PDA

View Full Version : Don't kill your 8RDA+ - do this mod

FrzzMan
01-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Heh... I've just come here... so if someone post this already, don't blame me...

As I know after read some post here, at least one of you kill you 8RDA+ cause of too high voltage for the chipset... and someone tell him don't give the chipset more than 1.85v or 1.9v for short-time benchmark (maybe for next mobo heh)... or to easier to understand, dont' let the resistor between feedback pin and ground go under 600ohm...

So I think, if you solder a 600ohm (or 650ohm) resistor serial with the pot b4 solder it to the IC, you will be pain free...

That's what I think, hope it help...

PS: OMG, cant' wait til my 8RDA+ arrive... AAAAArrrrrggggg

Spartacus
01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
That's a very good idea to put a fixed resistor in series with the pot. It makes this mod almost goof-proof. Almost. ;)

AKRedneck
01-09-2003, 06:00 PM
I am in the process of installing a resistor in series with the variable pot as a fail safe, however, unless you want to be limited by whatever 600ohms provides, I would shoot for something around 400 ohms. Basically the fixed resistor's only purpose is to prevent a direct short, in my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with 2.0Vdd. Just put some little heatsinks on those chips..

STEvil
01-09-2003, 09:11 PM
yay for redundancy.. there seems to be a lot of it all of a sudden.. I think Rage3d's R9500->9700 mod thread has spilled over.. lol 8-)