PDA

View Full Version : help speed up lappy

tuxlinux
01-13-2003, 08:08 PM
this should be easy for you guys. I just bought a toshiba satelite 1115-s103 laptop with 256 mb mem, celeron 1.5, mobility radeon. and am now turning to you guys to see how I can spped the thing up a little to get better frame rates in dungeon siege and so forth. currently I am only getting 11-15 fps in ds. any help would be appreciated. just for da info I am not looking to overclock it but just need little tips to make xp home a little faster for mobile gaming. Already have a amd 1800+ on a msi kt333 ultra aru mobo with 2 gig mem and 2 wd 100 8 mb specials operating and a cool 120 f had it oced but stepped it down when I took it to a lan party at skewl nd never sped it back up.

felix88
01-13-2003, 11:10 PM
more memory might help. you'll also want to kill any background programs that toshiba may have installed.

other than that, laptops aren't exactly upgradeable.

tuxlinux
01-14-2003, 02:12 PM
allready have the background programs killed and I have orded another stick of 256 for it and was wondering if there would be any software tips that might make it better like with tweak xp and mabey sliming down on some of winxp homes processes

gobbo
01-14-2003, 02:44 PM
Yeah, i 'll have a look for the links to some service descriptions so you know what to shutdown.

I'd recomend format and re-install of the Os as that will remove all of the Toshiba stuff that was installed, if you ca'nt do that then defrag is the best bet to speed up disk times, may have a slight effect on 3D Performance.

I'll pm you with the links if i can find them.

PimpJack
01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
u can try rage3d tweak for ur radeon. It should oc slightly if its supported, also the tweak utility has a lot of neat options. I would try to do a fresh install of xp. Just format the drive and install a new xp and only the progs u need. I don't know how bad toshiba is with crap but i know of hp laptops with ~7gigs off the shelf. That includes nothing that u would use just crap that takes up spce and system resources.

tuxlinux
01-15-2003, 11:38 AM
this was a little over 2 of the shelf so it is not bad with crap but just loking for anything that can give it a little more edge and might be able to play dungeon siege with over 15 fps