PDA

View Full Version : questionabout brakes

calcal
11-02-2005, 08:35 PM
HOw often are the brake set(like the calipers and that stuff) suppose to be replaced?

And how often are the brake pads suppose to be replaced?

trance565
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
pads ... depends how hard u break, i replace mine well, ive had my car 2 years, and replaced them once, about a year ago, so far, weve replaced our cars pads basically once every year or year and a half i think

calipers ... never

disks... again depends on how hard u break, but id'e give an estimate of once every 4 or 5 years? my mom and dad's 99 lexus, and 99 acura have yet to have them replaced, my 2000 integra has yet to have them replaced, and my brother got cross drilled and slotted just because he wanted to on his 98 mustang.

so really, dun really need to worry unless u feel ur break peddle getting soft, or hear squeeking, or if u check your break pads ( not hard to do, most can do just by looking through holes in calipers)

calcal
11-02-2005, 08:48 PM
i drive normal to conserve gas so i dont break very hard.

Last time when the brakes were changed it cost about 500 bucks so i assume he changed everything.

I have this problem where when i press the breaks something grinds. The noise comes from the front left wheel(driver seat view). Its very annoying do you know what the problem could be? Also, the noise comes when it hits a certain part on the rotor or whatever that thing it clamps to brake. I asked my freind and he said it could be the roter or just brake dust?

I brought the car to my cousina nd he lubed the brakes and the noise went away for about 2 weeks and came back.

MaxxxRacer
11-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Do you have a good amount of material left on the pad? If not then it coudl be grinding the disk against the base of the pad which would leave gouges on the disk.

It could aslo be your breaks fading which means they are overheating and when this happens the breaks will loose braking strenght as well as the following posiblities; chattering, grinding, squeeling, or no sound difference at all. Also, when the brakes are fading you can feel it through the pedal. the break will feel different that it does normally.

olfen
11-03-2005, 03:47 AM
I just think you need to change the pads

Stocky
11-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Sometimes brake pads can crumble, I have seen it on our race cars before. The actual material can brake apart; just get down and have a good poke around - then you'll know for sure :)

calcal
11-03-2005, 08:06 AM
yes my cousin said the brake pads were still good...

Stocky
11-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Warped discs can cause a rubbing sound, also an MOT failure if they are checked properly. You can tell if you jack the car up and spin the wheels, feel around the discs on both sides - you should notice if there is anything wrong with them...

Rukee
11-03-2005, 03:18 PM
If you are hearing grinding, then the break pads need to be replaced and the rotor is prolly junk as well. If the break pedal pulsates at all under breaking I would replace the rotors as well. Generally you will go through about two to three sets of fronts for every set of rear breaks.
If the rim holds the rotors tight to the hub, then using a torque wrench to get all the lugs the same is a must to prevent the rotors from warping.

gkiing
11-10-2005, 10:57 PM
HOw often are the brake set(like the calipers and that stuff) suppose to be replaced?

And how often are the brake pads suppose to be replaced?

Replace the calipers when they no longer move freely or the piston won't retracket back into the caliper (brakes not disengaging properly)

It isin't that expensive to get entirely new front brakes, maybe $300 for new calipers + rotors + pads if you put them on yourself.