PDA

View Full Version : How to increase bandwidth???

Tweaked!
01-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Was just wondering how to boost my bandwidth. If I'm getting 3.8mbps with one nic crad installed in my rig, would I be able to see an increase by installing another one and running two? And my next question is, is that capatible or will it work? How would I go about setting it up?
Basically what I'm trying to get at is I have a great download speed, but my upload speeds are substantially less. I'm only getting around 250 - 325 kbps up. I'd like to figure out how to increase those uploads speeds because I'm looking into trying to run my rig as a gaming server. Possibly even more server needs in the future, who knows??? :)

jaslee
01-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Installing another nic card wouldn't really increase your bandwidth but replacing it with a high end card may make a difference. If you have a 10/100 nic, your card is capable of 100mbps, but the only time you would probably ever reach this is in your local lan. Sounds to me the only way to increease your speed is to tweak your broadband modem or buy a T1 line!!! Talk to your ISP, they may be able to increase your bandwidth for some extra $$. Also, I've heard of changing some TCP/IP settings in the registry that can increase bandwidth, but I haven't tried that before. Go to www.dslreports.com and they have some decent tips on getting the most out of your connection.

Tweaked!
01-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, I kind of thought it wouldn't make a difference but someone else mentioned it to me and spured the thought. So one nic should be able to handle server traffic to a extent though right? I know that 275kbps isn't bad, and it would probably be more than I need, I'm just trying to learn more about the whole server concept. I've already tweaked my registry settings to reduce my latency and increase bandwidth, before that I was only getting 1.5mbps down and around 175 - 200 kbps up. I guess I'll go do some more reading on how to tweak upload latencies and bandwidth.:cool:

jaslee
01-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, from the numbers you just posted, sounds like your on the right track. Those are damn good increases. You might be close to your limit though. What kind of server are you planning to run? Also, who is your ISP?

Tweaked!
01-14-2003, 10:31 AM
For now, I'm basically just trying to learn about servers and was wanting to run a UT2003 server and possibly running a mirror site for work (even though I'll have to reconfigure my router to allow that). But i am wanting to figure this stuff out for future possible needs, the wife wants to start a small operation of trying to sell crafts and quilts. As far as my provider, I'm using Time warner road runner. I have gotten into reading some of the stuff over at dslreports, and I've started reading a older (sorta antiquated but still has good info) "mastering Internet information server for NT". Not bad, serves as a decent start for the concept. I just don't know squat about servers.;):D

JBELL
01-14-2003, 10:45 AM
I need to increase my upload to xbox live servers.

jaslee
01-14-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm not a master at servers yet, but I have gathered some useful information along the way. Let me know if I can help you with anything else!

Tweaked!
01-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Cool, appreciate the help jaslee:cool:

pulverizer
01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Are you on a cable connection? I did not see that you mentioned it in your previous posts. But if you do there is always some form of upload cap that the cable company has on the connection, most of the time it is like 384K. This may be your absolute limit for you. It seems as if this is what you are running into as you said your upload speeds get about as high as that limit. The cap only limits the uplaoding speed, not the downloading. I hope this helps you out.

Tweaked!
01-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what the deal is. That's why I was wondering if two nics or more would make the uploading process go a little better. Even though my reported speed through a speedtest says those speeds, I never really see it hit those kind of speeds. btw, yes I'm on cable.:cool: