could u please also post in thread as well so that subscribers get the notification of the change - hopr u don't mine me asking

Zeus

GAR
07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
I see u have changed 'first post' to reflex this - good - yesterday it had the optimzer to do first

BTW great work with this tread 'GAR' and if u dont mined me asking if u 'edit' the fiirst post could u please also post in thread as well so that subscribers get the notification of the change - hopr u don't mine me asking

Zeus

Thanks Zeus.....yeah just so everyone knows, the first post has been updated.

kempez815
07-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks Zeus.....yeah just so everyone knows, the first post has been updated.

Was having issues with performance in CS: S

did this and all is well.

Great work man thanks :woot: :clap:

Celcius
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey GAR, nice guide.:)
I had a Venice, but I sold it and I'm getting an X2. I have WinXP Pro, but only service pack 1. Would you recommend just installing the dual-core optimizer and doing the /usepmtimer registry edit? thanks

GAR
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey GAR, nice guide.:)
I had a Venice, but I sold it and I'm getting an X2. I have WinXP Pro, but only service pack 1. Would you recommend just installing the dual-core optimizer and doing the /usepmtimer registry edit? thanks

Thanks guys......Yes for sure install the AMD optimizer, and make sure your registry has /uspmtimer and you should be fine, i suggest moving to SP2.... ..

-GaR-

johnrr6
07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Great updated thread!!!!

Why AMD hasn't put this out in huge notices everywhere just kills me......

People are still confused----is this for me if I don't use CnQ----is this for me if I've disabled CnQ....is this for me if I've already used the hotfix....is this for me if I have a regular X2 and not an FX.....

Bottom line----if you are a gamer and use ANY kind of AMD Dual Core.......

Dual Opty
X2
Dual FX

What GAR describes is definitely for you. REGARDLESS of whether you use CnQ or don't use CnQ----enabled or disabled in BIOS----makes no difference---although you are probably a daring sort if you overclock AND use CnQ

Try it----you'll like it!

fasttoon
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi All.

Good info, can't get it to work for me.

system specs:

MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum
x2 3800+
Windows XP sp2
multi-boot

Installed in order as listed out in first page, or at least tried to.

C boot, amdcpusetup v1.3.2 won't install, said need end user license before I can proceed, found v1.2.2 and same thing with that one.

D boot, amdcpusetup v1.3.2 won't install, this one said uninstall previous drivers, didn't know I had those drivers, uninstalled drivers and then installed new ones, same message, said need to uninstall old ones first, current driver version 5.1.2600. Ok I have some kind of driver installed so installed hotfix and that installed fine, did reg fix, reboot and my boot ini was already modified with usepmtimer for both winxp (does this mean it loads drivers like raid drivers?) Installed AMD Dual-Core Optimizer and on boot up I get bsod, bsod doesn't go away I try safe mode but that doesn't work so I delete switch on boot ini and go to last good boot and all works.

In games lag is very much reduced but still there minutely all the time instead of before like after 15-20 I used to get major slowdowns/lag, I change priority to single core and all is fine.

So the questions is cpu driver loaded prior to win desktop? How do I get around end user license and uninstall drivers? Any reason why after install of optimizer I get blue screen?

Thanks for any advice.

h4nc0
07-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I hadn't been able to install AMD CPU driver 1.3.1 and 1.3.2. It just hangs at "installing the driver....." screen forever. I've backed down to 1.2.2 for now, but anyone experiencing similar problem? Any solution?

RPGWiZaRD
07-08-2006, 05:50 AM
What I'm wondering is that is SP2 really needed for optimal performance having a dual core cpu? I did a SP1 vs SP2 test not that long ago on my single core A64 SD3700+ cpu. It turns out I get slightly better performance with SP1, altough it got better when I installed an AMD64 driver from AMDs homepage on SP2 (not the dual core driver), it added a bit better benchmark scores and running games felt smoother. However it didn't quite match the performance with SP1 and having no whatsoever cpu drivers installed. I've been comparing drivers, tweaks and such for years and I usually test both old games I've played a lot like from around 2000 and newer ones. So I'm good at noticing differences only by playing the games and look closely at how it runs (benchmark programs doesn't really reveal that good in which way it runs, only how fast it runs. You can have huge fps rates but still suffer from stuttering for example which is very disturbing). Without the cpu patch in SP2 UT1 for example looked like it had more minor acceleration and slowdowns without the cpu patch, it got better with the cpu patch but with SP1 it runs pretty much all the time with the same smooth and fast speed, other than running with face turned down towards the floor speeds it up a lot of course and small corridors (vsync off when testing of course).

