PDA

View Full Version : Storm with Naked A64?

mcbarnet007
11-13-2005, 03:25 AM
I just got the storm today and I am wondering if I should use the Sct939 spacers provided when I have a naked core. Should I use the spacer or not? Or should I just use other smaller spacers instead? Thanx for the help!!

Ferry82
11-13-2005, 06:06 AM
I have the storm too use 2 white rings from the SocketA/Duron.

Works wel for me

racinjimy
11-13-2005, 08:50 AM
I just use the backing plate and ditched the retention frame, then I put the screws in from the back of the mobo, use a couple of nuts to hold the screws in place, then use the springs and a nut on top.

RVWinkle
11-13-2005, 01:24 PM
I just use the backing plate and ditched the retention frame, then I put the screws in from the back of the mobo, use a couple of nuts to hold the screws in place, then use the springs and a nut on top.

I did something similar with another block and I'm kinda worried about taking my comp to a lan party because of it. If I'm driving and hit a pothole, without enough reinforcement the core may get crushed.

carmelo
11-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I did something similar with another block and I'm kinda worried about taking my comp to a lan party because of it. If I'm driving and hit a pothole, without enough reinforcement the core may get crushed.

I think if there held down tightly and most importantly evenly ... you most likely have any problems. Now if your start tugging on the block or unscrewing it unevenly you may run into issues. The way the core is going to break is do to the block not being perfectly straight on the core. Once the presure becomes uneven and one side is a little higher or lower than another is when you will have chances of damaging a core. That's why I feel Koolance has by far one of the best hold downs designed. They use 2 screws in the normal screw holes to fasten the actual hold down in place (it is seperate from the block). Then they screw a bolt through the center and apply presure only to the center of the cpu. I have no IHS so I had to replace my standard koolance bolt with a longer one. What that means is I can crank it down as much as I feel needed, or as little as I want. I have a fair ammount of presure, I used a standard wrench so I am unsure of that actual presure being applied. I can't unscrew it with bare hands at all, so its in there fairly tight. I bring my computer on road trips almost on a weekly basis with out any issues. So if the hold down is applying even presure along the surface of the core, you most likely won't run into any issues. I do stress, please apply that presure as evenly as possible.

xgman
11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Two words:

even

slow

mcbarnet007
11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
it usually takes me forever to mount TDX on naked core just because even a slight uneveness would result in bad temperature

ls7corvete
11-15-2005, 11:30 AM
I think if there held down tightly and most importantly evenly ... you most likely have any problems. Now if your start tugging on the block or unscrewing it unevenly you may run into issues. The way the core is going to break is do to the block not being perfectly straight on the core. Once the presure becomes uneven and one side is a little higher or lower than another is when you will have chances of damaging a core. That's why I feel Koolance has by far one of the best hold downs designed. They use 2 screws in the normal screw holes to fasten the actual hold down in place (it is seperate from the block). Then they screw a bolt through the center and apply presure only to the center of the cpu. I have no IHS so I had to replace my standard koolance bolt with a longer one. What that means is I can crank it down as much as I feel needed, or as little as I want. I have a fair ammount of presure, I used a standard wrench so I am unsure of that actual presure being applied. I can't unscrew it with bare hands at all, so its in there fairly tight. I bring my computer on road trips almost on a weekly basis with out any issues. So if the hold down is applying even presure along the surface of the core, you most likely won't run into any issues. I do stress, please apply that presure as evenly as possible.

Whoa, a wrench is way too much pressure for a CPU core. Be carefull doing that kind of thing.

carmelo
11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Whoa, a wrench is way too much pressure for a CPU core. Be carefull doing that kind of thing.

How much presure do you think those heat sink clips apply when cranked down? Also keep in mind I am using the wrench on the strongest part of the cpu, the resin on the cpu block would most likely weaken due to the presure before something happened to the cpu.

pumbertot
11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
my x2 4800 is naked and didnt use anything at all for spacers. back plate on then just screw it in evenly (one turn left screw, one turn right screw etc until it gets tight). just dont overtighten and you can check by gentley pushing on the block to see if it can be screwed in further i.e. if it wobbles when gentley pushed. ;)

fareastgq
11-18-2005, 02:11 AM
I don't even use the back plate. Also don't use springs. about 3 turns (full rotations) on 1 side, 3.25 turns on the other side and I am good.

mcbarnet007
11-18-2005, 06:17 PM
huh? no spring? how do you do that?

fareastgq
11-18-2005, 06:53 PM
very carefully :) bolts ---> plastic washer----> wing nut. And a hell of alot of trial mounting to see if u get good contact. Also, that higher edge of the cpu socket is a blessing in disgiuse, it actually keeps u from crushing your core since it's almost flush with it. I thought about sanding it down, but I like to keep my warranty and by the time the warranty is gone, I prob won't have the board anymore anyway, heh. Otherwise, if I DID sand it down, I would use springs.