PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive woes....

K.I.T.T.
11-21-2005, 10:40 AM
OK...after changing to a 3000+ venice and dfi ultra d, my hdd is having problems. Its a maxtor diamond max 10 300 GB one with 16 mb cache. Its allright once its up and running, but if i cold boot, most of the time it fails to spin up :(. Sometimes it will spin up, but wont be detected, but you can tell its spinning at a much higher speed than normal due to a louder higher pitched noise from the motor.
The funny thing is, clearing the cmos seems to work....although, once you lear the cmos and it spins up, then later if you cold boot, it still has the problem at stock settings :rolleyes:
Also, having it just connected to the power cable will make it spin up all the time as long as the SATA data cable isnt connected....now you may think the SATA cable is borked, but it still doesnt explain the higher RPM....And why is it detected when i clear the cmos?
Should i RMA it? Thanks for your help :)

AJF
11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
I think it might be a drive issue. Backup all your stuff, RMA (hopefully you have an old drive that will make due until you get the replacement) your drive and hope for better results.

Edit: Wait...did you change your power supply? What is your BIOS revision? It could possibly be a motherboard issue.