PDA

View Full Version : Beeping hdd, I kid you not.

szukalski
11-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi all,

I've got a hdd here that a co-worker brought in, it's a Maxtor 200Gb DiamondMax Plus 9.
On boot, it makes a digital beeping, much like a cell phone ring, and it is not detected in bios, although the system does boot.
Prior to this happening, it was used in an external hdd caddy type thing, and this is where this oddity first occurred.

My co-worker has contacted Maxtor who state that their hdd's do not make any noise, but I think I trust my own ears better than some company statement.

Seriously, this hdd makes a little tune, an ascending series of notes that sound much like cell phone beeps.

I want to help out this guy, he's a good guy, but I've never come across this before.

Anyone able to help me out?

Thanks,

Dave

Vapor
11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
I don't know what the kcuf the problem is but that's awesome, minus the not working part. Wish my HDD would make noises for me :(

szukalski
11-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it's pretty cool to actually witness it, but the guy has 200gig of his goodness on there and he wants it bad. :S

AJF
11-21-2005, 12:46 PM
That's...insane. Email a video (with audio) of the HDD making the noise to the manufacturer.

Daved+
11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
That's...insane. Email a video (with audio) of the HDD making the noise to the manufacturer.
... and to us ;)

trakslacker
11-21-2005, 02:55 PM
... and to us ;)

correct. I'd like to see that as well.

Magnj
11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
post a video...

[XC] leviathan18
11-21-2005, 03:29 PM
yeah me wants to see that....

One_Hertz
11-21-2005, 03:46 PM
seen it dozens of times. The drive's heads are messed up and it will not work again unless u pay about a thousand bucks to a good recovery company but even then its like 50% chance.

enzoR
11-21-2005, 04:06 PM
yup! its the drive heads that got battered/misaligned and now they sweep too much and hit the end stop back and forth at like 1000 times a second causing a beep sound.

craig588
11-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the heads have smacked into the platters. The beeping is the sound of the platter grinding on the head. If there's anything on there you want don't plug it in again and ship it off to a recovery place. It will run you about 200$ to 5,000$ depending on the extent of the damage. (It's not going to be 200$ considering the heads are already ruined and the platters have been ground, it would be that cheap if you burned out the drives PCB, maybe)

One_Hertz
11-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Actually most drives that beep have a little speaker that beeps when it detencts something wrong with it on the firmware level.

dogsx2
07-16-2006, 03:46 AM
Will I know that HDD's do beep. My 75gb raptor started doing it. Rebooted when loading a fresh install for a Conroe rig and it just hung in the post. I thought it was the mb at first but it turned out to be the HDD.

The two raptors I got are OEM and WD says 5 yrs on OEM and Retail warranty. Would be nice if they honored the warranty.

On s side note when I put the other raptor on and reformatted it at a late hour of the night, I had forgot I had a 512 USB drive still in the IO in the back. I was puzzled that there was a 512 partition on the HDD but I formatted it without gibing it another thought.
Now the USB drive is empty and I can't put anything on it. Anyone know how to make it work again?

couppi
07-16-2006, 07:11 AM
You killed the drivers on the USB drive. I don't think there's a way to get them back, but I'm not sure.

jimwah
07-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Now the USB drive is empty and I can't put anything on it. Anyone know how to make it work again?

If the drive actually appears in "My Computer" window, then right-click & format it as a FAT partition & enable any disk-checking options. Maybe it got formatted as an NTFS and has some permissions set on it :confused:

gr8golf
07-16-2006, 07:49 AM
I had the exact same beeping thing going with a 250G Maxtor drive about 6 mos ago. I had it replaced under warranty. It was a BEEP - not the mechanical sounds of platters or heads.

dogsx2
07-16-2006, 09:30 AM
If the drive actually appears in "My Computer" window, then right-click & format it as a FAT partition & enable any disk-checking options. Maybe it got formatted as an NTFS and has some permissions set on it :confused:

Read post, I've used it for 2 years now. I just pulled it off another working rig. It worked loading a repair windows and when it rebooted, it would only post and not go any farther. Can't appear in My Computer without windows loading.

gr8golf

Yea, it's a beeping for sure.

Thrilla
07-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Can it be the magnetic beep? I know there's a guide where people turn dead HDDs into weird gadgets, one of the being the HDD speaker. If that's the case, something sounds messed up.

jimwah
07-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Read my quote dogsx2 - I was talking about your USB drive problem :)

dogsx2
07-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Read my quote dogsx2 - I was talking about your USB drive problem :)

Sorry, it just says windows is unable to complete the format. It shows it in my computer but when you try and open it, it says insert a drive. Sounds like I killed it.

dogsx2
07-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Good news is the USB drive lives again.:D

Bad news is the Raptor was a OEM and there is no warranty.:(

Wish it was the other way around.

Charles Wirth
07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Beeping is from the platter not spinning or heads not moving.

Tap the drive against some solid object and try to get it to spin up. You might be able to revive it still.