PDA

View Full Version : New to SATA, issues with disk reading and temps

F@TMAN
11-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Just setup my new PC (check sig), and for the first time I'm using a SATA drive. Everything seems to be going well (installed NF4 6.70 drivers w/o issue), but I am finding some worrying issues. When I power up my PC, the hdd LED is illuminated for a fair amount of time (even before the power LED lights up), and it takes my PC a while to POST (ie. to hear the beep indicating normal boot). Then, the passed couple of boots into winXP, MBM5 reports my hdd temp as high as 260 degrees! Certainly there must be an error there, considering that would certainly mean my hdd would die! I haven't chanced it, though, and have avoided leaving it on for long periods since this problem arose. After a couple of minutes, I find the temps reduce to a much more reasonable value (between 40-60 degrees). I think there may be some issues with my BIOS (enabling SMART) and the temp sensor that I need to iron out (using MBM5 w/NF4 data file from dfi-street (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798) ), but the POST issue is something I'd like to address. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

nn_step
11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
put a fan on your hard drive.. then try again..
I very much doubt that it is a bios issue..

F@TMAN
11-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Even if I had active cooling on my hdd, if the temp reading is correct, not even h2o could save any component from over-heating when it's @ 260 degrees, dude! I notice no performance issues (not that I've really tried, but there's no lag in exploring)...