PDA

View Full Version : Crashing Xbox360s?

Starscream
11-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Jsgongwon, one of our forum members, reported that his newly bought Xbox 360 keeps crashing while playing Project Gotham Racing 3 in single player mode.
He's playing with the default settings, and apparently his Xbox crashes even before the end of the first lap. Crashes on Xbox Live and on startup occur too. He included screenshots of the crashed Xbox 360

to read the complete story with links to pics etc here:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFkZkkkyEHasmrPqu.php

a link to a few thumbnail pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/
looks like bad GPu or GPu Ram.

And seeing its more then 1 person i think microsoft has some explaining todo.

i had a link with a video ofit but its have been removed

Kadaj
11-23-2005, 08:28 AM
the XBOX 1 also had some problems. A faulty power supply would cause shortages and even fires in some cases, the fault was never really published in large amounts, but it wasent in isolated instances either.

Starscream
11-23-2005, 08:31 AM
yeah i remember that PSU problem, they let peopel exchange them etc but cause they didnt really announce it in a big way i doubt many people made use ofit cause it was only a small amount of peole that had problems with that PSU of the old xbox if i remember.

but this time it seems to b all kinds of difrent errors the people get etc.
maybe some people r right and them small heatsinks on teh GPU/CPU are to small.

Frisch
11-23-2005, 08:35 AM
As i wrote in the other Thread about the XBOX 360, there has also been reported warm restarts.

Kadaj
11-23-2005, 08:41 AM
but this time it seems to b all kinds of difrent errors the people get etc.
maybe some people r right and them small heatsinks on teh GPU/CPU are to small.
both chips are 90nm, but a 48 pixel pipeline 500mhz gpu and a dual core 2ghz processor still run relatively hot. Mabye the problem will first be resolved with larger heatsinks, and then eventualy with the switch to 65nm. . . all assuming this is heat related.

Tim
11-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Microsoft has a big problem if users have these problems...if let's say 4 out of 10 have problems....it's gonna be horrible...can't believe it to be honest...looks like overheating...they should have tested these boxes to death...

chunkylover77
11-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree with you Tim. This would be a PR nightmare for MS. Basically hand the next gen console race to Sony before they even launched. They need a huge holiday season to give this the big push it needs. This could be disastrous if it is a wide spread problem.

Tim
11-23-2005, 09:57 AM
I agree with you Tim. This would be a PR nightmare for MS. Basically hand the next gen console race to Sony before they even launched. They need a huge holiday season to give this the big push it needs. This could be disastrous if it is a wide spread problem.

And remember again how many people want to sue Microsoft? :p: :D

I personally just cannot believe this is happening...this isn't one user who has problems...it's day 1 of the sales...and how many noobs are buying one? I don't think they have the slighest idea where to look for answers... (ie forums)

:gamer: :explode:

DilTech
11-23-2005, 10:13 AM
This is what happens when you buy a $400 pre-built cpu and expect it to play games... It crashes :owned:

I'd have to agree with it sounding like overheating... Aren't they trying to cool everything in that little tiny box passively? I'm sure they tested the hell out of the system, but some people live in abnormally hot climates/areas, and they probably didn't test with ambient temps of 30C+.

Perhaps they should slap an XP-120 on the cpu and a Silencer on the gpu, then they'd be fine. They need to realize they aren't going to be able to run consoles silent anymore. It's just not possible with this line of hardware.

Either way, to those of you who don't remember, this happened last round with the Xbox itself overheating. If you remember the original models, the displays for them needed special ventiliation to stop from hard-locking due to heat.

Finally, to those of you who didn't know, All first wave systems have had problems since the release of the playstation 1(except the dreamcast).

PS1 - 2 years to death syndrome(lens went out after less than 2 years on the first wave)
N64 - Memorycard random erasal sydrome
PS2 - Polarity of the lense would shift after so much usage, causing it to no longer read DVD's. This occured after about a year on certain systems.
Xbox - Overheating syndrome.
Gamecube - Cheap eject button, it can easily become jammed if pressed at the slightest angle.

Finally, the xbox360 - Overheating syndrome volume 2!

onewingedangel
11-23-2005, 12:23 PM
If its merely overheating, then all microsoft have to do is stick a higher rpm.cfm fan on the back, as the fan cools both the cpu and gpu. I'll take stability over quietness.

somehow I doubt its 'simply' overheating though.

