PDA

View Full Version : TEC or Phase Change

kiz
01-10-2003, 01:55 PM
phase change or peltier???
i'm about to get into some extreme cooling. Now that Asetek sells the stand alone vapochill unitsd for 395 im wondering. Should i go with a TEC setup on a watercooled system, or a phase change like the vapo chill or prometeia stand alones. What are the temp differences probably about 1-2 degrees plus or minus between vapo chill and a peltier...but the prometeia can hold it's own at around -48C...what are some views on this?

NOTE TO MODS: I was gonna put this in TEC forum...but then i'd get bias there....then i was gonna put it in phase change...same thing...thats why i placed it here.

Bushboy
01-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Peltiers really can't compare to phase change really, they're much less efficient and can't handle heat load as well. TECs are a hassle, you need expensive PSUs, wiring, lots of ASIII from my experience with using a lot of them. Phase change is more expensive, and TBH I don't think Vapos are very good, especially the cheaper ones. A prommie would be ideal, but yes more expesnive. That price is quite good for a Vapo though, but if you're willing to spend the extra cash, then a prometeia is better.

Temp differences are huge really. A TEC will (226W is really the only type you can compare to phase change) start off with nice low temps but they can't maintain the temps like a prom can.

Basically, phase change is much better. More expensive, but less hassle and nicer temps of course. TECs require a lot of work and maintainance (water HAS to stay cold...freezer or something like that is a must to keep temps low over a while) which will give you a headache.

kiz
01-10-2003, 02:13 PM
thanx....exactly what i wanted to hear.

ksick
07-01-2005, 01:38 AM
but if you are cooling 172w(dt69) pelt with vapo? does this work/gives temp boost?

vapo LS can keep venice 3000+ at -20C under full load, 172W pelt should put out ~twice as much heat as cpu... 60W more heat ~ 5 degrees = +15 total . it should be able to cool pelt down between 0 -10... correct me if im wrong :)

TodB
07-01-2005, 01:45 AM
You didn't count the CPU heat in the mixture... you have the peltier heat and the CPU heat.... so you got at least over 280W of heat, which will break the VapoLS/Prommie GT any day....

Basicly PhCh is much more easy to maintain and use in general... the pelts need a lot of work and insulation..

And I don't think that the Prommies are better than the Asetek products, but let's not start it over again ;)