PDA

View Full Version : OCZ 600watt PS

shogan191
10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Currently I'm using an OCZ 600 watt powersupply(Powerstream/adjustable). It is a replacement that I recieved for an RMA of the original. The original was blue screening, rebooting, and just generally acting goofy. The replacement is doing the same thing. I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much from this ps. I'm currently using a VapoLS, Exos2, 2x7800gtx, AMD 3800x2, 1 case fan, floppy, CDrw, 2x512 OCZ 4800. I had the same problem when using my FX57 and FX55. While waiting for the RMA to be returned I was using a smaller Antec that actually seemed to work better than this particular ps. Should I go to something larger? What do you suggest. Thanks and btw the RMA was relatively fast last time and no hassle. I appreciate any suggestions.

RyderOCZ
10-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Normally a PSU won't cause a BSOD or anything like that.....you say you put the Antec in and those problems go away?

Out of that equipment...what does the PSU power? (outside of the motherboard, graphics)

FlyBoyGeo
10-27-2005, 08:42 AM
I am looking into purchasing a new PSU soon and was wondering if you have the 600ADJ or 600ADJ SLI? Thanks.

shogan191
10-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Well it would power everything except the VapoLS and it is powering a small control panel for that using a 4pin molex. So basically receiving power are the motherboard,4 Raptors, 2 vid cards, the Exos water cooling(pump and 2 fans), vapo control panel, removable drives when necessary and one case fan.

Ugly n Grey
10-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Not that I can do any better troubleshooting this than Ryder (I can't) but a split rail PSU like the 600 requires a balance of load.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71455&highlight=OCZ+510+rail

OCZ 600W: 12V1=20A 12V2=18A, whereas a 520 has one large and quite beefy 12V and probably the better PSU (in my opinion).

shogan191
10-28-2005, 05:20 AM
All input is welcome. Thanks. That's kind of what I've been thinking. The blue screens I reported above could infact be due to overclocking but the general reboots for no obvious reason are concerning me. I'll keep an eye on it the next few days and report exactly what's happening and whether it's under oc conditions or what.

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 06:58 AM
That would be great....Info that UnG pointed out is probably very applicable in this case. The smaller 18A rail is running straight to the motherboard, so you are left with 20A for all that other hardware. I would bet, if it wasn't powering the pump....you would never notice a hiccup.

kimandsally
10-28-2005, 11:28 AM
This might seem a really stupid question but what would happen if you linked the 2 12v rails together? Would that not make a single powerful rail?

I'm slightly worried because I have the 600 and I am having rebooting although I cannot put it down to the PSU I will do more testing to hopfully find the cause.

In a circumstance where the 600 had to be replaced with a 520 how would OCZ go about that?

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 11:58 AM
You cannot link the 2 rails together without voiding the warranty...it would have to be done inside the PSU.

The 600W is plenty for most systems...it is only in rare cases where there are multiple peripherals (lots of drives or cathode tubes) where you can be underpowered with this PSU.

If you are underpowered with this PSU, then moving to a 520W is not going to fix things.

kimandsally
10-28-2005, 12:09 PM
You cannot link the 2 rails together without voiding the warranty...it would have to be done inside the PSU.

The 600W is plenty for most systems...it is only in rare cases where there are multiple peripherals (lots of drives or cathode tubes) where you can be underpowered with this PSU.

If you are underpowered with this PSU, then moving to a 520W is not going to fix things.

I wasn't thinking of linking the rails inside rather make a through lead to connect the two together outside the PSU then carry on to their normal places I would have to obtain the correct connectors as I definately don't want to be messing with the connectors on the PSU, I can't afford to lose the warranty.

But having said that I'm getting ahead of myself here, I haven't found the fault it might be nothing to do with the PSU, I was just brousing found this so thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the RAPID reply. :)

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 12:14 PM
You can't link them together outside the PSU...it doesn't work like that :)

It all has to do with how they are "generated" inside the PSU when its converted from AC to DC.

{PMS}fishy
10-28-2005, 12:21 PM

So why can a 520w power dual XEONs, and a 600w can't?

Ugly n Grey
10-28-2005, 12:24 PM
because the dual Xeons overwhelm a single rail at 18 amps.....but not the (28A?) single rail of the 520.... the difference between single and split rails... voila

{PMS}fishy
10-28-2005, 01:09 PM
because the dual Xeons overwhelm a single rail at 18 amps.....but not the (28A?) single rail of the 520.... the difference between single and split rails... voila

Exactly, yet OCZ seems to think the 600w PSU is better than the 520w.

Ugly n Grey
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
It is if you need rock solid power on a single rail where peripheral draw doesn't affect the stability of the mobo.