Starscream
11-23-2005, 01:14 PM
overheating sounds logical cause them heatsinks r damn small.

but theinq has a small (nothing saying) article over that microsoft wont publish any info on the power usage of the xbox360. so maybe to much power usage wich fecks up the PSU orso dunno am only trying ot bring in some random info :)

but them checkered screens arent they often caused by the RAM on the grafiks card thats broken with PCs?

Hicks
11-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Over-heating though? Such a rookie mistake, could MS really let that happen? Geesh that is pathetic.

DilTech
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145847

This isn't an isolated incident, there's reports on almost every major gaming forum of dead xboxes... It's not just overheating either...
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=987&topic=24742037
There's a list of the problems so far exhibited by the 360.

Tim
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/microsoft/xbox360/therm.jpg

You guys spot the GPU in that pic? now it's 90nm...but that doesn't mean it doesn't run hot...and the Cd-rom drive also sits over it.....two memory chips not even cooled... :eh: :eh:

DilTech
11-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Wow...tim...they aren't even COOLING THE RAM!

Tim
11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow...tim...they aren't even COOLING THE RAM!

lol you'r fast, I just edited the post :D Those two memory chips aren't cooled! whoa.....now that get's frickin hot as we all know... :eek:

yasoumalaka
11-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Yo Xbox is weak. I tried playing it and I was noobified. I was like b the memory is too hot its messin' with the micro yo. I was like yo where's the mouse. Yo dats fo noobs yo.

Damn thats insane Xboxes shouldn't fail. I want to play perfect dark though.

Maybe we need some H20 I would try it if I had some cash to burn. Can whoever here on the forums with xtra cash please mod an Xbox to be all pimped out with the H20 cooling and take some pics for my next desktop background.

Dissolved
11-23-2005, 03:20 PM
i believe the crashing is software related not a heating issue.

DilTech
11-23-2005, 03:36 PM
It happens with multiple games, not just one. It's happened with regular xbox games played on it as well dissolved. It's not software!

ahmad
11-23-2005, 03:44 PM
It could be the power supply. I remember HardOCP said it was a 203W unit :stick: . Video card alone could easily use up more than half of that. And if you don't have enough voltage (or memory doesn't have enough voltage to be exact) you would get similar artifacts.

Frisch
11-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Here's a Link to a movie showing a game crash.
You have to download the movie. XBOX 360 Crash (http://www.gamershell.com/download_11625.shtml)

Thorry
11-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Dudes, Microsoft produced and shipped about 100 million X-Boxes, they have a couple of failures not even critical failures... big deal.

There isn't a company in the world that can produce 100% good electronics, there is always abuse during shipping which may kill some. There will also be flaws in producing the stuff which isn't picked up during testing.

People are just searching for a reason to bash on Microsoft it seems. I don't think the XBox 360 is a great machine, but nagging about a couple of failures among million of systems is just stupid...

Dissolved
11-23-2005, 04:58 PM
ok, if its heat, then wouldnt it just lock up?

when computers get hot, they reboot or lockup. they usualy dont error. erroring is usualy software or excess overcloking..

I could be wrong, but thats how i always thought about it..

Dudes, Microsoft produced and shipped about 100 million X-Boxes, they have a couple of failures not even critical failures... big deal.

There isn't a company in the world that can produce 100% good electronics, there is always abuse during shipping which may kill some. There will also be flaws in producing the stuff which isn't picked up during testing.

People are just searching for a reason to bash on Microsoft it seems. I don't think the XBox 360 is a great machine, but nagging about a couple of failures among million of systems is just stupid...

Good post, i aggree about that.

you can blame one thing on the xboxs that were damaged in shipping. Not sure how many, but a few were cracked, and weither they work or not, you wouldnt get a replacement untill 06 most likely. i read somewhere M$ next shipment would be in jan. but im sure they would have to have another shipment by xmas.

