PDA

View Full Version : How beneficial are the UPS's?

SamHughe
10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
In terms of voltage regulation and prevention of power fluctuations. Would it be any different when OCing if you had one? I'm talking about something like this one. Nothing fancy.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/42-102-010-04.JPG

nn_step
10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Something that Puny wont do huge amount of good but IT will Help some..
a Good $250 UPS will last for decades and have more of you parts from surges than you would think and give you the Juice you need to save those final changes to your documents or Getting to the end of the level even when the Power goes out...

Dave in Daytona
10-25-2005, 07:44 PM
I won't run an important system without an APC UPS! :fact:

www.apc.com

uOpt
10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I once had several of those Maxtor harddrives that were apparently sensitive to headcrashes when power fluctuates (diamondmax 9).

I had a cheap UPS and a power fail caused by the UPS (while city power stayed up) killed one of the drives (city power another).

No more cheap UPS' for me. I now have an APC unit and it's fine.

SamHughe
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
We certainly get couple of power outages every year but I'm more concerned about power fluctations. Would one of those help me protect my sytem from spikes?

Dave in Daytona
10-26-2005, 07:05 PM
We certainly get couple of power outages every year but I'm more concerned about power fluctations. Would one of those help me protect my sytem from spikes?Yes & brownouts, too.

www.apc.com

Bar81
10-29-2005, 07:29 AM
www.apc.com

craig588
10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Mine kicks on at least once, but more frequently twice, a day just while I'm at home around it. This is mainly because of the crappy wiring in my town. I called up the power company one time to find out how much an upgrade a better line would be and I was quoted well over 100,000$. I take that as meaning that many miles of wire would need to be replaced, not just the line going to my house.

If your town has decent wiring a UPS won't help you nearly as much.

Dissolved
10-29-2005, 02:19 PM
i have dual apc 1500va's myself. one runs my tv and sound system, the other my computer. they work great.

KoolDrew
10-29-2005, 02:36 PM
I won't run an important system without an APC UPS! :fact:

www.apc.com

Ditto.

uOpt
10-31-2005, 01:57 PM
OK, I just suffered from UPS braindamage.

So far I had it in unmonitored mode for my home server. That's fine, it stays up until battery runs out and then crashes. When the power comes back up it boots again.

Now I have monitoring software installed and I cut myself out of my home systems.

The reason is that the UPS monitoring software detected that the battery was going low (way too early but that's besides the points here) and it shut down the computer. But that's braindead, because it doesn't come back up now. The battery is not empty, power never failed from the computer's perspective and it stays down.

How do people deal with this problem? I would need the UPS to reset power to the computer once city power appears stable again.

Any way to have that?

Dave in Daytona
10-31-2005, 02:23 PM
APC "PowerChute" software does a controlled shutdown &
uses "wake on" tech to restart the computer once normal power has been restored.

It works very well. :toast:

uOpt
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Sorry, what is "wake on tech"?

Is that some setting that the computer can tell the UPS "wake me in <x> minutes"?

Dave in Daytona
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Sorry, what is "wake on tech"?

Is that some setting that the computer can tell the UPS "wake me in <x> minutes"?As it uses the USB as opposed to the Ethernet,
I didn't want to call it "wake on LAN", but that is what it is. :toast:

uOpt
10-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Can you be more specific about what it does?

Dave in Daytona
10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=23&tab=features#anchor1

www.apc.com