PDA

View Full Version : just a soldering tip for you guys

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
for anyone who doesn't have/use a "3rd hand" device, and uses their fingers to hold the wire while soldering, this is for you.

i know you have to keep that wire steady for 2 seconds while the solder solidifies. i know it gets hot. here's something i found that helps. after you get the wire stuck, and you feel like you got a decent burn, immediately pinch those fingers under your chin, on your neck. (guys, 1" or so above the adam's apple).

i do not know why, but this effectively draws the heat away almost instantly. no more blisters, and if you accidently touch the iron, it will dramatically decrease the damage that could have been done.

just something i picked up and finally got around to sharing.

`SippY
11-13-2005, 08:54 PM
cool, thx for tip

[XC] DragonOrta
11-13-2005, 10:50 PM
It might have something to do with the major veins running through there. Same principle as watercooling. The heat goes to the blood instead of staying in your fingers. Just an idea.

brandinb
11-13-2005, 11:25 PM
wouldnt puting your fingers in your mouth do the same or work better
this is kinda strange but i belive you hehe
but i am a construction worker for money and computers for fun so i would have to say my fingers can stand alot of punishment
________
T2 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_T2)

[XC] DragonOrta
11-13-2005, 11:29 PM
well, if my idea is true, then the neck might work better because the blood is flowing, while your saliva in your mouth is not. the flow takes the heat away from where your fingers are.

Aphex_Tom_9
11-14-2005, 12:01 AM
well, if my idea is true, then the neck might work better because the blood is flowing, while your saliva in your mouth is not. the flow takes the heat away from where your fingers are.
it's all about the flow, man, the flow...

Tim
11-14-2005, 01:43 AM
So if I slit my wrist and put my finger in....I'm not gonna have a blister? :D

Nice....

Serious :

That is a great tip, I will try it.... :)

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
sorry for the slow reply. yes, this works far better than sticking your finger in your mouth. I would rate it on par or better than having a cold wet rag ready.

as far as the veins go, i usually pinch the skin/fat between my fingers, i don't press into my actual neck.

NickS
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Awesome tip man. I wish I knew that last yr in Tech lmfao.

So there is an advantage to being a fatass. Yey for me! :D :p:

mike
11-14-2005, 05:48 PM
what kind of flow rate of the blood flow is recommended to get rid of the heat the most efficient way? Would raising the heartbeat help further? Lots of caffeine (or other) for the overclockers?

trakslacker
11-14-2005, 06:22 PM
what kind of flow rate of the blood flow is recommended to get rid of the heat the most efficient way? Would raising the heartbeat help further? Lots of caffeine (or other) for the overclockers?

Turn on a toaster, grab a fork, jam it in there and voltmod yourself to find out. ;)

einCe
11-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Turn on a toaster, grab a fork, jam it in there and voltmod yourself to find out. ;)
classic

freecableguy
12-04-2005, 11:26 AM
here's my tip: don't burn yourself, be careful

m3csl2004
12-04-2005, 01:10 PM
hears my tip - dont solder- theres other ways around it and you will hurt something eventually (like my mate and his p4c800 which im about to atempted to repair for myself) or your fingers

unless its absolutely nescessary dont do it lol

that or use sugerglue on your fingertips - kinda not recomended alough ive done it in the past

don_vercetti
12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
why would you use superglue? surely that would just stick to the skin, and cause worse blistering?

Acrazar
12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
i think he means to coat your fingers with glue as an insulator, might work, though it will screw up your fingers for awhile, even with de-bonder

MaxxxRacer
12-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I second FCG.. I was just about to say what he said when I was writing my reply. lol.

but if i ever do I have a wet paper towel that I use instead of the solder sponge and it will absorb the heat very well.

Another indespensable tool for solder junkies is the vacu-vise. Its a small vise that attaches to the table via a vacum clamp. that sucker is so strong I can lift up the entire glass sheet of my table with a bunch of junk on it.. amazing unit. Its also great as a holder for dremmeling.

Thrilla
12-09-2005, 12:10 AM
LoL when I touch the soldering iron or hot solder, the moisture in my skin just explodes... I have quite a few "craters" on my fingers :P

I use vitamin E oil for crater and blister healing, appy twice a day, and it's usually gone in a few days, and you can't feel any pain :D