I'm wondering if some1 with a dual core cpu actually have tried comparing SP1 without any hotfix and cpu drivers vs SP2 with these patches and both benchmarked and ran couple of games to see if there's any difference. I've read through this whole thread and found only 1 person that stated he runs SP1 and hasn't got these problems. Does these problems really appear on SP1 at all I wonder?

I'm prolly switching to an Opteron 165 soon (as soon as I find some1 willing to sell me one :rolleyes:) so I will prolly do similiar tests then in case no1 else have tried this.

Benchmarks and games I'd try would be at least following: 3Dmark01, 03, 05, Aquamark V3, FEAR benchmark utility, Quake 4 with dual core patch, Unreal Tournament 1, Quake 3, Halo, Call of Duty 2 and possibly UT2k4. I see many complained about CoD2 in this thread, on my single core 3700+ I can play this game from start to end without a single stutter (must be one of the smoothest gameplay I've experienced among newer games) so I should notice stutterings fairly easily if I experience those probs when switching to dual core. :)

flewpastu
07-08-2006, 06:09 AM
well been running SP1 slipstreamed for a while with my FX60 no issues .... added a 4th Raptor found my XPProSP1 CD got damaged . had to install XPproSP2 ... Did the Hot fix as per PG 1 ( prior to last edit ) works flawless ( C&Q always disabled ) ... been running perfect @ 2.97 . spotted the optimiser last week installed it in the search for more performance ......immediatly after - every bench Locks up even stock and just over all runs slower Seems ( I did not and still have not installed any AMD proccessor drivers )

uninstalled the optimiser still locking up ... did a clean driver install for the Video and all is well ..... i'm gonna stick to just the Hot Fix

But i hafta say THX this thread is just plain great and very informative :toast:

Mike89
07-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Someone with Quake 4, run it with the "Multiple CPU/Core" setting set to "Yes" in game options and see if the cutscenes freezes on you. I have this problem with it using the Hotfix, the Dual Core Optimizer, and the AMD Drivers 1.32. If I change the "Multiple CPU/Core" setting to "No" in the game menu, this does not happen. Right at the beginning of the game after the dude turns around with the crater in his face and the ships start to fly by, as the big ship is flying by it just freezes. Also during the game when a cutscene happens it freezes. Dunno what the deal is with that game running these options.

Mike89
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
OK, I seem to have found my problem. In the Quake cfg I had the setting "seta image_useCache" set to "1". My system with Quake 4 doesn't like that setting resulting in my problems posted above. Setting it to "0" fixed that cutscene freezing problem.

classic_leon
07-11-2006, 06:06 AM
I can't get hotfix installed on my Chinese Windows XP as it popsup a window showing system language which is not English doesnt match for installation. I tried to get the Chinese version on Microsoft site last year but it told me I had to telephone their tech support in China to get these stuffs. Is there any international version of this hotfix? Many thanks.

classic leon

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
i tried searching this thread but i came up empty. which hal do you guys use when you install windows? acpi multiprocessor pc or mps multiprocessor pc?

thinkingbear
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
i tried searching this thread but i came up empty. which hal do you guys use when you install windows? acpi multiprocessor pc or mps multiprocessor pc?
I use the multiprocessor HAL and have never had any of the issues other people seem to have. But I don't know for a fact that is why, maybe someone here might know.

p3tar
07-14-2006, 09:08 AM
i installed drivers and hotfixes as said on page1, no problems so far, need to do some testing. Do i have to keep adm_dc_opt.exe file on my startup?!

GAR
07-14-2006, 01:39 PM
i installed drivers and hotfixes as said on page1, no problems so far, need to do some testing. Do i have to keep adm_dc_opt.exe file on my startup?!

Nope.

p3tar
07-15-2006, 06:22 AM
ok thanks, ill delete amd_dc_opt.exe. Does games and programs that know how to work with 2 cores, work as before or? i havent got time to try it.

breakfromyou
07-15-2006, 08:34 PM
if you install the "dual core optimiser", would it help any by installing the hotfix?

