PDA

View Full Version : APC SmartUPS ??

ben805
10-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Is it a myth or fact that UPS can boost and stabilize overclock? :D :D I've noticed the light in my computer room would dim whenever I turn on the phase change....appear to be voltage drop or some sort. I've found a refurbished APC SmartUPS 1400 (model:SU1400NET) with new battery packs for about $140 local, is this a good unit? anybody has experience with this model? I read somewhere that the SmartUPS line could also act like a power conditioner....wonder if it would help if I connect both phase change and pc onto it.

boshuter
10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Is it a myth or fact that UPS can boost and stabilize overclock? :D :D I've noticed the light in my computer room would dim whenever I turn on the phase change....appear to be voltage drop or some sort. I've found a refurbished APC SmartUPS 1400 (model:SU1400NET) with new battery packs for about $140 local, is this a good unit? anybody has experience with this model? I read somewhere that the SmartUPS line could also act like a power conditioner....wonder if it would help if I connect both phase change and pc onto it.

It will for sure help with stablility. You would be suprised at how many unexplained bsod's, reboots, etc., are caused by "dirty" line voltage. The APC SmartUPS's do have line conditioning. IMO no pc should be run without one. I use the BackUPS Pro 650 and have one on both of my sytems.

nn_step
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
It doesn't help as much as a great powersupply...

boshuter
10-28-2005, 07:50 PM
It doesn't help as much as a great powersupply...

Well the best psu in the world is only as good as the supply voltage going to it. If you have dips and spikes in your house supply voltage a great psu isn't going to help.

nn_step
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Really because I understand that PCP&C powersupplies can still function even if the AC voltage dropped from 120v to just 55v
Not at max but the 510 can still power any non SLi system with rock stable rails...

Bar81
10-29-2005, 07:27 AM
It's a combination of all your components. You of course need a quality PSU but you also need clean power coming into it. It's amazing how many people still fail to grasp this simple concept.