Starscream
11-23-2005, 05:12 PM
@Thorry
microsoft DIDNT ship 100millions of Xbox360 (they wish).
they havent yet been launched over the entire world.
in the countrys that it did already launch it not everyone who wants one has one cause of microsoft wants to have steady sales (or however u wanna call it).
so there could b way more faulty xbox360s

it also doesnt matter that its only a minority of the people who suffer from these problems.
what does mater is that alot of people are having problems (wich maybe all got the same reason) and if the reason for these problems is found and if its something that microsoft could have easily prevented they deserve to be slapped.

cause how would u feel if u put down ur hard earned money on this box, and u finaly after long waiting got it and now the fecking thing wont work.

ahmad
11-23-2005, 05:30 PM

Very nice :clap:

It seems like its the "natural" thing to do. Rise up and fight the most powerful software company in the world and everything they stand for. I think we should be more open minded: they run the software world and they are currently dominating in the "fastest console" market.

The other big thing is I see these lines, how come I don't see the xbox360 console and why are all the pictures dark?

I am not saying its not happening, I am saying its a very real possibility that Sony or some other microsoft haters are pulling stuff like this. Why would it surprise you if it was? Internet is the fastest way to spread fairy tales and false problems. I mean, I could take my xbox right now, stick it under my heater and show you that its giving errors....

Maybe someone should call up EBGames and ask them just how many replacements have people called for and how many units have they sold. That would give us an idea.

mr_knowitall15
11-23-2005, 05:49 PM
both chips are 90nm, but a 48 pixel pipeline 500mhz gpu and a dual core 2ghz processor still run relatively hot. Mabye the problem will first be resolved with larger heatsinks, and then eventualy with the switch to 65nm. . . all assuming this is heat related.
umm what exactly are you talking about? First of all, from what ive read, the GPU is a unified architecture, and the 48 "pipelines" arent really the same as youd think about on the desktop video cards. Thats not a big deal though, and im sure it puts off a fair amount of heat. The CPU however, is a TRIPLE core, 3.2Ghz beast. Not a dual core 2 ghz.. :stick: theres no doubt that that thing puts out the heat. However, i agree with what someone else said about there being a few bad units. I went to a friends house last night to check it out since i didnt get one yet. We played a little madden 06, then a LOT of Perfect Dark Zero, and the machine was running for 8 hours while I was there. I have no idea how long he was playing it before i got there. It ran flawlessy, we had no probs whatsoever. Im impressed with it and realllly want one. PDZ is fun as hell online. :woot:

MRBIGSHOT
11-23-2005, 06:01 PM
400 dollars and you cant exchange it cause there is no more, ouch

DilTech
11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Very nice :clap:

It seems like its the "natural" thing to do. Rise up and fight the most powerful software company in the world and everything they stand for. I think we should be more open minded: they run the software world and they are currently dominating in the "fastest console" market.

The other big thing is I see these lines, how come I don't see the xbox360 console and why are all the pictures dark?

I am not saying its not happening, I am saying its a very real possibility that Sony or some other microsoft haters are pulling stuff like this. Why would it surprise you if it was? Internet is the fastest way to spread fairy tales and false problems. I mean, I could take my xbox right now, stick it under my heater and show you that its giving errors....

Maybe someone should call up EBGames and ask them just how many replacements have people called for and how many units have they sold. That would give us an idea.

Well, I can confirm it's occuring. My brother bought one, came with a faulty hard-drive. The controller's "left" also has to be pushed REALLY hard for it to register that it was even touched...

As for the other problems, they definitely exist, those error codes are legit.

Starscream
11-23-2005, 06:18 PM
@MRBIGSHOT

exactly what i mean.
like alot of people who pre-ordered got to wait til the 2nd shipment so i doubt the stores got any left. so to be short u feel crappy if it happens to you.

[XC] leviathan18
11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
always @ launch there are some problems...

remember the PSP flying disk dying lcd or bad buttons or all in one now doenst happen the first batch is like trial and error they are learning how to produce this in mass even large corporations make mistakes they are moved by humans you know

Think
11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
damn...I think my son is having the same problem playing his racing game.

Think
11-23-2005, 07:22 PM
What the hell is going on...now the wireless controls don't work at times!

ahmad
11-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, I can confirm it's occuring. My brother bought one, came with a faulty hard-drive. The controller's "left" also has to be pushed REALLY hard for it to register that it was even touched...

As for the other problems, they definitely exist, those error codes are legit.