GAR
07-16-2006, 10:56 AM
if you install the "dual core optimiser", would it help any by installing the hotfix?

Read the first post.

Complete
07-20-2006, 09:30 AM
I am running a FX_62...and I am wondering if I should follow the steps on the first page?

Or install this also??

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2

Located here..

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Complete
07-20-2006, 01:56 PM
No ideas?

There are to possible drivers here.

There is one for the FX series. WHich the FX-62 is a FX series..
AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2

And there is also one forthe x2 series... which the FX-62 is duel core!
AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2 -
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Which do I use?

Cooper
07-20-2006, 02:18 PM
AMD Athlon™ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2

That one

Mike89
07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I wrote to AMD about the 1.32 driver because I was confused if I should be using it or not. Here is my email to them:

I have the AMD64 X2 4800 cpu. I see you have a driver on the AMD website, version 1.32 (for Windows XP). I have questions/concerns about this driver I don't see addressed there or on your forums. It states in the description that this driver allows the system to automatically adjust cpu speed and voltages. The description does not specifically say "Cool-n-Quiet" but it seems that what it is. I would not think this would be the driver to use if one is overclocking. I mean, why would you want the system to be messing with cpu speed and voltage when you want it to stay set to whatever the overclocked speed is? I'm not the only one confused about this as a lot of people do overclock your cpu's. It would be nice if you would add some information about this in the driver description. I would like to hear from you if I should be using this driver if overclocking or if I should just use the stock Windows XP driver. Thanks

Here is their response back to me:

Dear Sir, Thank you for the advice regarding information for the driver. In case you are overclocking this processor you do not need to use this driver, since it will change voltage/temp. according special table which the driver will refer to. Please note you will loose your warranty with AMD in case of processor overclocking.

Best regards,
AMD ETSC Engineer

Celcius
08-03-2006, 08:14 AM
I've been using single-core cpu's in my s939 rig, which means that whenever I upgrade the cpu I don't reinstall windows. However, I'm now upgrading to a dual-core cpu. I would normally just keep the same windows install, install the amd dual-core optimizer, do the "/usepmtimer" tweak to boot.ini and call it a day, but I started wondering if windows loads different cpu drivers based on how many cores you have. Specifically, if you install winXP Pro with a dual-core cpu, does it install the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver instead of the usual ACPI Uniprocessor PC driver, and if so, could I just change it manually to avoid re-installing windows just for the different driver? thanks

edit: Also, someone will probably say: "A fresh install's worth it." This rig has never been connected to the net, so there's no junk or unnecessary files on it. :)

smith_6079
08-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Awesome guide GAR. Thanks for the help. I just got my 4400+ Toledo installed and your guide made it easy. I hope my gameplay will improve a little, and those waits when ripping media with this new processor.

GAR
08-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Awesome guide GAR. Thanks for the help. I just got my 4400+ Toledo installed and your guide made it easy. I hope my gameplay will improve a little, and those waits when ripping media with this new processor.

Thanks Bud, im sure you will be happy with the results.

justbreakin
08-10-2006, 11:25 PM
there is a new AMD X2 Process driver update http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

have you tested this GAR or anyone else? looks liek there coming out with new updates nearly every month.

GAR
08-11-2006, 01:06 PM
there is a new AMD X2 Process driver update http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

have you tested this GAR or anyone else? looks liek there coming out with new updates nearly every month.

Yeah its been out for a while, same thing no difference, driver reads the same version in device manager.

Ray Sheppard
08-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Many thanks Gar for a great thread. Before I found this excellent info on the update/fix I had installed the June AMD driver v1.32 (winXP2, X2 4800@2.69 at 1.49volts, PC3200 2x1gig Twin Corsair) with the dual-core optimizer but knew nothing about the fix. The interesting bit - I had the "usepmtimer" tweak to the boot.ini after installing the optimizer (no 'fix' installed) so the entry must be added when the AMD optimizer was installed.

After reading the post by Mike89, suggesting by AMD, that if you O/C you don't need the updated AMD drivers, I removed them. I did a SiSoft Processor Arithmetic and Processor M-M test before I uninstalled the updated AMD drivers (now using the MS drivers dated 1.4.2004) and then compared without the driver update .

