PDA

View Full Version : Removing epoxy

King_of_qb
01-09-2003, 01:16 PM
i used some epoxy on some ramsinks on my card and i messed up the card in a volt mod
now i need to remove it any other tricks that will remove a 50/50 bond besides the freeezer trick?

Nohto
01-09-2003, 05:10 PM
I know this sounds funny, but I have done it to several of my cards and infact to my 9700 that I am still using. Put it boiling water for about 10 sec. then the epoxy will just wipe off. What I did was take a 12in frying pan and put about 1in of water in it and heated it up until it just started to boil lightly. I placed the card in the water using thick rubber gloves and then removed it after about 5-10 sec. I used a 100 percent epoxy mix to glue my BGA ramsinks on and they twisted right off with very little force. I then turned the card over and repeated for the other side. When I removed the 2nd side I used my compressor and blew the water off the card very well and let it dry for about another hour and reinstalled is. It worked like a charm. I have done this with several cards and a couple of motherboards that I used Conformal Kote on. I first use carb or brake cleaner and a medium toothbrush to remove most of the Conformal Kote and then I finish up the job with the boiling water trick and then soap and water in the sink. They look like new and you can hardly tell that I had ever sprayed them.

Sick0fthelies
08-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Ive been able to get ramsinks off just by twisting them from side to side little by little until they just kind of peel off.

Teus
08-24-2003, 03:32 PM
put it in boiling water
http://users.pandora.be/deschildre/modding/Gainward%20GF2%20Pro/boiling_geforce.jpg

succes, core not ripped off. scraped off the adhesive and sanded it. all traces from adhesive removed
http://users.pandora.be/deschildre/modding/Gainward%20GF2%20Pro/cooking/PIC00014.jpg

but the card was DEAD :(

Nohto
08-24-2003, 03:54 PM
scraped off the adhesive and sanded it. all traces from adhesive removed

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I never scraped or sanded my card afterwards. If there was any left over adhesive, I would use a plastic stir-stick that came with the epoxy and gently scrap while the card was still hot and then I would use accetone to remove the remaining compuond. I noticed that that is a Gainward card. Where did you purchase it from. If it was from NewEgg You might try to return it there, but if not I would contact Gainward and see what they will do about it. I know that ATI has warrantied my 8500 when it was well over 2 years old no questions asked.

sjohnson
08-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Dead card? Maybe not. You might have some left-over water or some saltation on the circuitry. Try washing the card thoroughly with distilled or de-ionized water, blow it dry with some canned air and let it dry for a couple of days.