Yeah error codes. My "rant" was more directed towards those complaining about artifacting :)

STEvil
11-23-2005, 07:46 PM
artifacting would likely be overheating ram...

as to ms shipping a lot. Nope. Friend works at futureshop (owned by EB now in case you dont know) and MS is buying their hardware for them (as in video cards etc) because they didnt ship enough units to Futureshop to cover all the pre-orders..

On a side note, he also told me the display unit was watercooled. I didnt bother to confirm this, but i'll be into town in a week or so and take a look for the heck of it.......

craig588
11-23-2005, 07:59 PM
always @ launch there are some problems...

remember the PSP flying disk dying lcd or bad buttons or all in one now doenst happen the first batch is like trial and error they are learning how to produce this in mass even large corporations make mistakes they are moved by humans you know

That PSP thing isn't a defect. It's just momentum, it can't be stopped. I can do it with any model PSP you show me. (Then there are some people that can't do it at all, it's not hard, I can shoot it well over 10 feet)

sinister1st
11-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I HATED microsofts first release of Xbox I hope the new ones are perfect. They should be with all that $ Micro$oft makes. Geez you dont remember the bad power supplies AND dvd roms. Well I HAD to do the old pot tweak or mine wouldnt work and It started to do it a while AFTER I bought it so it was fun doing the tweak but the thing should have been good to go from the gate. :toast:

old pot tweak http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thompson_potentiometer.htm

perkam
11-24-2005, 07:51 AM
This has less to do with news and more to do flaws with the console itself...Therefore:

--Thread Moved--

Perkam

saaya
11-24-2005, 03:36 PM
i say its the os... that explains that old titles crashed too... i really doubt its a heat issue, if the hardware gets over a certain temp i bet the fans go spin at high speeds and cause a lot of noise, but the hardware should stay at ok temps...

or its a hardware problem, unstable rails, unstable caps...
if somebody has this problem just open the window and play with some chilled air, if the thing still crashes we will know its not a heat issue :D

saaya
11-24-2005, 03:41 PM
edit: looking at the pics im pretty sure its a hardware issue.
vpu, video memory or maybe the video output/drm chip?

rcillig
11-24-2005, 09:05 PM
anyone else find it funny that everytime MS releases something there is terrible problems that fallow !

HelloIDistance
11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Hah, I wonder what is causing this. When I was asking my friend who waited 8 hours in line for this how it was he told me it didnt work and it kept crashing, he was hella pissed, won't be able to get one until probably 06' :rolleyes:

Wonder how many people this effected?

Tim
11-25-2005, 05:54 AM
Xbox 360 crash fix found

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

You guys are not gonna believe this :p: :D

Jochenp
11-25-2005, 10:06 AM
LOL! This is just rediculous! If it actually is the psu, almost 1/4 will have this problem!
I allways put external psu's behind my desk or something, and it isn't very cool behind my desk, so if I had one, it would probably overheat too.
Microsoft should've found this flawn though, it's soo obvious!

rcillig
11-25-2005, 12:22 PM
lmao that is funny as hell !

Think
11-25-2005, 12:33 PM
omfg...thats hilarious :)

alexio
11-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Xbox 360 crash fix found

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

You guys are not gonna believe this :p: :D

:banana:

First thing I thought when I saw the external psu was that it must get hot without a proper fan.

It could have been like this:

BILL: The Xbox 360 seems rather noisy :confused: .

Let's skip the psu fan to make it more quite (and cheaper, LOL) :D

ahmad
11-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Could also cover it and stick it outside. I am sure its colder outdoors :p:

Tim
11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
Could also cover it and stick it outside. I am sure its colder outdoors :p:

Oh I can just see it before me : DICE action on Xbxo360 powerbrick....immense stability!!1! :woot:

ahmad
11-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Oh I can just see it before me : DICE action on Xbxo360 powerbrick....immense stability!!1! :woot:

:slobber:

perry_78
11-26-2005, 09:34 AM
LOL

Now I'm just curious why M$ didn't come across this during their testing :confused:

Paladin
11-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Now I'm just curious why M$ didn't come across this during their testing :confused:

Testing? Only testing M$ does is "outsourced" to the consumers. :shakes:

I haven't seen any overheating problems myself, even after ~6 hours. The p/s is behind all the A/V spaghetti too.