SiSoft Processor Arithmetic test

Updated AMD drivers v1.32 - MIPS 19104, MFlops 16096
Standard MS drivers - MIPS 19091, MFlops 16088

SiSoft Processor M-M test

Updated AMD drivers v1.32 - Integer 49536, Floating Point 53898
Standard MS drivers - Integer 49468, Floating Point 53912

Both tests done in exactly the same way and although I don't have much faith in such tests, did not find FS2004 Sim (the only game I use) run any worse and if anything the fps were better. I did think about installing the latest AMD July driver update but in view of the remarks by AMD (above) think I will leave all well alone. Not sure if the optimizer is needed, now I use the MS standard drivers but as it's all running well I will probably leave it in.

Thanks again for a great 'tut' and all your back up advice - a bit special.

Ray
PS - CPU Temp with O/C 34c idle, full load 45c, Mobo AV8D/L 17c, Raptors 26c. Chieftec Full Tower Mesh case with x2 92mm side, x2 92mm side for Raptors and x2 120mm rear extract fans. X850 Pro AGP (16 pipes enabled) O/C 540/590, idle 30c full load 48c.

Lane-k
08-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Nice guide... I will have my 4800+ in some days ( hope tomorrow), and this will help me a lot...

One ask i plan manage directly a OC at 3030mhz (276x11) before work for more.. is someone have see lower OC with the Hotfix/AMD driver installed?

provoko
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Does it matter that I did it in a weird order? I installed optimizer, then driver, then mshotfix. Probably stupid question.

GAR
08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Does it matter that I did it in a weird order? I installed optimizer, then driver, then mshotfix. Probably stupid question.

shouldnt matter.

iLLestOne
08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
I've been using single-core cpu's in my s939 rig, which means that whenever I upgrade the cpu I don't reinstall windows. However, I'm now upgrading to a dual-core cpu. I would normally just keep the same windows install, install the amd dual-core optimizer, do the "/usepmtimer" tweak to boot.ini and call it a day, but I started wondering if windows loads different cpu drivers based on how many cores you have. Specifically, if you install winXP Pro with a dual-core cpu, does it install the ACPI Multiprocessor PC driver instead of the usual ACPI Uniprocessor PC driver, and if so, could I just change it manually to avoid re-installing windows just for the different driver? thanks

edit: Also, someone will probably say: "A fresh install's worth it." This rig has never been connected to the net, so there's no junk or unnecessary files on it. :)

Anyone know the answer to this? I will be upgrading from a 3200+ to a x2 4400+ (89w) on thursday, and would like to know if I have to reinstall windows all over again!? (please tell me no!!!)

GAR
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone know the answer to this? I will be upgrading from a 3200+ to a x2 4400+ (89w) on thursday, and would like to know if I have to reinstall windows all over again!? (please tell me no!!!)

Before you put in the new cpu, just uninstall all the cpu components, drivers, hotfix, and optimizer, there is a how to uninstall on page one, changing cpu does not require a reinstall, changing a motherboard does.

iLLestOne
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I haven't installed any of that yet. I actaully just built this system like 10 days ago, so I never got around to installing any of the drivers, hotfix or the optimizer. So I guess I should be good to go, that's really good to hear! I hate re-installing all of my programs/games :(

Driver
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I got the best Results with XP Sp1 and only the Optimizer.
With Sp2 and all that other Stuff my Sys is only slow,feels like Singlecore then.
Now it's runnin very smooth and silky and fast.

justbreakin
08-16-2006, 09:34 PM
I got the best Results with XP Sp1 and only the Optimizer.
With Sp2 and all that other Stuff my Sys is only slow,feels like Singlecore then.
Now it's runnin very smooth and silky and fast.

that's what im using atm SP1 with the DualCore Optimizer, runs fairly well but im going to reformat it and put SP2 and apply the stuff that GAR said once again i've tried them all before, without the amd driver u'l get problems that would never occur with the driver, i've noticed with sp2 and the fixes performance in games like CS run better, also alt tab problems occur also without the driver

