PDA

View Full Version : Funny CPUID screenie

DaGooch
05-26-2002, 09:41 PM
OP did you notice the one guy above you on VR-Zone, his SSE is not functioning with the same version of CPUid? I noticed more than half of the guys on the first page have junk screenies with 64K of L2 or their SSE not functioning.

OPPAINTER
05-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Yea a bunch of sh*t, they look all messed up, to cold I guess, at least mines official:D

OPP

DaGooch
05-26-2002, 11:54 PM
Yes, only yours and several others are the only 100% fully functional XP screenies.

OPPAINTER
05-27-2002, 09:24 AM
Thats all right, I get one these 2200 chips and I'll snag the lead with a 2300 Screen Shot.

OPP

stompah
05-27-2002, 03:51 PM
you think these guys are faking their results? Not on losing the L2 but rather the fubared SSE2?

Hardass
05-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by stompah
you think these guys are faking their results? Not on losing the L2 but rather the fubared SSE2?

What are L2 and SSE

stompah
05-27-2002, 04:39 PM
most CPUs (all currently manufactured) have onboard memory which is basically called a cache. It helps the CPU in most cases.

For SSE2 its some instruction that is on the chip that enables the CPU to 'pre-fetch' information from the memory before it needs it. Basically it is prediction the future based on your habits ;) I think I am not 100% certain on this one.

Hardass
05-27-2002, 05:00 PM
most CPUs (all currently manufactured) have onboard memory which is basically called a cache. It helps the CPU in most cases.

For SSE2 its some instruction that is on the chip that enables the CPU to 'pre-fetch' information from the memory before it needs it. Basically it is prediction the future based on your habits ;) I think I am not 100% certain on this one.

So what was diff about those guys CPUID?

stompah
05-27-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Hardass

So what was diff about those guys CPUID? Their CPUs are super cooled. Cooled below freezing often times. And that creates some funny stuff happening n their CPUs. Athlons XP have a 256kb L2 cache and they also have SSE2. What is likely showingup is 64kb of L2 cache and/or SSE2 not enabled.

Hardass
05-27-2002, 06:24 PM
One of these days I will understand this stuff, I,m getting there.;)

stompah
05-28-2002, 01:13 PM
One of these days I will understand this stuff, I,m getting there.;) Its cool I hope someone rereads this thread to verify my info. I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction.:(

Hardass
05-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Its cool I hope someone rereads this thread to verify my info. I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction.:(

Don,t worry about it, I always get 2 or 3 points of view before I act.:D

DaGooch
05-28-2002, 03:17 PM

So what was diff about those guys CPUID?

Identified as a "Duron" with 64K of L2 cache and no SSE and some have 256K of L2 cache showing but no SSE instruction set which is present on an Athlon XP.

JCviggen
06-11-2002, 11:01 AM
Yeah those screenies where the CPU is barely running with stripped cache shouldnt count.... anyway I submitted one once without realising i had lost the cache but they refused to publish it anyway... but there's still plenty of entries up there with the same prob

Sayajin
06-12-2002, 04:47 AM
Athlon XP cpu's do not have SSE2 they onlt have SSE...SSE2 are the instructions used in P4 cpu's...intel has givin AMD a licence to use SSE2 in their cpu's...but only in 2003...

arkan
06-23-2002, 03:05 PM
my computr science professor said that since the l2 cache doesnt run as hot as the rest of the chip if you freeze it enough part of it can fail to turn on bc the gates actually freeze on some of the transistors then he proceeded to show us what happens when u blow out the l2 cache with to much vcore lol

Bulldog
06-23-2002, 03:36 PM
Now thats a kewl professor...how many volts dis he try to run thru it? This is one course that you should get a super grade in...maybe some extra credit by teaching him how to clock:toast:

KnightElite
06-24-2002, 09:06 AM
Yeah, SSE2 is only on P4s and Xeons for now. Hammer will have it though. Athlon XPs have 3DNOW! and SSE and MMX instruction sets. All of these are SIMD instructions, which stands for "Single Input Multiple Data." Basically, they are a bunch of pre-made calculations that make it much faster for the CPU to do certain operations.

CSHawkeye81
06-24-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
Thats all right, I get one these 2200 chips and I'll snag the lead with a 2300 Screen Shot.

OPP

you da man go do it

Locoman
06-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Hardass, if you want to learn about how CPUs work, I'd advise you to stay away from this forum.

"For SSE2 its some instruction that is on the chip that enables the CPU to 'pre-fetch' information from the memory before it needs it. Basically it is prediction the future based on your habits I think I am not 100% certain on this one."

-No. SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) is not prefetch. Prefetch circuitry and SSE2 are different. Also, prefetch does not make predictions based on your habits.

"my computr science professor said that since the l2 cache doesnt run as hot as the rest of the chip if you freeze it enough part of it can fail to turn on bc the gates actually freeze on some of the transistors..."

-Your professor is an idiot. Find a student who records the lectures, take the recording of that lecture to the head of the department, and demand a refund.

"All of these are SIMD instructions, which stands for "Single Input Multiple Data." Basically, they are a bunch of pre-made calculations that make it much faster for the CPU to do certain operations."

-Partial credit. SIMD stands for Single Instruction Multiple Data. SIMD extensions are not pre-made calculations. SIMD extensions allow the processor to perform a single SSE instruction on multiple data in one shot instead of doing the same operation over and over again.

"most CPUs (all currently manufactured) have onboard memory which is basically called a cache. It helps the CPU in most cases. "

-This isn't so much wrong as it is dumb sounding. The onboard memory is not basically called a cache, it IS called a cache. Cache is very fast SRAM (usually) that stores data and instructions and acts as a buffer against the horrible delay of fetching data or instructions from the system memory or (even worse) the hard drive.

I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, I'm just fighting the good fight and spreading the message that it is okay to say "I don't know" if you don't know what you're talking about.

Hardass
06-29-2002, 09:12 AM
Locoman, Thanks for looking out for my well being. But have to tell you this, In a short period of time at this forum I have learned more then I did the entire time at other forums. So I have to take my chances here. Can,t let the statements of one or two people change your view of the overall picture my friend.:toast:

JBELL
06-29-2002, 09:32 AM
ROTFLMAO

Locoman
06-29-2002, 11:50 AM
Yeah, you're right. Ignorance is bliss. Seeking the truth and doing real research is too hard.

Let me guess, you're a product of the US school system, right?

Locoman
06-29-2002, 11:52 AM
removed

Hardass
06-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Hey man you need to chill out with the attitude, don,t know what your problem is but you made your statement now let it go.

JBELL
06-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Locoman
Yeah, you're right. Ignorance is bliss. Seeking the truth and doing real research is too hard.

Let me guess, you're a product of the US school system, right?

Do we need to have a chat?

cool out or get out

Locoman
06-29-2002, 01:04 PM
But all the fun of trolling is copping an attitude and not letting it go!

Okay, I hear you. I'll leave you alone now.

JBELL
06-29-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Locoman
But all the fun of trolling is copping an attitude and not letting it go!

Okay, I hear you. I'll leave you alone now.

you don't seem to understand I do NOT allow flamming here, you wanna talk smack and cop a 'tude then go somew[H]ere else besides here.

JBELL
06-29-2002, 01:16 PM
BTW - Welcome to the sickness...