PDA

View Full Version : 12V rail

SektorX
01-12-2003, 12:17 PM
I got a question for you guys.

I got a p4 @1.85V with a noname psu. I know this voltage is way high for the p4 and I could do with a lot less, but my motherboard doesn't allow to set voltages so I did the pinmod.

The problem now is that my 12v rail is very low @11.43V. A modification of the psu could fix this, but I'm not clear on one thing. If I up the 12V rail, will the 5V rail increase aswell? this is not necessary since it is @ 5.06 and I don't want to ยงยงยงยง it up.

anybody can help me on this, I'm new to vmodding PSU's and I don't want to rush into it, because a mistake can fry my entire pc.

KS1
01-19-2003, 12:04 PM
pls test your psu to see if it is capable of serving your pc or not.
- use a digital multimeter to measure +12V line from an available yellow (unused) line. if it's also < 12V, you might need to buy a new higher watt since P4 Vcore uses a lot of amps on +12V.
try to allocate more budget for a good psu.

SektorX
01-19-2003, 01:04 PM
thx for the advice but I fixed this allready. I placed a pot to adjust the 12V / 5V rail. It got my stability to my overclock like it should be. I allso fixed the 3.3 to go to turbo mode with a switch 3.45 for overclocking hard on the graphics card. this works pretty sweet aswell :D I'm a lucky guy and have trigged an OLD psu 350watts but more than 18 months to get the max out of my system, and doing that stable :D

asw7576
02-13-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SektorX
I placed a pot to adjust the 12V / 5V rail. It got my stability to my overclock like it should be. I allso fixed the 3.3 to go to turbo mode with a switch 3.45 for overclocking hard on the graphics card. this works pretty sweet aswell :D I'm a lucky guy and have trigged an OLD psu 350watts but more than 18 months to get the max out of my system, and doing that stable :D

Hi sextorX... can you show me your work? I want to see where did you put the pot to adjust 12V / 5V inside generic PSU.

I think this is very important discovery.

SektorX
02-14-2003, 07:11 AM
well actually it's pretty easy. :-)
I just started following the pcb traces from where the yellow (12V) wires leave the pcb. The first resistor I found I just changed with a pot, and voila 12V adjustable. the higher the resistance, the higher the Volts. for the 3.3V line I had some more problems finding the right resistor.
I know all psu's are different and you might not be helped out with this info, but still. It might give you a startoff. I'll make some pics tonight and I'll post them by tomorrow.

asw7576
02-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Sektor X: thanks for sharing with us with some pictures. This is very important discovery you know.... especially if you know how to increase 5V and 3.3V lines.