PDA

View Full Version : Quickboot XP

BrokenWall
11-05-2005, 10:40 PM
i am looking at designing a small MicroITX computer, that will be used for a special one of a kind job. And i want to say instead of when the power comes on, waiting upto a minute of XP to boot. is there anyway i can have it boot within a couple seconds as if its awaking from sleep mode?

but when its off it doesnt consume alot of power to kill the battery of it's source.

Ugly n Grey
11-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Use flash RAM... stick flash RAM into an IDE adapter... boot times become extreme, you can even RAID them...

BrokenWall
11-06-2005, 05:52 AM
basically i am building a mobile multimedia device for a car and i want it so when the car starts, it boots into windows with a custom GUI, which will allow me to play DVDs, MP3s, GPS, XM, WiFi, Bluetooth, TV, FM radio, and alot more. but i dont wanna have to sit in the car waiting for the system to boot.

Start Car = Computer starts up within seconds

Car Off = Computer stays on till it safely shuts down then uses no more power

Ugly n Grey
11-06-2005, 06:04 AM
well, that's a little more ambitious. I just a use a laptop with a remote LCD screen. The latop has built in power circuitry that tells the thing when external power is available etc....

But of note is that you don't have to boot it every single time. Just put a relay on the dash controls so it suspends to ram. In a suspended state the thing barely uses power. It won't drain your battery. And because of where you live, cold is not a problem really. There are lots of ways of going about this. Most ITX bios carry suspend to RAM functions. If it did happen to lose power, who cares, just reboot. A standard car battery will power that suspend to RAM dunction for about 6 months... the car battery will lose more charge due to being idle.

You need a separate power path to the battery that won't be interupted by turning the cars ignition key, most relayed power in a car is interupted during the time where the starter is engaged. You can also use a small gel acid battery between a relayed power source and your ITX rig.

BrokenWall
11-06-2005, 04:27 PM
basically this rig is quite impresive!

1Ghz VIA Chip
1GB DDR
80GB 7200rpm Drive
Slimline Sony DVD-RW Drive (cheaper than a plain slim DVD-rom)
Microsoft GPS
XM to PC
7" 720x480 VGA TFT LCD Screen w/ USB Touch
ATI TV wonder Elite
Creative XFi Standard
Wifi Card
USB Bluetooth

which will run into a Alpine PreAMP then to 4 6.5" 3Ways and dual 12" Subs

Adam217
11-06-2005, 09:10 PM
You may find some of the stuff and or info you are looking for at this place, MP3car.com , good resouce for car based pc stuff.