KyanMehwulfe
08-17-2006, 03:57 AM
I did the entire process, registry edit and all, on a brand new Dual-Core (with Cool & Quiet disable from the get-go) system that had seen no issues or eratic performance on the few games I had tested. Right afterwards I saw no impact at all from this fix and no change in 3DMark06. However, my score which had been the same for a while now did go up 11 points when I ran the benchmark again a few hours later, and another 3 points the next day. That was yesterday and it remains steady at that point.

halo112358
08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I did the full process on an x2 3800 with cool'n'quiet on - I had some erratic crashes in guildwars until I updated the onboard AC97 sound drivers to 3.91a, that was the only issue.

xploit
08-18-2006, 07:47 PM
thinkingbear:
I use the multiprocessor HAL and have never had any of the issues other people seem to have. But I don't know for a fact that is why, maybe someone here might know.

How do you guys do that? and where do you get it from.?

iLLestOne
08-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks a lot for the guide! I have been noticing slow downs with my x2 4400 @ 2.8ghz that I didn't notice with my 3200+ at stock. I know there was something wrong!

I just installed everything and now will do some testing. Thanks again!

iLLestOne
08-21-2006, 08:44 PM
SWEET! this might have just been a lucky run or something, BUT....
HL2:Lost Coast VST
Everything at high, reflect all, full bloom (highest settings possible) @ 1280x960

114.26 - cat 6.7
110.97 - cat 6.8
133.12 - cat 6.8 AND driver, hotfix, optimizer

Thanks again!

iLLestOne
08-22-2006, 02:11 AM
I wrote to AMD about the 1.32 driver because I was confused if I should be using it or not. Here is my email to them:

I have the AMD64 X2 4800 cpu. I see you have a driver on the AMD website, version 1.32 (for Windows XP). I have questions/concerns about this driver I don't see addressed there or on your forums. It states in the description that this driver allows the system to automatically adjust cpu speed and voltages. The description does not specifically say "Cool-n-Quiet" but it seems that what it is. I would not think this would be the driver to use if one is overclocking. I mean, why would you want the system to be messing with cpu speed and voltage when you want it to stay set to whatever the overclocked speed is? I'm not the only one confused about this as a lot of people do overclock your cpu's. It would be nice if you would add some information about this in the driver description. I would like to hear from you if I should be using this driver if overclocking or if I should just use the stock Windows XP driver. Thanks

Here is their response back to me:

Dear Sir, Thank you for the advice regarding information for the driver. In case you are overclocking this processor you do not need to use this driver, since it will change voltage/temp. according special table which the driver will refer to. Please note you will loose your warranty with AMD in case of processor overclocking.

Best regards,
AMD ETSC Engineer

Wait, so if your oc'in, this means that you should install everything BUT the driver!? Would that work?

I installed everything and my comp seems to be running better then ever...but I oc (hopefully will be 3.0ghz prime stable tonight :) ) and don't want this "driver" to be turning my clocks/volts down....

djtierta
08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
The new Optimizer makes a huge difference.

I previously had the XP hotfix and the AMD drivers and was still experiencing problems. Formatted the hard drive (I was overdue) and installed the 3 things and it works beautifully.

This is on SP2, test app was EverQuest.
For the record, there is no need to manually edit the boot.ini file. One of these files will automatically add the /pmtimer switch.

GAR
08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
SWEET! this might have just been a lucky run or something, BUT....
HL2:Lost Coast VST
Everything at high, reflect all, full bloom (highest settings possible) @ 1280x960

114.26 - cat 6.7
110.97 - cat 6.8
133.12 - cat 6.8 AND driver, hotfix, optimizer

Thanks again!

Yeah the hotfix is the one mainly giving the performance increase, ive done some tests on my amd system, and with the hotfix enabled performance is better, especially in the SOURCE engine, from the tests i did thats what i noticed.

iLLestOne
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Hmm, just uninstalled the driver (since I'm oc'ing) and ran vst...got 115fps.

Maybe I'll reinstall the driver and see what I get...I guess the 133fps might have just been a fluke....

Will everything else run fine even if I don't have the driver installed? Also, can I just reinstall the driver, or do I have to uninstall everything, and then reinstall it all?

GAR
08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Hmm, just uninstalled the driver (since I'm oc'ing) and ran vst...got 115fps.

