PDA

View Full Version : Cross Over Cables

gobbo
01-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I know how to make your standard UTP Cat5 patch cable, but i need a cross over cable to connect my Cable medom to my router.

Can somebody please tell me what colour order the cables need to go in to make a cross over cable?

Cheers,
Gobbo

gobbo
01-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Ah, i'll give it a go and get back to ya!

Cheers

jaslee
01-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by gobbo
Hi,

I know how to make your standard UTP Cat5 patch cable, but i need a cross over cable to connect my Cable medom to my router.

Can somebody please tell me what colour order the cables need to go in to make a cross over cable?

Cheers,
Gobbo

Hopefully this picture can help you out!

JBELL
01-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Ethernet 10BaseT or 100BaseT Crossover Cable

Purchase your crossover cable direct from GCC.

Here are instructions for building an Ethernet 10BaseT or 100BaseT crossover cable.

The pinouts for an Ethernet crossover cable are as follows:
Connector 1
Pinout Connector 2
Pinout Diagram of crossover pinout
1 3
2 6
3 1
4 OPEN
5 OPEN
6 2
7 OPEN
8 OPEN
So pin 1 -> pin 3, pin 2 -> pin 6, pin 3 -> pin 1, and pin 6 -> pin 2. All of the other pins are left open.

These instructions can also be used to purchase an Ethernet crossover cable to network your computer and printer together. Don't just buy any RJ-45 cable; the internal pinout for a crossover cable is different from the pinout of an RJ-45 cable normally used in Ethernet. Make sure the packaging is clearly labeled "crossover cable", or have someone create the cable for you.