PDA

View Full Version : First Prom steps

Wimo
01-13-2003, 04:42 AM
So, I purchased a Xp2400+, 512 pc2100 Twinmos and a a7v8x :)

The last owner could clock the cpu to 3000+ with 1.9v :) But.. I want more, so I'm thinking about phase change.

I read all the review here on xtreme and all over the internet. After reading them I decidec that the vapochill would crush my cpu in 3 secs so I'm going to buy the Prom :stick:

This is by far the sickest thing I'm ever going to buy for my pc after the watercooling rig :rolleyes:

Ontopic.. after checking the chipcon webiste I came across a problem.. my a7v8x isn't listed in the compatible motherboard section :( I'm pretty handy so if it's needed I can easily adept a few things.. But, since I'm new to phase change I'm very afraid of killing my 700+ dollar case+ cpu stuff :)

Oh.. I'm also buying the extra sealing roll because I'll need it
:p

cheers

sharpbw
01-13-2003, 05:37 AM
I've mounted my cpu about 5 times now, and still have sealstring left over. They give you a lot of it, so don't worry about it much, but if you want to spend the $10 for a extra roll, go ahead.

I tool a look at the a7v8x board, you shouldn't have any problem using the Prometeia with it. There is one chip, that you will need to be sure to get sealstring on the inside of the chip, since the upper bracket will lay across it.

DaGooch
01-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Wimo
Ontopic.. after checking the chipcon webiste I came across a problem.. my a7v8x isn't listed in the compatible motherboard section :( I'm pretty handy so if it's needed I can easily adept a few things.. But, since I'm new to phase change I'm very afraid of killing my 700+ dollar case+ cpu stuff :)

There is a section at the CC site that gives compatability measurements for any motherboard. http://www.chip-con.com/mbcompatibility.asp

Wimo
01-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Well, I got the mobo :)

Like sharpbw said there's a chip that's blocking the prom (see pic)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wimox/prom.JPG

How should I seal it ? Around the chip?

DaGooch
01-14-2003, 03:57 AM
If you follow the above link:

As you can see, there's a small IC very close to the socket. However, this IC does not rise above the PCB more than 2.5mm, so provided it's properly insulated, it will not pose a problem when mounting the Prometeia Hermetic Cell.
Further instructions on how to insulate such components is given in the Prometeia User Manual.