Maybe I'll reinstall the driver and see what I get...I guess the 133fps might have just been a fluke....

Will everything else run fine even if I don't have the driver installed? Also, can I just reinstall the driver, or do I have to uninstall everything, and then reinstall it all?

The amd drivers are recomended for the speed ups and slow downs in games, looks like a fast forwarding of a movie........without drivers you might run into this problem, for example Need for Speed most wanted runs into this problem without the amd drivers, good luck.

iLLestOne
08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
The amd drivers are recomended for the speed ups and slow downs in games, looks like a fast forwarding of a movie........without drivers you might run into this problem, for example Need for Speed most wanted runs into this problem without the amd drivers, good luck.

In that case, can I just reinstall the driver, or do I need to uninstall everything and then reinstall EVERYTHING?

iLLestOne
08-26-2006, 04:55 PM
In that case, can I just reinstall the driver, or do I need to uninstall everything and then reinstall EVERYTHING?
anyone????

GAR
08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
anyone????

yeah just install the drivers bud, and you should be fine.

breakfromyou
08-27-2006, 01:47 AM
this has probably been asked, but if you install the dual core optimiser, would there be a point to installing the hotfix? if so, any performance differences?

daboogas94e
08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
love the walkthrough GAR, installed it on my Opty 165, A8N32 SLI-Deluxe and things are great!!!!

GAR
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks bro........from my personal results the hotfix gave me a performance increase, the amd optimizer gave me nothing, but thats my personal expierience. good luck.

daboogas94e
08-28-2006, 05:52 AM
i think it helped my performance some...not very noticeable unless u really watch it.

Nightwiz
08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the info it helped tons...

:cool:

iLLestOne
08-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Hmm, I'm getting really weird slowdowns since I upgraded from a 3200+ to a x2 4400+....For example, I clicked on "calculator" and it took about 30sec to open (when cpu and ram was at stock). Sometimes IE takes about 30sec to open (when cpu is oc'ed and when stock).

I opened up Task Manager and the cpu is only doing about 10% at most, so why would it take soo long to open up? I have a raptor and it's defragged..ran antivirus and antispyware, what can it be? Do I need to reinstall windows since I'm on a dualcore cpu now? (i'm also running zone alarm suite, if that makes a diff).

I had these problems before and after installing everything shown in this thread....

GAR
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Hmm, I'm getting really weird slowdowns since I upgraded from a 3200+ to a x2 4400+....For example, I clicked on "calculator" and it took about 30sec to open (when cpu and ram was at stock). Sometimes IE takes about 30sec to open (when cpu is oc'ed and when stock).

I opened up Task Manager and the cpu is only doing about 10% at most, so why would it take soo long to open up? I have a raptor and it's defragged..ran antivirus and antispyware, what can it be? Do I need to reinstall windows since I'm on a dualcore cpu now? (i'm also running zone alarm suite, if that makes a diff).

I had these problems before and after installing everything shown in this thread....

Doesnt seem to be a Hardware or driver issues, more like an OS problem, reinstall windows, best thing to do, good luck.

TEDY
08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I just mounted X2 3800+ , how should I test it to determine if I need all this drivers,hotfix etc????

SunFlowerSeeds
08-30-2006, 11:08 PM
Install the driver, hotfix and optimizer only when your program behaviour abnormally.

For me, it does not make any different in term of performance and stability, whether I install it or not.

I just mounted X2 3800+ , how should I test it to determine if I need all this drivers,hotfix etc????

iLLestOne
08-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Doesnt seem to be a Hardware or driver issues, more like an OS problem, reinstall windows, best thing to do, good luck.
Do you think I might be able to get by w/ just repairing windows? I have a lot of programs and don't want to have to install them all again :(

stereo55
08-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Long time lurker here , but seldom post .

My story ...

Iam using Winx64 and have a Opty 165 , with a previous AsRock Duel , XFX7800GT , and never encountered the problem before .

BUT .... I made recent changes to my system , to an Abit AN8 32X and Evga 7900GT KO (and full reformat of drive) ; I definitly encountered major slow downs in games (mostly BF2) after long play times .

Did all the suggested goodies on page one of this thread and .... BINGO ....problem(s) fixed ! . My brother also had problems with his 165 and Abit AN8-SLi , Evga 7900GT KO SC ( in Winx64) and his problems have also seemed to vanish applying the fix , etc.

