PDA

View Full Version : Replace Enermax 480W PSU... suggestions

bongoben
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm about to rebuild some PC's and I'm looking for something to replace a slightly ageing 480W Enermax PSU with. The computer isn't going to have much more than a 939 mobo, an A64 3000+(no OC), 6600GT (ditto), 1Gb, 2 optical drivers and 1 HDD... so no need for an overkill PSU. What I didn't like about the Enermax is the manual fan control because it's useless for cooling even with a totally stock system of the above spec at quiet fan speeds and when it's effectively cooling, it's going like the proverbial jet engine (well almost :p ).

Something hands-free, maintenance-free and quiet will be nice. I've tried some alternatives around the 400W range a while back, the one I liked most was a horribly cheap Codegen which seemed to supply reasonably reliable power with virtually no noise along with adequate cooling. However Codegen... well, I wasn't ready to trust my system with it. Suggestions? Thanks.

[XC] moddolicous
11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
If money isnt an option, Zippy, Sparkle, OCZ and PC Power Cooling are very reliable. With a system like that, this PSU should do well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103706

phadeout
11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
If want quiet, but good on power, go with the Seasonic 600W.

If you want cheaper than the 600 Seasonic, try the OCZ 420 Powerstream.

bongoben
11-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't want to go overboard in terms of price, but reliability and quietness are probably the joint #1 priority and if that means paying a premium, sure I'll go for it. This particular PC could potentially be on 24/7 (in a non-airconditioned room in summer too. Not that it gets ludicrously hot in the UK but a constant 30~32C is quite possible).