They sell both, as a consumer if you immediately target the bigger number without doing some research as to what the product is intended for, you are the sucker. OCZ just claims one puts up 520 and one 600. They even tell you how that occurs in the specs. If you are not knowledgeable enough to pick a PSU , then you ask customer service for advice.(the word "you" in this case means any consumer)

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Exactly, yet OCZ seems to think the 600w PSU is better than the 520w.Better in what regards? All our PSU's are the same Quality...no 1 is better or has better technology than the other. Bigger yes....it has more available wattage and 12V power. So I don't understand your statement where we think its better?

As UnG stated it....Any PSU should be purchased with the intended use and System in mind....to blindly purchase a XXX Watt unit from Company XXXXXX could lead to unsatifactory results.

I would never suggest an OCZ unit to a person who tells me they are going to run an FX chip, Dual 7800's, a 5 drive Raid 5 array on a SCSI controller, 2 DVD drives, 4 fans, and 2 Cold Cathode tubes.....we do not offer a model of sufficient wattage.

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
I see UnG...you are talking about these Xeon rigs that guys are getting and OC'ing both the CPU's, etc.

You might be right about that and as I said...as long as someone told me (or any of the guys) that is what they are going to run....A single rail PSU might be more suited to that. :)

Ugly n Grey
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
LOL yeah Ryder, sorry I whacked my own post explaining the dual OC'd Xeons draw point... but exactly, see I explained to Ryder what I wanted and he recommended the correct product, customer service is working fine here :D

{PMS}fishy
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Better in what regards? All our PSU's are the same Quality...no 1 is better or has better technology than the other. Bigger yes....it has more available wattage and 12V power. So I don't understand your statement where we think its better?

The 600w doesn't have more available wattage than a 520w. In theory yes, but in pratice no. You are limited to what each rail can provide. If you are running 25a on one rail, then you are screwed with the 600w, yet the 520w will handle that with no issues at all.

Maybe I read into this too much.

If you require more power than either one of the rails can provide, yet less than the total of the two combined, than a single rail PSU of similar size would be a better solution.

I moved from a 600w to a 520w and all my issues went away.

All the computer was running aside from the MBs and CPUs was a 6800 Ultra and 2 HDDs.

Im my experience a big single rail PSU will out perform a dual rail all day long.

RyderOCZ
10-28-2005, 02:06 PM
The 600w doesn't have more available wattage than a 520w. In theory yes, but in pratice no. You are limited to what each rail can provide. If you are running 25a on one rail, then you are screwed with the 600w, yet the 520w will handle that with no issues at all.
That is not how it works....the 600W puts out 600W (700 peak) the 520W puts out 520 (620 peak) so yes the 600W is "bigger"

In the case of the Dual Xeons yes..I agree if those 2 CPUs are pulling 150+ watts apiece, then you probably do not want a Dual Rail PSU....if one of our guys advised that...they were not paying attention.

When running a Single CPU system or a more "normal" system. Dual 12V (or triple, Quad, whatever) is beneficial because you will never lose the juice to the CPU/Mobo when you peripherals...as you OC the CPU/mobo can draw the juice it needs, where as with a Single rail....you might actually get to the limit...depending on the number of Peripherals.

shogan191
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
So what would be your suggestion for the system I'm running. No one of any import suggested I use the OCZ 600 watt. That's just what I ended up with after my own research. I'm not expecting another exchange or anything just looking for answers on how to better use what I have or probably just a suggestion for something better for my current setup. Thanks

RyderOCZ
10-29-2005, 10:41 AM
I would try maybe an older PSU just to run the pump....see if that stops any rebooting etc?
If that does fix things then you are running into an "overload" situation on the peripherals 12V rail...The vid cards take up to 9A each...if you are OC'ing them you could be running into trouble.

A Single Large 12V rail PSU might suit your needs better.

{PMS}fishy
10-29-2005, 02:10 PM
When running a Single CPU system or a more "normal" system. Dual 12V (or triple, Quad, whatever) is beneficial because you will never lose the juice to the CPU/Mobo when you peripherals...as you OC the CPU/mobo can draw the juice it needs, where as with a Single rail....you might actually get to the limit...depending on the number of Peripherals.

I don't find that every to be the case, but thats me.

Anyways, semi on track, which connectors are on which rails of the PSU (600w).

Its a question I have asked before, and never gotten a straight answer to.

shogan191
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks Ryder. That's what it appears to be.

RyderOCZ
10-29-2005, 06:45 PM
The motherboard ATX connector and the P4 connector are on the smaller rated rail, all other connectors are on the larger rail.

That is how I understood it to be, but specs change w/o notice so they could have changed in the 2 months since that was explained to me.

NickS
10-29-2005, 08:26 PM
seriously man for the comp you have w/ watercooling and stuff, i'd opt for the PCP&C 850W SSI..no offense to you OCZ.