BTW , Ive tried using both a "0" and/or "1" in the hotfix/regedit and found no change or differance between the two in requards to performance (atleast non so far using the fix for the last few days) .

I originaly thought Winx64 may have been imunue to this , but looks like I was wrong .

Anyway ....
Just wanted to say THANK YOU (from my bro and myself :woot: :clap: :banana: )

GAR
09-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Do you think I might be able to get by w/ just repairing windows? I have a lot of programs and don't want to have to install them all again :(

You can give it a shot.......its a 50/50 chance. good luck.

GAR
09-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Long time lurker here , but seldom post .

My story ...

Iam using Winx64 and have a Opty 165 , with a previous AsRock Duel , XFX7800GT , and never encountered the problem before .

BUT .... I made recent changes to my system , to an Abit AN8 32X and Evga 7900GT KO (and full reformat of drive) ; I definitly encountered major slow downs in games (mostly BF2) after long play times .

Did all the suggested goodies on page one of this thread and .... BINGO ....problem(s) fixed ! . My brother also had problems with his 165 and Abit AN8-SLi , Evga 7900GT KO SC ( in Winx64) and his problems have also seemed to vanish applying the fix , etc.

BTW , Ive tried using both a "0" and/or "1" in the hotfix/regedit and found no change or differance between the two in requards to performance (atleast non so far using the fix for the last few days) .

I originaly thought Winx64 may have been imunue to this , but looks like I was wrong .

Anyway ....
Just wanted to say THANK YOU (from my bro and myself :woot: :clap: :banana: )

Your welcome, glad to be a help.

pc131
09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Your welcome, glad to be a help.
anyone here has KB896256 patch for Polish Windows XP?

file: WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-PLK.exe

RPGWiZaRD
09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say I've been following this guide to install the cpu drivers since I got this Opty 165 some weeks ago and doing it exactly as in this post does also perform best om my system, it offers the smoothest gameplay (no stuttering) with no "throttling" at all and good performance. I've benched and tried some cpu heavy demanding (PCSX2 ps2 emu :)) stuff to try this out. What I didn't notice at 1st tho was that there was different drivers for Opteron and X2... to me the Opteron driver actually seems better for my Opty 165 even tho it shouldn't matter you'd think. Maybe would be a good idea to put a note that there's different drivers available for Opteron and X2 as I used to install X2 driver at first as I just "followed" the links in that post and missed that.

What's also funny is how BF2 for example gives lots of stuttering without the drivers installed, I thought it was of course due to 1GB RAM but when following these steps to my suprise I can play BF2 with even NO stuttering with MAXIMUM quality settings in 1152x864 (this 17" doesn't need any higher really :/) even with my 1GB ram kit. The gameplay even in this buggy game reminds me of good ol' UT1 or CoD1 engine with these drivers, now that tells something. So glad some1 really put some effort into this. Cheers GAR. :toast:

TEDY
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Did and it helped, no glitches anymore

Thank you GAR.

GAR
09-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Glad to hear so many people got help from this :toast: :clap:

iLLestOne
09-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Do we need the "/usepmtimer" if we don't install the AMD drivers? (I oc)

iLLestOne
09-06-2006, 08:18 PM
And btw, if you have Zonealarm, CLOSE IT before trying...it messed up the optimizer install...pos zonealarm!

GAR
09-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Do we need the "/usepmtimer" if we don't install the AMD drivers? (I oc)

Yeah the /usepmtimer helps, and is recommended.

sithdarklord
09-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Hi, i've read all the pages but i've a question. I've changed from a 3700+ to a 4400+ on XP Pro. Installed the new X2 4400+ fine, Windows has changed to multiprocessor, reboot, install amd x2 drivers, reboot, install dual core optimizer and reboot. After a few days i've saw this thread and i'm thinking in send a e-mail to microsoft to see if they can send me the hotfix in portuguese, but in my boot.ini i already have the "/usepmtimer" line. What does it meant? I just need the zip file in page 1 or i still need the hotfix?

Another question, today i was checkin something and i've noticed that the dual core optimizer wasn't running. It's checked to start at windows startup though. Any explanation to that?

