PDA

View Full Version : Need some insight on WC

Dapper
01-08-2003, 04:53 PM
OK I have been kicking around water cooling for some time now, I have just got ahold of a free Micro fridge, so I was thinking of using it to cool the water down so I can keep a constant temp, not so much that it has to be below freezing for now but just a steady temp.

Now I can either set it up right under my system and just use the fridge to hold a "Cooling Core", resevoir, and pump,
Or I can put it in my basement where I can use a huge Cooling core, or what it realy is, is an old A/C condensor core out of one of my old Camaros it measures 17" X 26" x 2" and is 2 rows thick and is all aluminum 3/8's tube and fins. I could hang this on the wall then run into the fridge to do the final cool on the water.

I was thinking of one of Cathars White water blocks and a Mag drive pump Here (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4590)

So any Pros, Cons, what needs to be done to keep condensation at a minimum?

idkthephatOne
01-09-2003, 09:23 AM
well a mini fridge only can cool 30-40watts on it own that is but if your going to have a core cooling the water also you should have some descent temperatures...

-about the condensation part, cover your cpu pins with vaseline or some other non-conductive material and also the top side of the motherboard + top of video card.

-then as always use condensed foam to insulate your cpu. If all goes well you should have almost freezing temps for instance 5-10C...try a TEC while im never comfortable with those because my psu cant handle a 226w unit. Maybe you can have better luck

Hope i answered some questions that you have proposed...

idkthephatOne
01-09-2003, 09:24 AM
by the way, are you cooling the cores with fans?

Dapper
01-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Well if I go with the core it will hang in the basement and it stays around 55F or 12-15C all year down there and this core is huge it is not a little heater core it is like I said (I just went to re-measure) 16" wide, 29" long, and 1.5" thick, or 407mm X 737mm X 38 and 10mm tubing all aluminum. I want to stay away from a TEC that is too much hassle for all I do.

I just want to get rid of all of the fan noise and get a steady constant temp so I don't have to worry about air temps any more.

idkthephatOne
01-09-2003, 11:27 PM
wait your core is going to be in the basement? where is your room located? or better yet, where do you keep the comp...if its more than 25 feet i would go with a mag drive 900 gph to push the water from basement > stairs > 10-50 feet of drywall > to your room > waterblock > gpublock > and back to the pump

Dapper
01-10-2003, 02:05 PM
No no this is only like 5 feet below where my computer is set up.

idkthephatOne
01-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Have regular fans blowing at the heatercore or whichever...youll have super awesome temps no noise either!!! goOd luck to ya