PDA

View Full Version : EMU 0404 vs X-Fi?

ben805
11-15-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm using the EMU-0404 on my HTPC for solely music listening and it sounded pretty good, but on my gaming box I'm still using the old SB Live 5.1 with KX Project drivers, SQ can't really match the EMU but doable. Well...since I heard lots of praise about the X-Fi I'm wondering if it's just a hype? so sound quality wise how good does the X-fi sound compare to the EMU 0404? I'll be using it on my gaming box to replace the old SB.

Computers are hooked up to my main stereo:
Harman Kardon HK 3480 receiver
Axiom M22ti mid tower
SVS sub

nn_step
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
If you are deciding about if you should get an X-FI, I say no soley because it doesn't sound as good as native Decoded music.. I suggest the AudioTrak Prodigy, the LT version can be had for under $85 and it is an excellent card.. but your EMU-0404 is a pretty good card too, not as CPU effiecent as the X-FI but I don't think that matters to you..
Oh and it is more efficient than the LIve crap, I mean card

ben805
11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
According to Maximum PC (http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/09/creative_labs_s.html) these X-Fi soundcards have the Cirrus Logic CS4382 DAC, that's the same DAC being use in most high end Marantz receivers so I would assume for music listening it should sound atleast as good as my EMU, but first priority is gaming and to replace the piece of crap SB Live. I'm dreaded creative lab's drivers though...but I guess I won't know for sure till I test it out so I probably should get one from BestBuy tomorrow, if it suck then I'll return it :stick:

ben805
11-17-2005, 04:49 AM
I bought the X-Fi Xtrememusic....boy am I in for surprise!! for music and movie it sound just as good if not better than my EMU-0404, but gaming is where it shine most and definitely sound much better than my old SB Live 5.1 :D :D I don't like the crystalizer and CMSS-3D as they color the sound quite a bit so I turn them off, those features might be useful for headphone and you might like it if you're using computer speakers. $130 is a bit pricey but overall I'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't has any problem with BF2 and Quake 4 either...I installed the new drivers that just came out ;)

nn_step
11-17-2005, 08:16 AM
congrats on the fact that you like it..

bongoben
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm quite pleased with the X-Fi so far. The Crystalizer is a bit of a con, but the CMSS-3D works really well on phones. I have the line out of the Elite Pro going out to my gaming phones / amp and it does 3D positioning nicely. Musicwise, haven't done that much but it seems fairly decent both DACed and on it's own through ASIO. For what it does, I think it could be a better price-performance balance for the general listener / gamer than the pro soundcards which many 'audiophiles' go for.

Before I bought the Elite Pro, I was wondering exactly the same thing, whether to get the 0404 or the Xtrememusic for my 'bedroom rig'. The lower-model X-Fi cards I know have slightly inferior DACs, but I'm sure it's acceptable and the X-Fis will have far more versatility over the 0404 as far as what I want out of a regular soundcard goes. I went for the Xtrememusic.

ben805
11-27-2005, 02:48 PM
yea I kept hearing gaming in CMSS-3D really shine with cans.....so I'd ordered a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and will try it on BF2 and Quake 4 to see what all the 3D hype is about :lol: for music listening the dang 3D really throw the soundstage and image off, everything sound like crap!

krille
11-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Please, keep us informed. I'm looking to buy an Elite Pro this xmas. Do any of you have multi-speaker systems, what are your experiences with surround?

How does 96 Khz multi-channel / 192 Khz stereo work? Does it work properly, or are there lots of noises, hissing, sparks, lagging, stuttering etc. if you turn on 96 Khz / 192 Khz, like on my Audigy 4 Pro?

Thanks!

euclid
12-05-2005, 09:46 AM
congrats on the xtrememusic i'd estimate that as the best choice of the line, im extremely skeptical the ram on the more expensive cards will ever be widely utilized by developers.

the crystalizer turns the frequency curve into a U. boosts the bass and high end to be more IN YOUR FACE... so its a joke.