Thank's in advance and excuze my poor english.

GAR
09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey bud....The hotfix is needed along with the registry modification, if MS is not able to provide you with the HOTFIX, i think you should be fine with the optimizer and the /usepmtimer.........the hotfix might boost your system performance tho, if you are able to get it in your lang. install it for sure, good luck buddy!

sithdarklord
09-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Ok, thanks, gonna see if can find the hotfix in my lang. And about the other question? I remember to see the optimizer running cause i was curious to see how much resources spend (104kb) but now it's not running and i didn't changed anything in bios or something:confused:

oqvist
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Is the hotfix included in service pack 2?

I cant install that file since I have another language then US :(.

Does anyone have a link to a european version?

arisythila
09-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I have SP2 aswell, I had to load up the hotfix.

~Mikie

GAR
09-11-2006, 11:51 PM
hey......SP2 does not include the hotfix, SP3 will include this hotfix.

Nights Dawn
09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi all ... thanks you for the information.

However when I unplugged my Opteron 144 and installed my Socket 939 4400+ Windows XP automatically picked it up. I then installed the AMD Dual Core optimizer program, which added the extra commad to the boot.ini.

That's all I have done, I haven't run the Micorsoft Dual Core hotfix, nor the registry edit. However everything seems to work fine, I can use both cores and programs such as DVD Shrink/VirtualDub use both cores.

However any advice would be great, should I try the other methods? Or is this a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it?

GAR
09-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi all ... thanks you for the information.

However when I unplugged my Opteron 144 and installed my Socket 939 4400+ Windows XP automatically picked it up. I then installed the AMD Dual Core optimizer program, which added the extra commad to the boot.ini.

That's all I have done, I haven't run the Micorsoft Dual Core hotfix, nor the registry edit. However everything seems to work fine, I can use both cores and programs such as DVD Shrink/VirtualDub use both cores.

However any advice would be great, should I try the other methods? Or is this a case of if it's not broken, don't fix it?

Since everything is working fine, then you dont need the hotfix, but in some cases the hotfix might give soe performance increase.

Viktor
09-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I've done the tweaks you mentioned in this thread, but after installing dual-core optimizer the computer hard-locks. It worked without any problems before I installed the optimizer, should i cry over this matter or is it alright without?

GAR
09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I've done the tweaks you mentioned in this thread, but after installing dual-core optimizer the computer hard-locks. It worked without any problems before I installed the optimizer, should i cry over this matter or is it alright without?

If the hotfix works you should be fine, i havnt noticed anything positive from the AMD optimizer.

kimbo
09-16-2006, 06:34 PM
This worked great for my X2 4600, but when I installed a 3800 venice single core it was a bit of a pain to uninstall all the dual core drivers. I am switching back to a X2 3800 so hopefully my system will receive it nicely.

Moto450
09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
I just went from a Opteron 148 too a X2 4400 , I did the fixs and its seems to hang a bit in loading stuff @ times and i did all the fixes.

Im wondering if i do a Fresh install of XP and the fixes if most of the bugs i think i have, will go away ? They are smallbugs, but it does not seem that its running both cores as good as it should. I think it should be much Smoother Running having 2 cores and they do showup as both running in my panel.

So do you think Reformating will make this run much better ?

Raybo
09-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Might be a heat problem, you can't OC a dual core the same as a single core.

Just a thought,

Raybo

:toast:

kimbo
09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
I read that you the general guidelines for OCing a dual core are pretty much same, aside from voltage limits. What else do you have to do differently?

Viktor
09-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Might be a heat problem, you can't OC a dual core the same as a single core.

Just a thought,

Raybo

Well, I'm using a naked X2 3800+ with watercooling ( storm block) so heat shoulnd't be a problem.

NightCrawler™
09-21-2006, 06:03 AM
For those who are unable to set ACPI Multiprocessor in the device manager after a single core upgrade you can now use attached tool...

Chr0nicles, a Dutch forum member at www.hardware.info, has created a tool which lets you change the HAL on the fly, something you can't do without reinstalling XP...

kapster
09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
thank you OP.

I followed the instructions on post 1 for the 165 i just got. its OC'd as well.

no real 3d improvements i can tell yet, but apps and windows feel a lot zippier.